Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Shift In Free Agency Strategy Doesn't Favor The Minnesota Twins

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While we're talking about apples, I discovered SweeTango apples awhile back. It changed my life.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Are we going to discuss oranges next?
    Maybe in some other thread. Certainly not here. That would be like... I don't know... two totally different things.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I would sign Zack 8 years 25 m go with the best. In 3 years he worth 30m, in 6 he is worth 40m, you can flip him any time for a boat load of prospects. CC, Pettitte, Doc, lee, ect. all did fine. Even Clemens still wants to pitch, What is not to like, you can buy insurance too.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Laugh, did I.

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Are we going to discuss oranges next?
    Maybe in some other thread. Certainly not here. That would be like... I don't know... two totally different things.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like Bedard and Marcum.

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I buy Honeycrisp apples too...bought some Sunday...totally worth the extra money needed to get them
    Nice. I bet they really taste good in October, too.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I buy Honeycrisp apples. They cost $2.39/lb. My second favorite species cost $1.69.
    Looking at your list, John, excluding Greinke and Sanibel, I only see about five Honeycrisp apples. Problem is, they're priced at $4.69/lb. I imagine Ryan goes with my second favorite species. That'll be dissappointing.
    On this we have found common ground, bw. I vastly prefer a Honeycrisp (or a Sweetango!) to a Granny Smith any day. Unfortunately, I get the distinct impression that Ryan will end up with the shriveled Granny at the bottom of the barrel.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    One of the more underrated blog posts recently was this one by John and I think it got overlooked due to the great trade Ryan made with Revere but after Ryan’s interview with Reusse and Mackey on Friday (12/7) I am more convinced that John hit this on the head. Reusse started the section on Free Agency this way:

Reusse: “It seems like Jackson is waiting for Anibal, and the guys after Anibel are waiting for him to sign. It seems like the boys at the top have to sign before we know what the price of poker is.”

Ryan has a couple of ways to go here. He can acknowledge that 13 of the top 32 guys have already signed, roughly %40 of the market, and that free agency is working differently this year as John pointed out in this article. Or he can do this:

Ryan: “You’re right, this is the way it works in Free Agency. Before those guys at the tops sign it is amazing about that logjam. Everyone is waiting to see where Greinke goes, or Lohse goes. Until that frees up everyone is at a standstill.

Emphasis is mine above. When something is %40 complete and still moving forward there is not a reasonable person in the world that can say it is at a standstill. Terry Ryan has still not adjusted to the reality of this market and we may find out at the end of the offseason that many of the good deals on guys with some potential upside were actually signed before Greinke.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12