Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

I'm a little conflicted too. As a fan, I like to cheer for the good guys and my team just traded away 2 of the best. Still, you have to balance the ship by offering value from your positions of strength to obtain help in your positions of weakness. Strategically, TR seems to be making great moves. Get ready to see how Darin Mastroianni does at leadoff. Might be fun.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I wonder if anyone is tracking the Phillies fan response to the trade?
    I think they would be laughing at how excited we are about a #4 starter and a prospect with some big mechanical issues to work out. Still it's a great trade for the Twins because Revere is replaceable. Likewise in philly both of these guys are replaceable.

i just remembered that a fantasy forum was calling him Vance, Vance Revolution.
    I get that side of the trade. I was referring to their level of anticipation about making Revere their CF.

Sad to see Revere go obviously, great guy and I loved watching him patrol the outfield.

That being said I'm floored by the return and extremely happy with what TR was able to get for him.

TR is turning the page on 2013 but it was definitely the right choice to make. Its going to be exciting seeing the younger guys earn their stripes in the big leagues.

With Revere being moved you have to think Morneau and Willingham won't be on the roster post trade deadline next season.

If you had to trade one before the season started it would probably be Willingham, Morneau needs a chance to produce to bump his value up.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Absolutely thrilled with this trade. We have the depth to make this trade, plus honestly I never saw Revere as part of a long term solution. A great guy, but this is about as high as his value could be- good work Terry Ryan on pulling the trigger. We addressed an immediate and future need in one fell swoop, dealt from a strength.

I live with a bunch of Philly fans (both a blessing and a curse) and their reaction isn't ecstatic. They seemed to think May was due for a big year after last, the consensus being that a one-for-one trade w/ May or Worley would have been more appropriate. Definitely a general feeling of having overpayed

I just hope these guys can stay healthy and contribute

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    KLAW likes the deal. And I still do not think they have to punt on 2013.....

ONLY thing to be afraid of this trade is that Worley just had bone chips removed this offseason & there are people who truly believe (is some info to back it) that TJ surgery chances increase after removeving said chips

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    There is no need to trade any more players now. That is, assuming you want fans in the stands this year. The Twins have some fine young arms in the pipeline, which is exciting to see. Now leave us some big bats so we can enjoy some wins!

As for the Revere trade, I think Ryan walked into something unexpected. Revere was the best young CF available. I think he was able to auction Revere off to the highest bidder.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Hot Damn, my friends.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have said, I'm also REALLY going to miss Revere's smile and just the approach he brought to playing the game. So many MLB players clearly have lost the pure joy they got from playing baseball by the time they make the Big Leagues. I never had that feeling with Revere and it was a breath of fresh air to see. I wish him nothing but success throughout the rest of his career and hope he never changes that approach. I'm hoping even Phillie fans will appreciate it.

That said, when it became apparent to Terry Ryan that Revere might possibly bring both a top 100 prospect AND a current MLB pitcher that slots in above Scott Diamond, he would have been a total fool not to make that kind of deal. Props to Terry Ryan and his crew for pulling this off.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    ONLY thing to be afraid of this trade is that Worley just had bone chips removed this offseason & there are people who truly believe (is some info to back it) that TJ surgery chances increase after removeving said chips
    TJ Surgery chances increase the minute pitchers throw the ball overhand.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span
    It's really strange... I can't describe it... I'm pumped about two decent arms coming to us... And floored at.the reality of the loss of my favorite Twin.
    You'll be fine once you see Worley get us out of the 2nd inning in his first start RB.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    If you liked Revere, there's this Hicks kid in the pipeline who does all the same stuff, plus a throwing arm, plus the ability to draw walks, plus some pop.
    I'll be alright... I've been looking at the Pitching Staff in the majors, AAA and AA and flat out concerned. I'm still concerned but the addition of Meyer... Worley and May is needed and I feel better today. In October the pitching staff was about as bad as I could ever imagine at the upper levels. December 6th... I have reason for hope... The rest is patience and I have that,

As for Hicks... I've been waiting for him... I like what I read and looking forward to eyeballing him. I've always said that if Hicks comes up and outplays Ben then good for us.

I also like Mastro... I hate trying to spell his name but I like Mastro... This could be a big opportunity for him to take advantage of... With so many players it just comes down to opportunity, Some never get it and some have a very short window. This could be a short window for Mastro and I'm happy for him.

Senior Member MVP
    I thin Jim has it right, we will all miss watching Revere and his attitude, but it was too much to say no to.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    KLAW likes the deal. And I still do not think they have to punt on 2013.....
    Hey Chris, get a Kluwe, Gardy certainly doesn't want them to punt in hopes of keeping his job, but given their likely horrible defense this year, likely regression of certain players, likely continued salary dump trade(s) and the unwillingness/inability to sign/acquire 2 high-yield SPs makes it all but certain that this year will be booted away.

Congratulations, lets throw a party, we are now the Minnesota Royals. Great minor league teams, two major league players. Maybe we can trade Willingham and Maur also. Next winning season 2020 (if everything breaks right).

Senior Member MVP
    I agree, if they do not use the money they have to sign 2 legit pitchers, that indicates they are punting. But that does not mean, imo, they should punt. They should sign Marcum and someone else.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlbfan View Post
    Congratulations, lets throw a party, we are now the Minnesota Royals. Great minor league teams, two major league players. Maybe we can trade Willingham and Maur also. Next winning season 2020 (if everything breaks right).
    The Twins just picked up a legitimate Major League pitcher AND a solid pitching prospect for a guy who may be outplayed by Aaron Hicks in the coming season.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    As has been said many times already, Revere was certainly fun to watch but only a fool wouldn't be happy about this trade. Now I'd love to see us sign Marcum to a 3 year deal to have a solid, veteran arm in the rotation to go along with the young guys who will be coming up over the next 3 years.

A shortstop that doesn't make me weep would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    So unless Morneau is moved, Parmelee is definitely slotting to start in RF now. I can accept that.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    As has been said many times already, Revere was certainly fun to watch but only a fool wouldn't be happy about this trade. Now I'd love to see us sign Marcum to a 3 year deal to have a solid, veteran arm in the rotation to go along with the young guys who will be coming up over the next 3 years.

A shortstop that doesn't make me weep would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    The Twins absolutely have the money to do both. It's just unfortunate that the middle infield class is so weak this offseason.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span
    It's really strange... I can't describe it... I'm pumped about two decent arms coming to us... And floored at.the reality of the loss of my favorite Twin.
    If you liked Revere, there's this Hicks kid in the pipeline who does all the same stuff, plus a throwing arm, plus the ability to draw walks, plus some pop.
    Yeah, but how's his smile?

I'm with you, Riverbrian--sad to see my favorite Twin go, but impressed by the return he brought and know it looks likes the right move.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast