Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I guess my purchase of the Nothing Runs Like A Revere t-shirt 2 days ago was the Kiss of Death. Great trade but love Revere.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Exactly.....Is Morneau and Willingham next?!
    Hard to say. I think they'll open the season with both, really.

But if there is still a market for outfielders, I'm sure Ryan will listen. After all, there are divisions outside the NL East that might need an outfielder.

PUMPED ABOUT THIS TRADE!! If Hicks isnt ready we can always use Bensons service time next year rather than waste Hicks. I imagine Hicks will win the job in Spring Training though. We now have pitching depth at AA and down!! 2014 we will be an up and coming team, 2015 look out! Terry Ryan is a Jedi!

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    A crazy idea.... would Gardy Sizemore be a good pick up if signed on a make good contract or is he still hurt? I haven't heard anyone say they thought Hicks or the other guys would be ready this spring.
    Sizemore just had another knee surgery, but if his first name was really "Gardy" the Twins would probably take him anyway.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/87...son-agent-says

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess the "value of Ben Revere" question can be put to rest...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I don't really understand why trading Revere all of sudden makes this a no doubt rebuild year. The Twins did not have a starting rotation and weren't going anywhere until that was addressed. That would have been impossible to fix w/o trading something away. In some ways this sets the Twins up to make a little bigger splash in FA although I don't expect it. They freed up Span's 5M and filled one of their pitching holes with a guy making the MLB minimum. Fewer holes to fill with the same amount of money allows them to pick up a better player (possibly). They also now have 3 legit pitching prospects that will come up in '13/'14.

In addition to that it's also possible that this pushes the Hicks timetable up and many have been disappointed that it didn't look like he would be in the majors early next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I don't really understand why trading Revere all of sudden makes this a no doubt rebuild year. The Twins did not have a starting rotation and weren't going anywhere until that was addressed. That would have been impossible to fix w/o trading something away. In some ways this sets the Twins up to make a little bigger splash in FA although I don't expect it. They freed up Span's 5M and filled one of their pitching holes with a guy making the MLB minimum. Fewer holes to fill with the same amount of money allows them to pick up a better player (possibly). They also now have 3 legit pitching prospects that will come up in '13/'14.

In addition to that it's also possible that this pushes the Hicks timetable up and many have been disappointed that it didn't look like he would be in the majors early next year.
    Spot on. IMO, the loss of Revere is more than compensated for by the addition of Worley to the rotation. And May isn't far behind either.

We were in the right place at the rigth time for this trade. Phillies needed a CF and did not have the budget $ for Bourn (or Hamilton). Ryan probably wasn't looking to trade Revere but this deal was too good to pass up. Interesting if we bring Hicks up next year or make a trade for a stop-gap CF. We need someone who can cover some ground if Willingham and Parmelee are at the corner spots.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I like what they got for Revere considering what Revere was but I believe Meyer will end up better than both of the guys we got for Revere.

I do love this trade though...partly cause I don't feel we lost much...but also because it addresses pitching for the present and future. Ryan robbed the Phillies GM, which is fun to see.
    Meyer is a better prospect than May.

But given how many pitchers the Twins need in both the short and long term, it's impossible not to love this deal.
    I said I loved this trade...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Bingo. Contrary to some who think otherwise, the Phillies could have afforded a Bourn but got Revere on my "percentage of salary valuation" argument basis. (FWIW- If he performs at all in CF, which he should in that small ballpark, he'll be the top Range OF guy in all of MLB and end up getting extended after 2013)

No question though, Twins got a great trade. I'm excited that they have finally folded their cards and prepared for 2014/15.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-06-2012 at 12:16 PM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I said I loved this trade...
    I didn't mean to imply you weren't in favor of it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well, Ryan was able to totally bone Philly who was desperate for a cheap CF with major league experience...so maybe, maybe not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Bingo. The Phillies could have afforded a Bourn but got Revere on my "percentage of salary valuation" argument basis.

No question though, Twins got a great trade. I'm excited that they have finally folded their cards and prepared for 2014/15.
    Philly very likely can't afford Bourn or Hamilton

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meyer is going to be an ace. True #1...So the Span return could be better than the Revere return...in time.

I could see us being a contender in 2013 but Im not counting on it. 2014 and 2015 I am actually counting on. Of course, things could and will go wrong but I see us building our farm system back to a point that things are very optimistic. No doubt Terry will continue to look for this years Ryan Doumit, Josh Willingham and the relief pitcher who slips my mind right now in free agency. I think we need another REALLY solid pitcher to make us a contender. Even though I hate to say this, Liriano on a one year deal isnt a horrible option. The guy can be a real #1 at times. If he has one of those years and gets confidence early you never know.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Exactly.....Is Morneau and Willingham next?!
    Hard to say. I think they'll open the season with both, really.

But if there is still a market for outfielders, I'm sure Ryan will listen. After all, there are divisions outside the NL East that might need an outfielder.
    Could Willingham get better players than Revere just did? I have a feeling Twins are quietly listening to what Morneau and Willingham could recieve. I honestly dont think this is the last trade we are going to make. I have a feeling one of those 2 will be traded for a pitcher.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    It has been reported that our plan this whole time has been to sign one free agent pitcher, was it not? That makes me feel way better in that aspect as well.
    Now the question is.....WHO?!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I'm not sure Worley should be considered a significant return but he should be a solid #3/4 to stop the bleeding. Interesting stat that troubles me is that while he has a decent K rate he has an awful swinging strike rate.
    MLBTR is reporting that a "good" prospect was also included.

If true, that is ONE HELL of a haul for Revere.
    Care to reconsider your evaluation or did Ryan do a major hose job on the Phillies?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Well, Ryan was able to totally bone Philly who was desperate for a cheap CF with major league experience...so maybe, maybe not.
    We also don't know what Philly, the team with the most knowledge of their pitchers, felt about the futures of these 2. To me this reads as Philly was very uncomfortable with these pitchers futures. I think Philly wanted to get what value they could from these 2 before one potentially turns into a lemon and the other a pumpkin.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast