Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who plays CF to start the season?

Liked 1,086 Times in 489 Posts
    Unless they add someone:

Mastro: 50% chance
    Benson: 40% chance
    Hicks: 5% chance
    Rallymonkey: 5% chance.

Liked 334 Times in 176 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was nothing about the year Hicks had in New Britain that screamed 'Skip AAA!!!'. I'm hoping the trades don't change that. Given the Twins' patience with prospects, it would be surprising to see him up before June.

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    The clear answer is Wilkin Ramirez.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Umm.... Joe Benson sucks and needs to be in the minors. Mastro then Hicks in the summer.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Take a flyer on Bourjos if he's on the cheap? Otherwise Mastro it is me thinks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
    The Ghost of Bobby Mitchell?
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you look at Joe Benson's numbers throughout the minors, in years where he is healthy he screams top prospect and years where he was bothering injuries he looks like a complete bust. If he is healthy its his to lose. Hicks has not played AAA, he was good but not great at AA, he has a bunch of tools but I'm not completely sold on saying its all his. As far as Mastro, I just don't know, I don't know if he can be an everyday major leaguer. I don't know if he can play CF with Parmelee and Willinghammer and I feel he could really be exposed to everyday play.

I think you have to go in house though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    Would anyone freak out over a Carroll-Mauer-Willingham-Morneau top of the order?
    I wouldn't. That's a decent top of the order, though it's definitely lacking speed.
    Agreed. Not exactly 4.4/40 speed by any means
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    I honestly think Mastroianni is being a bit undervalued here. Do we want him as the everyday centerfielder? Not really. Will we completely implode if we put him there until June? Heck no.

You definitely don't throw Hicks into the lineup on day one. It's a bad business decision, and I think it would end up being a bad development decision.

I will say, however, that I am intrigued by the idea of Joe Benson if he's healthy. I agree with an above poster who said that when he's healthy, he screams top prospect. If he's back from him multiple injuries of last year, I'd bet that he could compete for an outfield spot this year.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    Would anyone freak out over a Carroll-Mauer-Willingham-Morneau top of the order?
    Close but no cigar, mauer, carroll, willingham, morneau,doumit,plouffe,parmelee,dozier/florimon,mastroanni

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    At this point, I'm asking myself: who is left wanting outfielders?

Texas isn't going to go more than 4 yrs for Hamilton. The Twins could deal Willingham to TX and take the Rangers out of the picture.

The buyers for Bourn, last rumor I read anyway, were Phili and Seattle. Would the M's take Mastroianni?

That would soak up two buyers, and put the Twins in a position to make lowball offers to Bourn and Hamilton.
    My pitch to Bourn, as GM of Philly or Seattle: take our offer, or you're looking at a lowball offer from the Twins.

The way the roster is currently set up with outfielders defense is more important than offense. We have to have someone that can cover some ground. I would rank it Mastro, Hicks then Benson. I could see Mastro starting the year with Benson as backup and Hicks in AAA but I have no problem putting HIcks in from the start.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedog View Post
    The way the roster is currently set up with outfielders defense is more important than offense. We have to have someone that can cover some ground. I would rank it Mastro, Hicks then Benson. I could see Mastro starting the year with Benson as backup and Hicks in AAA but I have no problem putting HIcks in from the start.
    We need to sign someone to a one-year deal. Mastro had a good 2012 but as a full-timer he'd be exposed. I'd like to let Hicks play his way to the majors, not just promote him.

I also think there could be an OF signing....Cody Ross anyone to platoon with Parmelee in RF??
    Benson having an underwhelming 2012 is obvious. He is agewise ready for MLB.....at least on a part-time platoon role in RF with Chris/defensive sub for Willingham.
    I would think Hicks really wont get a true shot in spring training & we'll ride Mastro for 2 months till Hicks is more confortable.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    I'm of the opinion that whatever Hicks has left to learn, he can learn at the big league level. Defensively there seems to be no doubt that he can cut it right now, with a ++ arm. Offensively he would benefit as much from watching, talking and playing with guys like Morneau, Mauer & Willingham, than he would from a AAA coach. Film study and opponent scouting are better at the big league level as well. I figure Hicks has about 2-3 years to lay claim on this job or Buxton will be pushing him out anyway.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do we still have Clete Thomas under contract?

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins like almost every team will say that the best player will start and the Arb clock has nothing to do with it.

However... I notice that a lot of top notch prospects are consistently called up after the Arb clock.

I think Hicks will start in CF in Rochester regardless if he tears the cover off the ball in the pre season.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say it's between Mastro and whomever they sign to a 1 year deal. They will sign someone cheap to be a placeholder for Hicks, Acia, and Benson. I woudln't expect anything other... and I'd add that it's probably the right choice too.

Mastroianni in Center. I know he's a fourth outfielder, but just let Hick's and Arcia develop a little in Triple-A.

Lineup would be Carroll, Mastroianni, Mauer, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Plouffe, Parmelee, Florimon.

I say the lineup like that because:
    1) I'm obsessed with speed guys in the two hole. Can't get enough.
    2) Ease the stress on Plouffe and Parmelee. They're still in development mode, and being in the 7 and 8 hole could relax them enough to make them better. One spot back might make all the difference.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I'm confident the decision has already been made--so don't look for "competition" in Spring Training for CF! (they tried that game once and everybody saw through it).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast