Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who plays CF to start the season?

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's true it may force Gardy to bat mauer 2nd but without a decent leadoff hitter it won't much matter. I can live with Mastro at the beginning of the season if Hicks/Benson can step in around June. Wouldn't suprise if Twins sign a cheap CF in the latter parts of FA to bridge the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I will say, however, that I am intrigued by the idea of Joe Benson if he's healthy. I agree with an above poster who said that when he's healthy, he screams top prospect. If he's back from him multiple injuries of last year, I'd bet that he could compete for an outfield spot this year.
    The biggest problem with Benson is his personality. Throughout the season on ESPN 1500, Molitor talked about how Benson has a lot of maturing to do, before he was ready for the majors. He lets his emotions get out of control, which affects his performance. Molitor even seemed to suggest that he didn't know if Benson could overcome this. My bet is that they will give Hicks every opportunity to win the CF position. Having him in the lineup, especially if he's playing decent, could help pacify the average fan after the losses of Span and Revere. He could offer that spark the fans like to see. Although Mastro is a good 4th outfielder, I don't think he's the type of player that puts fans in the seats, which is something that will be crucial for the Twins this year, after two horrible seasons.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think hicks has the upper hand in this position. He took a huge step last year in the minors, even though it was double A it was still an overall very well season. He also has the speed to play CF, which Gardy loves. He could also take over the lead off spot IF he can prove to be successful in the majors. But all we can do is speculate.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    The problem as I see it is they need a 4th OF that can play CF. You don't want Hicks there, so if Mastro starts, they need someone else.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    They are fine.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by syves View Post
    Mastroianni in Center. I know he's a fourth outfielder, but just let Hick's and Arcia develop a little in Triple-A.

Lineup would be Carroll, Mastroianni, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Plouffe, Parmelee, Florimon.

I say the lineup like that because:
    1) I'm obsessed with speed guys in the two hole. Can't get enough.
    2) Ease the stress on Plouffe and Parmelee. They're still in development mode, and being in the 7 and 8 hole could relax them enough to make them better. One spot back might make all the difference.
    You make sense, but when I see that lineup I am wondering if the Twins could lose 110+ games in 2013.

The Twins will want Hicks in the minors...unless pieces look great in spring training and the Twins may compete.

Remember: HOT STOVE SEASON has just begun. And Drew Butera is still on the roster.

Quick, name 25 guys who are on the 40-man roster who played in the majors for the Twins!?
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If Hannahan is really in a bidding war, the Twins should be shopping Carroll, cut another 3 million in salary and find someone else.

I wouldn't be against Chone Figgins, though I get the impression if healthy and looks decent in ST Joe Benson has a job with the Twins its just whether or not he is starting or not. Which I'm not against, he has already been up, and if healthy he has as high of ceiling as anyone else in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'd put the odds at:
    Hicks: 50%
    Mastro: 40%
    Benson:10%

It's Hicks job to lose.
    I think this is pretty much correct. If Hicks demonstrates offensive competence in ST, the job is his. Mastro is the backup option and that honestly isn't terrible.

By the way, back to my 2012 adopted prospect Chris Herrmann . . . this OF exodus means that it really would make more sense to have Herrmann instead of Butera on the roster, especially if Mastroianni is the opening CF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    If Hannahan is really in a bidding war, the Twins should be shopping Carroll, cut another 3 million in salary and find someone else.

I wouldn't be against Chone Figgins, though I get the impression if healthy and looks decent in ST Joe Benson has a job with the Twins its just whether or not he is starting or not. Which I'm not against, he has already been up, and if healthy he has as high of ceiling as anyone else in the organization.
    Carroll is a good OBP guy and Chone Figgins is now completely and utterly terrible.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks shouldn't be up in 2013 untill AUGUST or SEPTEMBER

don't rush the guy! I'm telling you

Look what happened to Brian Dozier , we all freaked out demanded him up there in Early or Mid May and he fell off the earth, eventually. He should of been in AAA untill August and then you feel MORE confident about Dozier's chances.......

I pray its Ichiro, Mastro , or even Benson or Andres Torres before Aaron Hicks. in April anways.

Reds or Mariners both want OF'ers
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Blog Entries
    My dream lineup would be:

Hicks
    Mauer
    Willingham
    Morneau
    Doumit
    Plouffe
    Parmelee
    Dozier/Carroll
    Florimon/Carroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would hope in your dream lineup we'd get some better middle infielders

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    My dream lineup would be:

Hicks
    Mauer
    Willingham
    Morneau
    Doumit
    Plouffe
    Parmelee
    Dozier/Carroll
    Florimon/Carroll
    You have sad, sad dreams.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Realistic CF alternatives would be Nyler Morgan and Scott Posedinek. they would both be inexpensive and stop gap as in they could be replaced midseason when we bring up Hicks and delay FA and arbitration by 1 year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Did they ever figure out what happened to Benson last year? I'm surprised he's being considered for the starting CF gig. Maybe this is a motivational tool? I guess with the Twins org still having a crowded OF, if he can't help the MLB club in the next year or two he never will.

Hicks needs time in AAA. How anyone can pencil in Benson after the year he had last year is beyond me. I predict that Darin Mastroianni, although a fourth outfielder at best, will be starting come opening day.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 601 Times in 324 Posts
    You know, you have to think the Twins were considering the Span and Revere moves well before the season ended (Span we know for sure), at least the possibility that if something came up, they would be more than willing to listen. Which makes me wonder even further as to why Hicks didn't get a call-up in September. A month under his belt in the majors would have served him well for what he is likely going to be facing at some point next season.

I agree with those who've stated that Hicks won't be up until they get that 7th year of team control. It just makes too much sense. That leaves Benson and Mastro, and I agree with the thought that this should be a sink or swim moment for Benson. I can't see the Twins going out and signing any stop gap OF'ers. If they can' get all they want for pitching, one more guy in the mix for SS/2B makes more sense.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf69 View Post
    It's true it may force Gardy to bat mauer 2nd but without a decent leadoff hitter it won't much matter. I can live with Mastro at the beginning of the season if Hicks/Benson can step in around June. Wouldn't suprise if Twins sign a cheap CF in the latter parts of FA to bridge the gap.
    of the 3 who had a higher obp? Ben , Span or Carroll? and Mastroanni was .003 less then Revere
    also i wondered if Rick Ankiel was a cheap insurance option ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast