Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Shift In Free Agency Strategy Doesn't Favor The Minnesota Twins

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Shift In Free Agency Strategy Doesn't Favor The Minnesota Twins

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Interesting to see the lists laid out and I think you are right. The Twins have often seemed to sit back and let the market come to them but other teams seem to be making preemptive strikes.

I don't see pitchers in the top group "falling" in years or dollars into what the Twins would want to pay. There seems to be a lot of teams out there with a lot of money. It's pretty hard to ignore what some of the new TV deals are doing to the market.

I never saw the Twins as being able to acquire enough pitching to be really competitive in 2013. The question for me is how they should play this to be really competitive down the road. Do they put their money into short term pitching deals that may only marginally improve the team for 2013 or should they be looking to use some of that money to upgrade positions with the idea of possibly flipping those players for pitching depth at the trade deadline or next offseason? Can they mine a few undervalued postion player prospects (like Willingham) and then capitalize on them as time goes on?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    It is not over paying if that is what the market gives every year. That is the market they choose to be a part of if they want to own a MLB team. Oh, and the price goes up every year....so their hesitancy is only going to get worse.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the signings to this point reflect 2 things. Many teams aren't interested in long term committments. Too many of those don't work out that well, and unless you are the Yankees or a few other teams, it can be pretty hard to work around a lot of money tied up in useless talent. A 2nd part of that is that some of the perceived top talent might be asking for a lot more than most teams are willing to pay. Some of those talents might have to readjust their asking price. Or perhaps as you suggest, some team will decide to overpay.

In any case, part of the Twins problem is that they need more than one free agent pitcher. If you only need one, you target a couple of guys, the one that comes closest to what you are willing to pay, go for it. When you need 3 or 4 guys, like the Twins do, it is a bit harder to follow that approach.

Senior Member MVP
    Or you could get even 1 for three years, then add another when Justins deal comes off the books next year....still hoping......

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I buy Honeycrisp apples. They cost $2.39/lb. My second favorite species cost $1.69.
    Looking at your list, John, excluding Greinke and Sanibel, I only see about five Honeycrisp apples. Problem is, they're priced at $4.69/lb. I imagine Ryan goes with my second favorite species. That'll be dissappointing.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It might actually force the Twins to go up. Given the organizational lack of pitching in the minors, I'd still likely target one of these big names, as they are going to need pitching now, and in 2014/15... I'd go after Sanchez whom I think has the best chance of all of them to deliver maximum value on that type of contract.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I buy Honeycrisp apples too...bought some Sunday...totally worth the extra money needed to get them

Senior Member MVP
    I agree with puck....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Or, it's a realization that unless the Twins make a blow-away offer to the better talent
    all they can do is wait to see who nobody else wants and then make a deal. That's part of the problem of being a losing team, the better players won't play for you unless offered substantially more money.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 385 Times in 236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    I buy Honeycrisp apples. They cost $2.39/lb. My second favorite species cost $1.69.
    Looking at your list, John, excluding Greinke and Sanibel, I only see about five Honeycrisp apples. Problem is, they're priced at $4.69/lb. I imagine Ryan goes with my second favorite species. That'll be dissappointing.
    Actually, John's point seems to be that your second favorite choice is already sold out so now it's go big or go home.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Actually, John's point seems to be that your second favorite choice is already sold out so now it's go big or go home.
    I think Birdwatcher's point, and mine too, is that Honeycrisp apples are delicious!

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you just bump Marcum up to the upper tier and drop Saunders to the 3rd tier, it gives a pretty clear picture of what the Twins are facing now. I'm not altogether sure that a couple of those remaining upper tier pitchers might not end up a bit disappointed in their contracts, though. Yes the rumors for all of those guys have multiple teams "interested," but they seem to be the same handful of teams. The Dodgers are reportedly considering going after both Greinke and Sanchez, but how many others will hand big bucks to more than one of these pitchers? The Angels for example appear to have a pretty full rotation already, yet they're still mentioned as suitors for some of those upper tier guys.

But you're right, it's going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. The Twins may indeed find that their best path to legitimate pitching is the trade market and that could mean they have to face the possibility of coughing up prospects, which they've also been averse to doing in the past.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Minor update: Please cross Feldman off, he signed with the Cubs.

Given we know that pitchers are accepting reasonable/good offers already by the fact that so many have signed and given the fact that we know through the reporting of LEN3 that the Twins have many offers out I think we can conclude the Twins are not offering reasonable/good contracts and are throwing out lowball offers and seeing what, if anything, sticks. It is disappointing knowing we could have Haren ($13 million), Blanton ($6 Million) and a fringe guy like Francis ($1.5 million) all on 1 or 2 year deals and all within budget.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I buy Honeycrisp apples too...bought some Sunday...totally worth the extra money needed to get them
    Couldnt have said it better Puck. Sometimes spending that little bit of extra money is absolutely worth it.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Well, now I understand why so many of you are enamored with Joe Mauer and why I find him dull and boring.

Regardless of the difference in price, I never buy honeycrisps. They are okay to eat but I'd rather have a nice tart Haralson any day although I usually have to settle for a Braeburn cuz Haralsons have limited availability.

And honeycrisps are far too sweet to use IN anything. And one apple doesn't a dessert make.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Perhaps the tone of this thread will chnge when the next update is included?

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I think Birdwatcher's point, and mine too, is that Honeycrisp apples are delicious!
    No. Delicious is a totally different variety, and vastly inferior.

Oh, and Fuji, FTW!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Well, now I understand why so many of you are enamored with Joe Mauer and why I find him dull and boring.

Regardless of the difference in price, I never buy honeycrisps. They are okay to eat but I'd rather have a nice tart Haralson any day although I usually have to settle for a Braeburn cuz Haralsons have limited availability.

And honeycrisps are far too sweet to use IN anything. And one apple doesn't a dessert make.
    Many people think Braeburns are applesauce with a skin on them. I would think someone who likes Braeburns would like Mauer.
    When he plays poorly he is like a Braeburn. When he is good he is like a Honeycrisp.
    Best apple for baking is a Winesap.

Are we going to discuss oranges next?

Senior Member MVP
    Fuji and honeycrisp for eating..all others for baking and sauces.....though I hear there some new varieties coming soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast