Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to the tone?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    The snark will probably subside once the free agency blitz subsides and most of us end up disappointed in the Twins offseason. Apathy will set in and people will once again gang up on the shortcomings of the GM rather than each other.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Snark.....here? By who, when? I'm disappointed.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I just realized, we need sound...we need tone, like happy elevator music or something....of course, it is bad enough I am multi tasking at work, annoying my cube mates with sound is probably a bad idea......

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nobody knows Snark on here. Only KLAW Does!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    The happy glow from the trades is now gone. Back to wine, snark, and pseudo sarcasm.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    The happy glow from the trades is now gone. Back to wine, snark, and pseudo sarcasm.
    Yup. How long did that last?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    This board is child's play compared to the recently deceased "that which we do not speak of" board.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    It's a predominantly male site and 'pissing contests' will happen; often. I just tend to avoid the threads that start smelling like the alleys of Chicago. Well, and sometimes I brave them for the sheer entertainment factor and don't take it too seriously.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll just reiterate what Brock said - if you see people being uncivil, let us know. We've had an insane number of posts here over the last 72 hours, and I'm not afraid to delete/wrn/ban people if I've seen them, but we can't always see them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has been the most tame message board I have ever seen.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I'll just reiterate what Brock said - if you see people being uncivil, let us know. We've had an insane number of posts here over the last 72 hours, and I'm not afraid to delete/wrn/ban people if I've seen them, but we can't always see them.
    Hey i´ve been nice, even addmitted terry did a good job on the trade, but he missed out on taking Lara as a second pick in the rule 5 draft..
    ¨)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I could imagine the influx of many of the BYTO community probably contributed to some of the angst. The difference in ideas and philosophies was akin to getting water and oil to mix. But hey, if you shake the two together for long enough, eventually they'll come together.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Liked 720 Times in 382 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    I could imagine the influx of many of the BYTO community probably contributed to some of the angst. The difference in ideas and philosophies was akin to getting water and oil to mix. But hey, if you shake the two together for long enough, eventually they'll come together.
    I am glad to have the BYTO people. They have made everything spicier and more interesting.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Others have mentioned it, but many enjoy discussions more with a bit of snark and pushy banter. If this place enforced congeniality I'd find it totally lame.

As far as message board communities, the tone here is pretty standard. Welcome to the internet.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm in total agreement, and it's one of the reasons why I have been commenting less often.
    It seems like, especially the last few months, the comments in some posts have gotten pretty ugly.
    Granted, perhaps we might all be in better moods if the Twins hadn't lost almost 100 games last season and seem poised to do the same in 2013, but at times the name-calling and harshness gets a little old.
    Just a reminder but when you see name-calling, click on the grey triangle with the exclamation point in it (you'll see it just below the post). That will notify an admin and someone will take a look at the post.

As this community grows, people are going to be more rude. It's just how the Internet works. We try to stay on top of it but none of us can read every post, especially on busy days (this week has been pretty nuts traffic-wise).
    Actually, I felt as if it had improved a lot over the past couple of days. During moments of anxiety (the Span trade), tempers are going to flare. Now that the trade is behind us, it seems like more people are being civil. Just my opinion.
    And so just how does that work when it is an administrator, such as yourself, just yesterday, doing the deed? (remember the recent Twins, Jared Burton Agree on Contract Extension comment thread?)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    I'm in total agreement, and it's one of the reasons why I have been commenting less often.
    It seems like, especially the last few months, the comments in some posts have gotten pretty ugly.
    Granted, perhaps we might all be in better moods if the Twins hadn't lost almost 100 games last season and seem poised to do the same in 2013, but at times the name-calling and harshness gets a little old.
    Just a reminder but when you see name-calling, click on the grey triangle with the exclamation point in it (you'll see it just below the post). That will notify an admin and someone will take a look at the post.

As this community grows, people are going to be more rude. It's just how the Internet works. We try to stay on top of it but none of us can read every post, especially on busy days (this week has been pretty nuts traffic-wise).
    Actually, I felt as if it had improved a lot over the past couple of days. During moments of anxiety (the Span trade), tempers are going to flare. Now that the trade is behind us, it seems like more people are being civil. Just my opinion.
    And so just how does that work when it is an administrator, such as yourself, just yesterday, doing the deed? (remember the recent Twins, Jared Burton Agree on Contract Extension comment thread?)
    Doing the deed of what? Not calling you names and strongly disagreeing with your opinion?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Others have mentioned it, but many enjoy discussions more with a bit of snark and pushy banter. If this place enforced congeniality I'd find it totally lame.
    Enforce congeniality on a message board and you'll find yourself with an unpopulated message board.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Man, people are being mean spirited in their posts......is there a reason we cannot be respectful of each other while still strongly disagreeing in our ideas. We have long time people being condescending. We have people calling each other names. It would be awesome to come here and enjoy the site.....btw, some comments in posts are sarcastic, before responding, think about if the author was serious or not....
    We need some way to find if people are being sarcastic. Maybe we use some "patron saint of bad ideas" that we could use to let people know. How about, "as reported by Patrick Reusse".

Examples:
    We should have gone to 6 million for Marquis. As Reported by Patrick Reusse.

We could get James Shields for Ben Revere and Anthony Slama. As Reported by Patrick Reusse.
    How's about "as posted by VodkaDave?"
    Works for me.

Can we replace all your comments in anything related to WAR with an old guy on a porch yelling at the kids to get off his lawn?

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post

Doing the deed of what? Not calling you names and strongly disagreeing with your opinion?
    That is about how I figured it would work. Never mind.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by syves View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Man, people are being mean spirited in their posts......is there a reason we cannot be respectful of each other while still strongly disagreeing in our ideas. We have long time people being condescending. We have people calling each other names. It would be awesome to come here and enjoy the site.....btw, some comments in posts are sarcastic, before responding, think about if the author was serious or not....
    We need some way to find if people are being sarcastic. Maybe we use some "patron saint of bad ideas" that we could use to let people know. How about, "as reported by Patrick Reusse".

Examples:
    We should have gone to 6 million for Marquis. As Reported by Patrick Reusse.

We could get James Shields for Ben Revere and Anthony Slama. As Reported by Patrick Reusse.
    How's about "as posted by VodkaDave?"
    Speaking of snark...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast