Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gammons: Red Sox willing to take on all of Mauer's contract

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gammons: Red Sox willing to take on all of Mauer's contract

Jesse Lund at TwinkieTown.com says that Peter Gammons told MLB Network that the Red Sox were willing to acquire Joe Mauer -- including his entire salary.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, yeah. There's no way in hell a team trades a franchise catcher that OPSes around .850 with a .410 OBP and eats part of the contract.

I'm not a fan of trading Mauer (AT ALL) but there's a small part of me that would love to see him tear it up in Fenway. He might be a perennial 1.000 OPS guy in that park.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Still not happening.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    At first I thought this might be a good idea. But since it is clear they refuse to sign legit free agents, I am now opposed to this idea.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    At first I thought this might be a good idea. But since it is clear they refuse to sign legit free agents, I am now opposed to this idea.
    Given this market, they're not going to get somebody as good (much less better) than Mauer for $23m. It doesn't make any sense to trade the guy because all you have to do after that is go overpay somebody else.

Senior Member MVP
    I had hoped they would use that money, combined with the other money they have already freed up, to sign two or three of the tier 1 pitchers. But since it looks like even with tens of millions to spend, and having Mauer, they will not even sign a tier 2 guy.....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    Good idea, get that payroll down around 60m so Terry and the Pohlads are happy. We still have Drew to step in Mauers spot!
    It would appear that Mauer will be past his prime before the Twins can contend again so if the Sux offer Bogaerts, Barnes and Webster for him do it. We can lose 90+ games with him or without him.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, yeah. There's no way in hell a team trades a franchise catcher that OPSes around .850 with a .410 OBP and eats part of the contract.

I'm not a fan of trading Mauer (AT ALL) but there's a small part of me that would love to see him tear it up in Fenway. He might be a perennial 1.000 OPS guy in that park.
    I agree. What's the single-season doubles record? I seriously think he would break it in Monster doubles alone.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its kind of interesting that Boston seems to really really really really really want Mauer. I'm honestly not sure why. They were horrible last year and should be thinking rebuild, instead they want an expensive contract.

I'm not a huge fan of trading Mauer, and if I were Ryan, I'd be insisting they gave up the farm to get him too... that's about the only way I trade Mauer. The PR hit in the short term would be bad, but for the right prospects, this team would be setup very well come 2015.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,267 Times in 678 Posts
    Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.

Senior Member MVP
    Twinsnorth showing his age.....

FWIW from Twitter

MLB Network Radio@MLBNetworkRadio Terry Ryan, Twins General Manager, tells us that they will listen to all offers on Joe Mauer & Justin Morneau. They need pitching

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Peter Gammons = Mr. Red Sox Dream on!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    FWIW from Twitter

MLB Network Radio@MLBNetworkRadio Terry Ryan, Twins General Manager, tells us that they will listen to all offers on Joe Mauer & Justin Morneau. They need pitching
    Well yeah, it would be dumb not to listen to all offers.

But to get Mauer I think there are very few players they could take in return and not be absolutely roasted by the media/fans. It's not going to happen.

Senior Member MVP
    It was a great use of a classic line.....

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    FWIW from Twitter

Well yeah, it would be dumb not to listen to all offers.

But to get Mauer I think there are very few players they could take in return and not be absolutely roasted by the media/fans. It's not going to happen.
    Not sure where anyone (including me) said it was going to happen.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we traded Mauer we'd essentially be admitting that 'No, the Twins never want to own a ~$20 million player.' Because he's worth the money. So financially, I guess if you can find a reasonable alternative. whatever. But if there's ever a ~$20 million dollar player that - specifically the Twins - should own, this is the one. The Pohlads have made it clear that half of revenue will be spent on players, so the money will be there, and a large chunk of it should go to Mauer. Fans love him (and they create the revenue) and he's worth it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    I think many of you are quick to dismiss this idea. While trading Mauer would certainly hurt in the short term it might be the best long term option. We aren't going to be competitive in 2013 (unless TR all of a sudden decides to spend on FA). We are going to be a transitioning team in 2014. 2015 we might be competitive but 2016+ is looking potentially very strong.

In 2013 & '14 Mauer is going to be at his peak but will be wasted on bad teams. By the time 2015 rolls around he will be 32 years old. He probably will be out from behind the plate full time and his hitting could very well be starting to slide. Now you've got years 32-35 of Mauer while you are actually good but he is not (this is all relative of course, he could still put up OK numbers but probably not near his MVP days that he is getting paid for).

The real kicker here is the payroll flexibility. We will be paying Mauer $23M for what almost certainly won't be $23M worth of production. We will have so much money wrapped up in Mauer that we won't have much money to go out and sign (or re-sign) that piece we need to put us over the top.

While in the short term trading Mauer would be a big PR hit in the long term the payroll flexibility combined with hopefully a very competitive team in 2015+ might making it beneficial.

Liked 2,280 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox may pay the entire salary but the entire salary would lessen the return in my opinion... And if the return is lessened... The reason to move Mauer is also lessened.

If Money is freed up in a Mauer deal... In my opinion... There is nothing worthwhile to spend it on at the moment. We got enough money to spend on what is currently out there with Joes salary factored in.

if the Red Sox want to take the salary and give us a real nice package of players... Goodbye Joe... I'll miss you... I've loved watching you play.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    We will be paying Mauer $23M for what almost certainly won't be $23M worth of production.
    Given what we've seen in the past few weeks, I very much think the Twins will be getting $23m of production from Mauer. Guys like BJ Upton are getting $15m a year now. Jose Reyes goes from $10m to $22m in 2014. Greinke, a borderline #1 at best, looks to approach $20m a year. Sanchez, who isn't as good as Greinke, is asking for $16-17m.

I'm perfectly content with Mauer at $23m, provided he doesn't completely break down.

FWIW, you can add the 2012 WAR of Greinke AND Sanchez together and they're about the same value as Mauer by himself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast