Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Ben Revere Traded to Philly for RHP Vance Worley & Top Pitching Prospect

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    does this mean joe mauer bats leadoff?
    Barring any acquisitions, my guess is second with Carroll slotting in first (unless Hicks grabs that spot).
    How sure are we that Carroll is even going to start? Obviously utility guys get a fair amount of time, and maybe even especially so with this year's roster of young, unproven starters in the infield...but I find it a little hard to imagine them going with a leadoff guy who isn't expected to be in the linuep most every day. I'm really quite curious to see how the batting order plays out.
    Last edited by CDog; 12-06-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    After glancing through a few Phillies fan-sites, I'm struck by the reactions, as compared with most of those here.

Phillies fans are seeing the addition of a young, team-controlled CF with a lot of upside. Twins fans like Revere, but I think it's safe to say most of us doubt how much upside he has.

Twins fans are pumped about getting a top 100 pitching prospect in May. Phillies fans seem to consider May a "former top prospect" who lost that standing with a bad season in 2012.

Twins fans see Worley as immediately becoming the current #1 SP in the Twins rotation. Phillies fans frown a bit about losing a "solid" starting pitcher, but feel that's the price you pay and aren't too concerned because there appear to be a number of "back of the rotation" arms available on the FA market.

Just goes to show how perspectives affect things. The Twins have enough OF depth in the system that the idea of giving up pitching to get an OF is totally foreign. The Phillies have a rotation with multiple CY winners and consider losing Worely an inconvenient necessity, at worst.
    Philly fans are widely regarded as the worst/dumbest/drunkest/*******ish in all of sports. So I wouldn't read to much into it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    I think 13 is shaping up to be a rough year. And a season I will spend much more time watching than last.
    Funny how it works that way, isn't it? The true fans are more excited than ever while casual fans are moping that we "lost" Smiley McGee.
    Exactly as a true fan you have to be excited about this. I can get why casual fans are a little upset. But this trade needed to happen for the Twins whether they like it or not.

Was out to Hammond Sradium this morning and Joe Benson is in Fort Myers. He has been working out in the mornings on the back practice fields.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    CDog.... the Twins have yet to trade their manager, so I have a very good suspicion Carroll will start. Wouldn't be surprised if Mastronni (sp) is 1 and Carroll is 2, just how Gardy thinks things through sometimes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Brock, I think I like you even more now....thanks for the quote and smile.

Liked 307 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Interesting that we actually got more for Revere than we did for Span. I'd put May between Meyers and Gibson. Worley becomes the number 2 starter, for the time being, behind Scott Diamond.
    For what it's worth, the James projection thinks Worley's ERA should be about a half run better than Diamond's.
    I assume that projection was for the NL, not AL.
    Yes. He'll lose some K's and accumulate some ER's with the move to the AL. That being said, this trade instantly looks worse if you assume Worley is out-pitched by Diamond in 2013. If he's healthy, I think Worley is the better pitcher, which is part of the reason I like the trade.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 12-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Jake Mauer was named manager of the Cedar Rapids Kernals (Low A). Sounds like a demotion to me since he was manager of the High A Fort Myers Miracle for the past 3 years.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 326 Times in 216 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    CDog.... the Twins have yet to trade their manager, so I have a very good suspicion Carroll will start. Wouldn't be surprised if Mastronni (sp) is 1 and Carroll is 2, just how Gardy thinks things through sometimes.
    What's the line in Vegas on this outcome? Book it!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yes. He'll lose some K's and accumulate some ER's with the move to the AL. That being said, this trade instantly looks worse if you assume Worley is out-pitched by Diamond in 2013. If he's healthy, I think Worley is the better pitcher, which is part of the reason like the trade.
    I'd put Diamond and Worley pretty close to one another in the AL on the same team with the slight nod going to Worley. What I find interesting is Worley's HR/9 rate in Philly (0.8 in 2012, 0.7 in 2011 & 2010). Will he give up a homerun in Target Field? That bodes well if the Twins can get a decent infield defense behind him (not a great GB rate but not bad, either).

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In general terms, I like the trade myself, but I'm noticing a couple of things not being mentioned:

- People are putting the trade in terms of Revere's value, but I think the trade from the Phillies' side has more to do with them having went from 102 wins in 2011 to .500 last year. Their front office likely thinks they're still a prime team, and giving up good pieces that won't get them to their goal next year is OK if you get a piece that will. Revere isn't a star, but if he does what the Phillies expect, which is get on base and play great CF defense, then he'll help them work back up in the standings. (I guess the 'right place at the right time' folks may be making this point, but it seemed pretty oblique compared to the 'oh, look how valuable Revere really was' crowd.)

- I think the idea that this trade helps the Twins be competitive in 2013 is pretty silly - after all, if the Phillies thought the players they gave up would help them win more in 2013, they wouldn't have traded them, right? After all, the big failure in Philly wasn't on offense, but in defense and pitching -- they allowed about a run per game more in 2012 than they did in 2011. Revere will help with that, but not by a full run per game.

- I also think that if people really think Hicks's upside is rookie-year Torii Hunter, then there's no reason to start him in center in 2013 no matter how good his spring happens to be -- to justify starting his free agent clock early and possibly burning an entire year of eligibility via super-two status, he's got to be ROY-caliber material.

I'm finding the 'conspiracy theory' of having a number of Twins future performers starting at AAA this year, where they'll get to work with Paul Molitor as a roving consultant, prior to Gardy being replaced by Molitor for the start of the 2014 season to be more and more credible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    When a guy who wasn't a star in his prime is 39 and plays a position that's hard on guys half his age, it may be less a less a question of a quirky manager wanting him to be an everyday player and more a question of him being physically able to handle it. Either way, they'll probably pick up a veteran glove who can't hit.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS HAPPENED!! TR is a GOD!!!

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
    In general terms, I like the trade myself, but I'm noticing a couple of things not being mentioned:

- People are putting the trade in terms of Revere's value, but I think the trade from the Phillies' side has more to do with them having went from 102 wins in 2011 to .500 last year. Their front office likely thinks they're still a prime team, and giving up good pieces that won't get them to their goal next year is OK if you get a piece that will. Revere isn't a star, but if he does what the Phillies expect, which is get on base and play great CF defense, then he'll help them work back up in the standings. (I guess the 'right place at the right time' folks may be making this point, but it seemed pretty oblique compared to the 'oh, look how valuable Revere really was' crowd.)

- I think the idea that this trade helps the Twins be competitive in 2013 is pretty silly - after all, if the Phillies thought the players they gave up would help them win more in 2013, they wouldn't have traded them, right? After all, the big failure in Philly wasn't on offense, but in defense and pitching -- they allowed about a run per game more in 2012 than they did in 2011. Revere will help with that, but not by a full run per game.

- I also think that if people really think Hicks's upside is rookie-year Torii Hunter, then there's no reason to start him in center in 2013 no matter how good his spring happens to be -- to justify starting his free agent clock early and possibly burning an entire year of eligibility via super-two status, he's got to be ROY-caliber material.

I'm finding the 'conspiracy theory' of having a number of Twins future performers starting at AAA this year, where they'll get to work with Paul Molitor as a roving consultant, prior to Gardy being replaced by Molitor for the start of the 2014 season to be more and more credible.
    Great summation, except Gardy could very well be replaced during the 2013 run if the start is as abysmal as the two previous seasons.

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    does this mean joe mauer bats leadoff?
    Barring any acquisitions, my guess is second with Carroll slotting in first (unless Hicks grabs that spot).
    How sure are we that Carroll is even going to start? Obviously utility guys get a fair amount of time, and maybe even especially so with this year's roster of young, unproven starters in the infield...but I find it a little hard to imagine them going with a leadoff guy who isn't expected to be in the linuep most every day. I'm really quite curious to see how the batting order plays out.
    Jeez Dog... I'm quite curious to see how the rest of the off season plays out first.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanibelchuck View Post
    Jake Mauer was named manager of the Cedar Rapids Kernals (Low A). Sounds like a demotion to me since he was manager of the High A Fort Myers Miracle for the past 3 years.
    Is that supposed to be an indicative of some change regarding Joe Mauer's status as a Twin?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    Looks like the Twins made out alright.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    The Hicks love is getting a little out of hand. He had a good, not great, year in double A. That means time at triple A, and the departure of Revere and Span should have exactly zero impact on that if the Twins are smart.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Waited to respond to think a bit: Impossible not to like this trade, but mostly because I don't see much long term value in Ben Revere, and there are potentially superior replacement on the near term horizon. There are, however, significant warts on both returning pitchers. Worley needs to prove he's healthy, and those calling May a "top 100 prospect" are probably going to be disappointed when 2013 lists come out and he's not on them.

Still and all, impossible not to like this trade. Revere for Worley was probably fair, so adding May is gravy, and lord knows the Twins need pitching at every level of the organization. May adds to the possibilities, and with a big arm to boot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Jeez Dog... I'm quite curious to see how the rest of the off season plays out first.
    Me too! But future playing out is likely only going to lead to more questions!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast