Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This is the kind of trade I've been waiting to see from Terry Ryan -- glad to see he still has the contacts, skill and guts to make it happen.

But I will miss Revere's grin.

Please let some of the call-ups and additions bring some excitement because right not the Twins look like a very boring team.
    No pain, no gain. I'm planning on enjoying following the minor league teams a lot more next year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    I think Willingham can bring a good return now, but he could bring more at the deadline if he has a solid season. Morneau, and who knows with some of these trades and contracts being handed out, I see with much more upside trading at the deadline then now, unless someone really loves him.
    From a financial perspective, I wouldn't want to trade Willingham at this point. He's got a great contract, sure, but that aside, a certain type of fan really likes Willingham. Most people posting here have at least a general understanding of the potential we're now 'nearing' with our minor leaguers, but the opposite type of fan thinks 'WTF kind of team are we fielding?' That type of fan likes Morneau and Willingham, which does matter when it comes down to $s and filled seats. At this price, why throw away a big part of our available power?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    A week ago, I don't know that Revere could have fetched either of them by himself. Timing is everything. Awesome.
    Remember 2 weeks ago when so many were saying "Why hasn't Terry Ryan DONE anything yet? Derp." Ha.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'll stand by my prediction that if he has a strong season in a ballpark favorable to what he does best, the Phillies consider extension talks in the offseason.
    And I'd still consider it a mistake but I think Revere will do better in the NL and that ballpark than he ever would in Target Field.
    I fully agree, he's made for the NL and that park and a classy organization. I wish him the best. I just don't like the supposed Twins fans on a Twins blog who still want to get one more kick at a guy- who's done nothing wrong- as he's going out the door.
    Generally, I only kick the player, not the person. I like Revere. He's a blast to watch. He seems like a great guy who just wants to play baseball.

But as a player, I don't think he's very good. That doesn't mean I wish him ill or anything, I just don't see his skillset playing out over the longterm.
    Revere is going to lead the NL East in BIS/9 (Bright Infectious Smiles per 9 innings).

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    I'll stand by my prediction that if he has a strong season in a ballpark favorable to what he does best, the Phillies consider extension talks in the offseason.
    And I'd still consider it a mistake but I think Revere will do better in the NL and that ballpark than he ever would in Target Field.
    I fully agree, he's made for the NL and that park and a classy organization. I wish him the best. I just don't like the supposed Twins fans on a Twins blog who still want to get one more kick at a guy- who's done nothing wrong- as he's going out the door.
    Generally, I only kick the player, not the person. I like Revere. He's a blast to watch. He seems like a great guy who just wants to play baseball.

But as a player, I don't think he's very good. That doesn't mean I wish him ill or anything, I just don't see his skillset playing out over the longterm.
    A valid opinion, his numbers and arm illustrate his strengths and weaknesses. The Phillies, who in recent history have been a very successful franchise, must have looked past those numbers and come to a different definition of "good".

I wonder if anyone is tracking the Phillies fan response to the trade?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    A week ago, I don't know that Revere could have fetched either of them by himself. Timing is everything. Awesome.
    Possibly a stretch, but I love to agree, and love the trade.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Concur. However, is it more than 50% certain that Gibson breaks with the team in April in the rotation? I'd say it's still highly doubtful, especially if they decide on a specific inning limitation. I also am not holding my breath that they get Marcum unless they move Willingham or Morneau.
    No, I think Gibson's chance of being in the Opening Day rotation is very much in the air.

But now that the Twins have at least $25m to spend (based on current payroll and last year's number), they're going to have to go get somebody (or, more likely, multiple cheaper somebodies).

I think the chances of going after some middle infield help has risen dramatically in the past hour.
    Boston and Baltimore have MI depth if the Twins are willing to pull the trigger again.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This is the kind of trade I've been waiting to see from Terry Ryan -- glad to see he still has the contacts, skill and guts to make it happen.

But I will miss Revere's grin.

Please let some of the call-ups and additions bring some excitement because right not the Twins look like a very boring team.
    If you want exciting characters on the Twins team, you'll love Worley.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Kirby_Waved_At_Me's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 89 Posts
    I agree that timing had a lot to do with this - is it also possible that Philadelphia wanted Revere more than Span? Would they have offered Worley/May for Span a week ago?
    Would the Nats have offered Meyer for Revere? I think the answer to both of those is no.
    I wonder how much impact having Span go to a rival had on the return from Philadelphia. The need for a CF was there regardless, but it's possible there was more incentive to move with the Nationals getting the jump on them. I expect all three teams are happy with the players they acquired.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I guess the "value of Ben Revere" question can be put to rest...

Or the "do the Phillies have a competent Front Office?" question can be put to rest....

Just because Barry Zito got 100 million several years ago doesn't mean that was his "value"
    Actually I'm pretty sure that Zito getting 100 million means his value was 100 million at that time. This really can't be disputed. The value of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter if you wouldn't pay it or the Mariners wouldn't pay it. The value can only be established by what someone will pay.

The value side of the discussion is over. The market is clear... Now if this is a future projection discussion... That will last forever all the way into the future until Ben doesn't have a uniform anymore and I will never be confident enough with any player to participate in that discussion.

To Ben Revere... If you are reading this... Thank You... I appreciated your effort and ability every day... Even when you screwed up on pccasion. I believe you will have a nice career ahead of you if you keep playing balls out like you did here in Minnesota.

Go get em in Philly... I hate that team a lot less now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I wonder if anyone is tracking the Phillies fan response to the trade?
    I think they would be laughing at how excited we are about a #4 starter and a prospect with some big mechanical issues to work out. Still it's a great trade for the Twins because Revere is replaceable. Likewise in philly both of these guys are replaceable.

i just remembered that a fantasy forum was calling him Vance, Vance Revolution.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    This is a good trade. First time I ac recall Ryan trading a good young player for a mlb player, let alone also getting a prospect. Maybe this is a new Ryan. I agree with others, this does not mean you have to punt on next year. Great trade, though the injury makes me nervous.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow. I'm going to miss Revere, and was sad to see the announcement he was traded. But there's no way to be disappointed in this trade--TR brought back a haul.

We might struggle in 2013, but the Twin's future looks bright.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think this trade is one that you won't be able to get a great view on the trade for a few years.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by messed up View Post
    I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span
    It's really strange... I can't describe it... I'm pumped about two decent arms coming to us... And floored at.the reality of the loss of my favorite Twin.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Jackpot!! A bit stunned TR was able to get this for Revere but as someone pointed out in another thread, Revere has that visual flash that makes some people ignore what he really is, I think that's what played out here and what makes this such a steal for the Twins, definitely got the better value.

Getting excited people! Who's next?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,315 Times in 710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I was with you on this one Riverbrian. I hate to lose Revere but it's no surprise to me the Twins got more for Revere than they did for Span
    It's really strange... I can't describe it... I'm pumped about two decent arms coming to us... And floored at.the reality of the loss of my favorite Twin.
    You'll be fine once you see Worley get us out of the 2nd inning in his first start RB.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you liked Revere, there's this Hicks kid in the pipeline who does all the same stuff, plus a throwing arm, plus the ability to draw walks, plus some pop.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I guess the "value of Ben Revere" question can be put to rest...

Or the "do the Phillies have a competent Front Office?" question can be put to rest....

Just because Barry Zito got 100 million several years ago doesn't mean that was his "value"
    2006-2012 Team W-L Results

Twins 570-563 .503 winning %
    Phillies 638-495 .563 winning %

Phillies had 5 straight Division Championships during this run
    The Twins had 2.

The Phillies had 2 World Series appearances, 1 win
    The Twins? Don't ask.

I'd take a little more of that Phillies level of "incompetence" around these parts.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Like I said previously, no pain, no gain. On the bright side, I think you'll get a 2.5 month Maestro bandwagon to get onboard with, followed by Hicks. 2 exciting guys to rally around.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast