Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    CF is going to need to be a track star to get all the balls...our pitchers are gonna give up runs. with this OF.
    A bold prediction that a pitching staff will allow runs. And to the outfield even!!!

By most every account I've ever read, Hicks could be every bit the defensive CF that Revere is. He may not have the raw speed, but he's close, and Revere had plenty of, to put it kindly, "questionable" reads off the bat which he could recover from to make highlight plays with his wheels. Those are plays that Hicks, who is said to have excellent reads off the bat, also makes with ease.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never mind. Sizemore is having surgery yet again.

Blog Entries
    I think the Twins must be rolling with either Mastro or Hicks because there is no CF out there that they could possibly sign.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    In October, Sickels came out with his preliminary top 50 Pitching prospects. Meyers was 28 and May was 32. Can't imagine that much has changed since mid Oct? Looks like a top 100 (or close to it) guy to me.
    Thanks for that! I sure hope he would drop out of the Top 100.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Never mind. Sizemore is having surgery yet again.
    Haha i was just about to let you know that. Sizemore's career seems to be over. Sad....He was a hell of a ballplayer when healthy.

Blog Entries
    TR just said that Nick Blackburn should "bounce back" this year.

So there's that.

Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
    Twins pr firm can rerun the "get to know the Twins" this coming season
    I like the trade, but will miss Revere's enthusiasm and this team needs someone with "spunk". Alot of quiet non descript guys on this roster.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,300 Times in 775 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins must be rolling with either Mastro or Hicks because there is no CF out there that they could possibly sign.
    They can not possibly believe Mastro can be a full-timer, even in a transitional season, can they?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    They can not possibly believe Mastro can be a full-timer, even in a transitional season, can they?
    I don't believe they do, indications are that at best he's some sort of stop-gap for Hicks, Benson or Arcia until May or June.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    As has been said many times already, Revere was certainly fun to watch but only a fool wouldn't be happy about this trade. Now I'd love to see us sign Marcum to a 3 year deal to have a solid, veteran arm in the rotation to go along with the young guys who will be coming up over the next 3 years.

A shortstop that doesn't make me weep would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

The Twins absolutely have the money to do both. It's just unfortunate that the middle infield class is so weak this offseason.
    Which is why I still think they should go all out for Anibel Sanchez... Even if both of these guys turn out to be good, there's 5 spots and not much else in the pipeline to fill them with.

Any chance they could pry Zack Cozart and Robert Stephenson or Kyle Lotzkar away from the Reds? Would Carroll and Willingham get that done?
    Last edited by robbie111; 12-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The distance between Worley and PJ Waters (or whomever he's replacing in the rotation) is greater than the distance between Revere and Mastroianni/Benson/Hicks. Our pitching is that gawdawful.

Worley >>>>> Waters ; Revere >> Mastro

This trade makes the Twins better in 2013 and beyond.
    Unfortunately, you have to factor the trade into the totality of all the moves thus far, the loss of Span, plus Revere, is crushing to the top of the lineup and to the OF defense. Again, Worley pitches one in five games, Span and Revere played virtually every day of the week.
    And when he pitches, Worley, like any starter, has about as much power to affect the outcome of the game as the other 9 guys combined. Revere was a fine ballplayer, but any organization that considers the loss of a .330-ish OBP from the top of a lineup "crushing" isn't going anywhere anyway. Given that the Twins entered the offseason with a 2013 rotation with only one certain member, and one with only one year in the majors to boot, it seems to me like they've had their doubts about contending in 2013 before the winter meetings even started.

A quick and dirty WAR comparison says Revere/Deduno = Mastro/Worley in 2012, with Mastro playing part time and Worley missing a quarter of the season. I think they have a good chance to equal or exceed what Revere and Deduno might have done/ will do for the Twins in 2013.
    But you omitted the part of my comment about the crushing blow being the loss of Span and Revere. I'm confident in my belief that Mastro is not going to replace that loss and Revere's WAR will rise as a CF while Deduno getting a WAR rating close to the value of Worley only shows how imperfect WAR is as a tool.

Quick check of BR oWAR combined w/ BR pitching WAR shows Revere/Deduno @ 2.3 and Mastro/Worley @ 1.1, quite different than Fangraphs WAR ratings.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-06-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The only chance is by trading Willingham. I'm not a fan of Lotzkar and I doubt Cozart is available but I think someone out of the Stephenson/Corcino/Cingrani could be available for Willingham if the Reds choose the trade route. I see them signing Ludwick though.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I don't believe they do, indications are that at best he's some sort of stop-gap for Hicks, Benson or Arcia until May or June.
    This has probably been stated elsewhere, but Ryan gave his full endorsement to Benson to make a play for the job, so they're likely going to hold back Hicks until at least June- so The Maestro and Benson it is!

Liked 303 Times in 168 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was really looking forward to watching Revere play CF in 2013, but it seems to me that this was a good trade for the Twins.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    All to often during the Pohlad era have the Twins hoarded players because they may be good someday only to lose them when they run out of options and turn out to not be as good when they are closer to the big leagues. Finally TR took his greatest assets, OF - specifically CF and traded for his deficiencies. The Twins have been behind the curve with power pitchers. These trades and the last draft have finally addressed those needs. Even if our kiddie OF'ers aren't quite ready, Worley, May and Meyer give the Twins a fighting chance. There still is a long way to go, but with an infield of Parmelee, Rosario, Santana, and Sano; and an outfield of Hicks, Arcia, Kepler and Buxton not that far off, there is much hope. And defense in the infield is not as much of a problem when you have pitchers that strike out guys in bunches.

Nothing's set in stone at this point, and obviously some of the prospects could be busts, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel. The Twins are finally using their assets properly.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 12-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I was really looking forward to watching Revere play CF in 2013, but it seems to me that this was a good trade for the Twins.
    Man, I didn't think I would ever even question that I would be happy about even thinking about Mastro playing CF full time for the Twins.

Hard throwing power pitchers?! WHAT is going on? Here in MT me and my buddy had drinks tonight to celebrate trading 2 of our favorite players. Cheers to you JR.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great job, Terry Ryan. Glad to have you back running the show. While I will miss watching Revere running around the diamond, I don't see why anybody would cause a fuss about trading him. I honestly think Hicks can equal, if not exceed, Revere's production this year.

Revere's minor league slash line: .325/.383/.787
    Hicks' minor league slash line: .271/.379/.800
    Mastroianni's mi.lg. slash line: .279/.368/.739

If Hicks isn't quite ready, Mastro can keep his place warm for a month or two. As a top of the order guy, isn't OBP the most important? Hicks is already Revere's equal there. He also has substantially more upside, potentially moving to the middle of the order if his power continues to develop. Revere's OPS was inflated by his first two years. Hicks' second best OPS was last year. Revere may cover more ground, but Hicks is no slouch and has an above average/great arm (potential as a P in draft).

Something else to ponder:
    Hunter in his Age 22 year (Mostly AA New Britain, end at AAA Salt Lake): .295/.333/.796
    Hicks in his Age 22 year (AA New Britain): .288/.384/.844

Hicks put up similar power numbers, but better OBP.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 811 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Hunter in his Age 22 year (Mostly AA New Britain, end at AAA Salt Lake): .295/.333/.796

Also note that the good part of Hunter's age 22 OPS came from his time in Salt Lake, a place where I think I could OPS at .700.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post

Also note that the good part of Hunter's age 22 OPS came from his time in Salt Lake, a place where I think I could OPS at .700.
    Inflated numbers yes, but small sample size. Less than 100 AB.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213