Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Article: If 2013 Isn't Realistic, Twins' Focus Turns To 2014

  1. #1
    Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    542
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    401

    Article: If 2013 Isn't Realistic, Twins' Focus Turns To 2014


  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    967
    Like
    3
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post

    Nice article.

    I am wondering if the higher cost of FA SP is going to mean the Twins are going to back off starting pitching from even what was intended when John Bonnes interviewed Ryan. Even pitchers like Edwin Jackson may be asking too much for them. However, it's not like the market will be cheaper next year.

    If they aren't going to delve as deeply this year, they will pay a price in that people won't show at the games. There's also no reason to keep Willingham and Morneau, and they'd need to trade them now.

    There's still some time left, but the quotes do seem ominous.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    And the pitching will be even more expensive next off-season. And the season after that. And the huge drop in attendance when they punt? How will that help the payroll?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Posts
    550
    Like
    16
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

    If they aren't going to delve as deeply this year, they will pay a price in that people won't show at the games. There's also no reason to keep Willingham and Morneau, and they'd need to trade them now.
    I'd agree more with Willingham since he is unlikely to increase his value during the season. If Morneau can show health and slight improvement from last year he would certainly gain value and might be a good July trade to a contending team in need of a 1B who at that point is only owed $7M.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    7,007
    Like
    1,150
    Liked 660 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I was thinking that we should consider tearing this thing down back in May. It don't sound like TR was going to go that direction as the season progressed... so I thought... Ok... Let's get some pitching and give it a shot in 2013.

    Now I'm back to...

    I don't know... someone tell me where I'm at...

  6. #6
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,161
    Like
    19
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Not long ago it sounded like Gardenhire had one year left to right the ship. Does the coaching staff still get cleaned out if Ryan once again fails to do his job by giving the on-field staff anything close to a competent rotation?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I was thinking that we should consider tearing this thing down back in May. It don't sound like TR was going to go that direction as the season progressed... so I thought... Ok... Let's get some pitching and give it a shot in 2013.

    Now I'm back to...

    I don't know... someone tell me where I'm at...
    Im in your boat, like this is mind bottling.

  8. #8
    If the Twins go into rebuilding mode, they need to advertise the team in a different way. They will save on payroll (might even get something from mlb) and revenue will slip. But that means - THEY HAVE THAT MUCH MORE TO SPEND IN 2014 - RIGHT?!?

  9. #9
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,077
    Like
    14
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Just because they won't be competitive in 2013 doesn't mean they should avoid FA starters. There is no reason they can't go out and sign a solid pitcher to a 3 yr contract even if that is overpaying. Rebuilding does not mean that every veteran has to be traded regardless of the trade package and FA's need to be avoided. There is virtually nobody that will be blocked by signing a solid veteran starter or two.

    I think they should consider dealing Morneau or Willingham if the deal is right but they can wait until midseason. They aren't blocking anyone since Hicks and Arcia could use half a year in AAA.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,755
    Like
    131
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Dove tailing with kab...

    The Twins should be in the business of acquiring assets whether they are competitive or not in 2013. Any players in acquired during this free agency can be used to acquire additional assets for when we actually are competitive. To simply hold onto our money or spend it in another year misses myriad opportunities this offseason. The Twins should be thinking about what players that are available now will have inflated values during the trade deadline or the next offseason if they truly are punting 2013.

    The myth of competing in 2013 can lead to real assets moving forward, but that myth probably needs to be maintained to acquire such players (at least through FA).

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    No way, I still expect the Twins to sign Greinke, Sanchez, and Dempster to long-term contracts and go for it all in 2013!

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,776
    Like
    4
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I was thinking that we should consider tearing this thing down back in May. It don't sound like TR was going to go that direction as the season progressed... so I thought... Ok... Let's get some pitching and give it a shot in 2013.

    Now I'm back to...

    I don't know... someone tell me where I'm at...
    You're at . . . as clueless as I am. Ridding the team of Span for someone who will not pitch legitimately for the Twins before 2014 indicates a blowup and that is what should be done with one more trade of Morneau for another similar pitcher. I said go big or go big. That meant stick with this team with no trades and load up on FA pitchers or trade multiple players for the future.

    half-assing it is a terrible idea. That is what they will do. Saunders and Liriano!!???

  13. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Posts
    563
    Like
    13
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
    Last September, Ryan directly told the Season Ticket Holders that he would do what was necessary to build a contending Team in 2013. That was when the Twins were asking for our Money. Now that they have it, the story might be changing. Keep dumping on us and see what happens!

  14. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,388
    Like
    50
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    If the Twins are essentially giving up on 2013 they should be looking to trade Willingham and Morneau this season as well. If they trade Morneau and Willingham then realistically the Twins won't be competitive until 2015 or perhaps 2016. In 2015 Mauer will be 32 years old. The Twins will be paying $25M still for his services but we will have wasted his best years on non contending teams. So just as we are becoming competitive again Mauer will be winding down his career and still owed a boatload of money. I am not sure how I feel about that. Should we be looking to trade Mauer (assuming he gives the OK) just because we don't want a $25M anchor around our necks in the out years without the benefit of being competitive during his productive years?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    289
    Like
    4
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Dove tailing with kab...

    The Twins should be in the business of acquiring assets whether they are competitive or not in 2013. Any players in acquired during this free agency can be used to acquire additional assets for when we actually are competitive. To simply hold onto our money or spend it in another year misses myriad opportunities this offseason. The Twins should be thinking about what players that are available now will have inflated values during the trade deadline or the next offseason if they truly are punting 2013.

    The myth of competing in 2013 can lead to real assets moving forward, but that myth probably needs to be maintained to acquire such players (at least through FA).
    Very well stated. I completely agree. Marcum, McCarthy, Myers, Liriano and Villanueva are guys that can be had on 1-2 year deals and have the upside to be able to get a decent to good return in a future trade.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,605
    Like
    496
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    If you sign Marcum for three years, he is here in the years you are planning for. If you cannot sign 3 pitchers in one year, why not sign at least one now?

  17. #17
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Dove tailing with kab...

    The Twins should be in the business of acquiring assets whether they are competitive or not in 2013. Any players in acquired during this free agency can be used to acquire additional assets for when we actually are competitive. To simply hold onto our money or spend it in another year misses myriad opportunities this offseason. The Twins should be thinking about what players that are available now will have inflated values during the trade deadline or the next offseason if they truly are punting 2013.

    The myth of competing in 2013 can lead to real assets moving forward, but that myth probably needs to be maintained to acquire such players (at least through FA).
    I still have a glimmer of hope that the Twins can compete in 2013. This division is pretty bad.

    With that said, Pseudo is 100% correct. You spend some money now and try to keep it within reason so you're not hamstrung in 2015 and beyond. If the Twins continue to be awful, then trade off some of those assets you bought in FA.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    772
    Like
    344
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Dove tailing with kab...

    The Twins should be in the business of acquiring assets whether they are competitive or not in 2013. Any players in acquired during this free agency can be used to acquire additional assets for when we actually are competitive. To simply hold onto our money or spend it in another year misses myriad opportunities this offseason. The Twins should be thinking about what players that are available now will have inflated values during the trade deadline or the next offseason if they truly are punting 2013.

    The myth of competing in 2013 can lead to real assets moving forward, but that myth probably needs to be maintained to acquire such players (at least through FA).
    I still have a glimmer of hope that the Twins can compete in 2013. This division is pretty bad.

    With that said, Pseudo is 100% correct. You spend some money now and try to keep it within reason so you're not hamstrung in 2015 and beyond. If the Twins continue to be awful, then trade off some of those assets you bought in FA.
    I'm in agreement with this sentiment. What do you think Ryan and his team, in the privacy of their own conference room, are shooting for in 2013? I believe they view the worst case scenario as maybe 77 wins, and this means you have to pick up at least two starters that surpass the "Diamond Standard" (Edward Thoma's term). Now, if those two are Saunders and McCarthy as opposed to Sanibel and Jackson? Then I think they fall short of their best case scenario, which is competing for the division. I think it's very likely that they've given up hope of the best case because the trade and FA market are being uncooperative. But that doesn't preclude them from still signing, say, Marcum, Lannan, Liriano, etc. and expecting to win closer to half their games in 2013. We all know there are two things they will NOT do, which is to mortgage their future or to break the bank.

    Bottom line is I still think it's reasonable to hope they add two pitchers in that 2nd tier of Marcum/McCarthy, and maybe one or two Liriano/Lannan/ Jurgens types to vie for the #5-6 starter role with the 9 other guys we have of that ilk.

  19. #19
    Member Single-A rogrulz30's Avatar
    Posts
    53
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Last September, Ryan directly told the Season Ticket Holders that he would do what was necessary to build a contending Team in 2013. That was when the Twins were asking for our Money. Now that they have it, the story might be changing. Keep dumping on us and see what happens!

    Saunders and Liriano would really question TR and the Twins, in my mind it has to be a younger guy like McCarthy, otherwise let everyone get there money from another team, and unload Morneau/Willingham and let the Hendriks, DeVries, Gibson, Deduno, Meyer thing work. We can't just sign guys to fill a rotation and spend needless money, if you are going to rebuild, let the fans know that and take the lumps in 2013.

  20. #20
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,677
    Like
    32
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by rogrulz30 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Highabove View Post
    Last September, Ryan directly told the Season Ticket Holders that he would do what was necessary to build a contending Team in 2013. That was when the Twins were asking for our Money. Now that they have it, the story might be changing. Keep dumping on us and see what happens!
    Saunders and Liriano would really question TR and the Twins, in my mind it has to be a younger guy like McCarthy, otherwise let everyone get there money from another team, and unload Morneau/Willingham and let the Hendriks, DeVries, Gibson, Deduno, Meyer thing work. We can't just sign guys to fill a rotation and spend needless money, if you are going to rebuild, let the fans know that and take the lumps in 2013.
    If you have the money (and the Twins do), there's no reason you can't do both. Trade some of your valuable assets to restock the farm (as it appears Ryan is doing) and pick up some free agents that won't do damage to your longterm payroll. The path to winning is homegrown talent but in the meantime, that doesn't mean you can't field a team that isn't awful through the help of free agency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.