Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Bourn a fit in Minnesota?

  1. #1

    Bourn a fit in Minnesota?

    With the trade of revere what are the chances they are players in the michael bourn sweepstakes?

  2. #2
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyMagic View Post
    With the trade of revere what are the chances they are players in the michael bourn sweepstakes?
    Zero. That would be awful. Spend money on pitching and middle infielders. Arcia, Benson, Hicks, and Mastrioanni give the Twins some OF options at the league minimum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,080
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    No, the Revere deal allows the Twins to spend more on the top starter that they target. That's still priority #1, #2, and #3 this offseason.

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,172
    Like
    98
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Zilch.

  5. #5
    None. Not a fit and not gonna happen.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    5
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Are there any vet CF out there who might be had for a 1 year deal? Seems like that would be a good option given Hicks wasn't exactly expected to start this early.

  7. #7
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,080
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I've always liked Reed Johnson as righty platoon player. There really isn't any reason to have Hicks stay in the minors too long and it's really time for Benson to sink or swim so I expect one of them to be up opening day now. RJ would still be nice to have on the bench though.

  8. #8
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,698
    Like
    32
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I've always liked Reed Johnson as righty platoon player. There really isn't any reason to have Hicks stay in the minors too long and it's really time for Benson to sink or swim so I expect one of them to be up opening day now. RJ would still be nice to have on the bench though.
    Maybe it's just me but I like The Italian Job as a fourth outfielder. He's almost perfect in that role.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I've always liked Reed Johnson as righty platoon player. There really isn't any reason to have Hicks stay in the minors too long and it's really time for Benson to sink or swim so I expect one of them to be up opening day now. RJ would still be nice to have on the bench though.
    Maybe it's just me but I like The Italian Job as a fourth outfielder. He's almost perfect in that role.
    Right about that one Brock!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    656
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    I mean, with the outfield market for Bourn shrunk to nearly nothing, if the Twins put out a one-year offer that isn't worth too much but enough for him to consider it, would it be that bad if they signed him for one year until our outfield prospects are more major-league ready?

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,080
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Doesn't mean you can't have a good hitter on the bench regardless of position although I guess that's impossible if the Twins are carrying a backup 3B along with a futility IF'er and futility catcher.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,969
    Like
    1,041
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by husker brian View Post
    Are there any vet CF out there who might be had for a 1 year deal? Seems like that would be a good option given Hicks wasn't exactly expected to start this early.
    Or even 2 years. Mastro is strictly 4th-outfielder material, and it's a risk to assume the minors will produce both the starters needed even in 2014. (Parmelee seems miscast in RF and will take over 1B in 2014 probably.) Aim for serious contention in 2015, with 2014 as the transition year.

  13. #13
    Member Single-A E. Andrew's Avatar
    Posts
    94
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Also going with Zero. We shouldn't be spending on the infield, we definitely shouldn't on the outfield.

  14. #14
    Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    6,969
    Like
    1,041
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    No, the Revere deal allows the Twins to spend more on the top starter that they target. That's still priority #1, #2, and #3 this offseason.
    Trading Revere frees up less than a million, to be replaced presumably by someone at half a million - how does this allow the Twins to spend what it takes to get a top starter?

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Posts
    363
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Less then ZERO!!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Posts
    363
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Still need another option at 3B(Hannahan likely) and SS....my guess is Dozier will get every opp at 2B cuz I think we all believe he will hit. Throw in 2 more starters and another BP arm and let's play.

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,080
    Like
    15
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    No, the Revere deal allows the Twins to spend more on the top starter that they target. That's still priority #1, #2, and #3 this offseason.
    Trading Revere frees up less than a million, to be replaced presumably by someone at half a million - how does this allow the Twins to spend what it takes to get a top starter?
    They don't need to spend 5-8M/yr to get a #3/#4 starter now. that money can now be focused on the top starter with lesser needs elsewhere.

  18. #18
    Zero......paying max type money on a guy who uses his legs exclusively is a high risk & teams are obviously nervous with him as he's still out there.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,615
    Like
    37
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    If we wanted to go after a high priced OF we would be better served trading Willingham away for Pitching/MI help and buying "low" on Josh Hamilton

    Not that it would ever happen, but it would make infinitely more sense then going after Bourn.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    603
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's a Boras client. Never gonna happen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.