Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's An Idea - Twins acquire Santana and R.A. Dickey

Here's An Idea - Twins acquire Santana and R.A. Dickey

Whether you believe the Twins can compete in 2013 or not would it be crazy to acquire Johan Santana and R.A. Dickey from the Mets? From the Twins perspective they would get at least one top of the rotation pitcher and possibly two if Santana regains his form after several years of injuries. Neither is signed to a long-term contract, though a 2-year, say $30M extension to Dickey would not necessarily be ridiculous. From the Mets perspective they would be trading a valuable commodity, a top-flight pitcher, but they would also be dumping about $31.5M in obligations for 2013 and $5.5M in obligations for 2014. Why it works: for the Twins these two pitchers would make them competitive in 2013 without breaking the bank as their payroll would rise to about $102M, maybe $105M+ if they signed yet another FA pitcher. They could take on that extra salary knowing this big splash would probably sell enough tickets to cushion the increase. For 2014, the additional payroll obligations - Dickey and a Santana buyout or extension - would be offset by the salaries of Blackburn ($5.5M) and Morneau ($15M) coming off the books. For the Mets, they get much needed breathing room to reset and rebuild for 2014 and beyond. Can it be done? The Twins may have to throw in a prospect or two to sweeten the deal and it might take a fairly good one that could help the Mets in say 2015. The deal would not compromise the Twins' flexibility and it might make them really competitive in their division in 2013.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    no thank you

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No thanks.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll trade Guerra back for Santana...

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    Whether you believe the Twins can compete in 2013 or not would it be crazy to acquire Johan Santana and R.A. Dickey from the Mets? From the Twins perspective they would get at least one top of the rotation pitcher and possibly two if Santana regains his form after several years of injuries. Neither is signed to a long-term contract, though a 2-year, say $30M extension to Dickey would not necessarily be ridiculous. From the Mets perspective they would be trading a valuable commodity, a top-flight pitcher, but they would also be dumping about $31.5M in obligations for 2013 and $5.5M in obligations for 2014. Why it works: for the Twins these two pitchers would make them competitive in 2013 without breaking the bank as their payroll would rise to about $102M, maybe $105M+ if they signed yet another FA pitcher. They could take on that extra salary knowing this big splash would probably sell enough tickets to cushion the increase. For 2014, the additional payroll obligations - Dickey and a Santana buyout or extension - would be offset by the salaries of Blackburn ($5.5M) and Morneau ($15M) coming off the books. For the Mets, they get much needed breathing room to reset and rebuild for 2014 and beyond. Can it be done? The Twins may have to throw in a prospect or two to sweeten the deal and it might take a fairly good one that could help the Mets in say 2015. The deal would not compromise the Twins' flexibility and it might make them really competitive in their division in 2013.
    Obviously this would be risky, but it seems worth thinking about. I would love to have Santana back and Dickey won the NL Cy Young last year. BUT I suspect that the Mets could do better elsewhere, unless the Twins are willing to give up one or two of their top prospects.

So you want to see more of Luis Perdomo, Samuel Deduno, Cole Devries, etc.?

The trade-off for the Mets is that they can't get both salary relief and top prospects. Remember, they are still paying Bernie Madoff's victims. Money is still tight; not by design but by necessity. Maybe the Twins would have to part with a Berrios, but maybe not.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I'll trade Guerra back for Santana...
    I'd throw him in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    I would be ok with a Santana and cash (to make salaries match) for Morneau swap. Santana is just too much of a risk to invest any time or money at this point. Trading for Morneau gives you a pitcher that could be great for a player you are not going to resign.
    Unfortunately, the Mets are in rebuilding mode so trading Santana for Morneau nets them nothing. With the Nationals, Braves and Phillies all significantly better than the Mets in 2013 and 2014, the Mets would want two things: 1) salary relief; and 2) prospect(s) who could help them in 2015 and beyond.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    I think the Mets would be fools to do so. They would minimize their return for Dickey by forcing Santana's contract. They should be able to get someone useful for Dickey alone. They can afford to bite the bullet on one more year of Santana since they are making no effort to compete this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I think the Mets would be fools to do so. They would minimize their return for Dickey by forcing Santana's contract. They should be able to get someone useful for Dickey alone. They can afford to bite the bullet on one more year of Santana since they are making no effort to compete this year.
    They might be able to "afford" one more year of Santana, but they would be fools to do so. They will NOT be able to compete with the Nationals, Phillies or Braves over the next two years so keeping Santana is like throwing money down a deep hole. If I'm a GM who needs pitching I would be all over them on these two pitchers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would throw in prospects like Harrison and goodrum along with benson to get the deal done. I thought this post was going to be ridiculous but really it makes total sense to me. The mets have to get rid of the salaries and if they can get some b to c prospects I'm sure they would dumb dickey to make it happen. Getting rid of Santana's contract is worth more to the mets than most people are assuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I would throw in prospects like Harrison and goodrum along with benson to get the deal done. I thought this post was going to be ridiculous but really it makes total sense to me. The mets have to get rid of the salaries and if they can get some b to c prospects I'm sure they would dumb dickey to make it happen. Getting rid of Santana's contract is worth more to the mets than most people are assuming.
    Haha. I'm assuming this is complete snark.

Seriously, I miss BYTO.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would throw in Blackburn to his contract is getting cheaper every day.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I would only do it if the Twins could bring in A-Rod as well, to help give competition for Plouffe at 3B, also maybe a veteran guy like Vernon Wells could help stabilize the FO

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I would only do it if the Twins could bring in A-Rod as well, to help give competition for Plouffe at 3B, also maybe a veteran guy like Vernon Wells could help stabilize the FO
    Dumbass

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Actually i suggested this earlier , not the R.A.Dickey part , but signing Liriano and trading for Johan .
    with a spanish speaking pitching coach and adding a spanish speaking catcher , reuniting Frankie
    with his mentor could add up to catching lightning in a bottle, i would tade some of our top 20 suspects and ask for 22
    of the 30 million Santana is owed,as for suspect s, maybe Morales, Salcedo and Hudson Boyd

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotholemike View Post
    the Mets would want two things: 1) salary relief; and 2) prospect(s) who could help them in 2015 and beyond.
    Sound like any team we know?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    If this would get it done, go for it. I doubt it, but worse things have happened. We would need to extend DIckey and have the Mets pick up some salary. But just getting Santana for some C prospects and Blackburn is a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast