Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Terry Ryan to be on MLB Network sometime in the next 50 minutes.

  1. #21
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    there is a better chance that sidney ponson bounces back than nick blackburn as its been about as long for both since they were either effective.
    Ryan does his organization a huge disservice every time he mentions nick as a possibility for next yr. If he truy believes it, keep quiet till he earns it.
    thank you someone who agrees!

  2. #22
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Like
    922
    Liked 1,280 Times in 685 Posts
    Hoping Blackburn "Bounces back" is definitely the "Wing and a Prayer" method to fixing the rotation. Nothing says success like a fly ball inducing sinker baller.

  3. #23
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,754
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Hoping Blackburn "Bounces back" is definitely the "Wing and a Prayer" method to fixing the rotation. Nothing says success like a fly ball inducing sinker baller.

    Yeah... but... You are from Canada. You have a Bear, Loon, Elk and Beaver on your coins and you bring them down to the states and they get mixed in at the convenience store and they end up in my pocket and they don't work in our Soda Machine.

    As for Blackburn... I think Terry was just trying to think of a name to say on television.

  4. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,597
    Like
    3,668
    Liked 3,157 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    Ryan needs to get out of town with his Blackburn stuff,
    You'd prefer he doesn't bounce back? Pretty weird.
    Cant speak for AhigMT, but personally I'd prefer the GM of my favorite MLB team not pretend that Nick Blackburn is any kind of realistic, or reasonable option for said team's rotation. Not unless tickets will be free at TF in 2013, anyway. To do so is an insult to my intelligence, and a tacit admission that his sunk cost is much more important than winning baseball games.

    Which seems to me closer to what AhigMT was saying than your response. Not weird, that.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    781
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days

  6. #26
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Is this the interview Mackey is referring to, where he said you can't have 50% of your payroll in 4 players? If so, and your budget is $95 (hahahaha), and Mauer gets $23, that means your next three cannot make more than $24MM combined. That does not sound like a good plan for the future....

    http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/M...GMs_eyes120512
    Lighten up Francis....

  7. #27
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,821
    Like
    176
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

    I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think he is still trade able the high price of pitching. he is still young, you never know about a pitcher a new year a out instead of a error, new help with a pitch, a new team, coach, it's a mental retardation.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days
    Due to the fact you never make a valid argument and cite WIKIPEDIA, I really dont care about anything you have to say. I would rather pay him 10 millions dollars to never pitch for us again rather than give him 5 million to throw sinkers that dont induce any groundballs.

  10. #30
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Like
    922
    Liked 1,280 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days
    I for one am not s**tting you, Blackburn sucks balls (figuratively , not a homophobic slur).

    The mere fact we would have to hope he comes back to be respectable, would be proof enough that we're f***ed!

  11. #31
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Your ****ting me right. He pulls off two huge trades we have all been asking for and in an interview he says one thing about a guy...and we fly off the handle. Who doesnt hope he can come back and be respectable...he is still a good guy. You talk as if he had a homophobic slur written on his eyeblack. All he has ever done is try to find his sinker...and usually give up meatballs. Give the guy a break. So what if he does good and then flops...better than paying him 5 mil to pitch at rochester every 5 days
    I for one am not s**tting you, Blackburn sucks balls (figuratively , not a homophobic slur).




    The mere fact we would have to hope he comes back to be respectable, would be proof enough that we're f***ed!
    Couldnt have said it any better!

  12. #32
    I'm a bit worried he said sometimes you can't give your money away.

    Does that mean free agents don't want to play for us? Is that why a Blanton went to the Angels?

    I know it's been discussed a lot about playing here and what not, but we are viewed as a losing organization for next year. Is makes me wonder do we really have a shot for Marcum or McCarthy? Would we even get a Lannon or Saunders?

    One of these somewhat average or semi-okay pitchers has to sign with us, correct???

  13. #33
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    399
    Like
    0
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jcphitman View Post
    I'm a bit worried he said sometimes you can't give your money away.

    Does that mean free agents don't want to play for us? Is that why a Blanton went to the Angels?

    I know it's been discussed a lot about playing here and what not, but we are viewed as a losing organization for next year. Is makes me wonder do we really have a shot for Marcum or McCarthy? Would we even get a Lannon or Saunders?

    One of these somewhat average or semi-okay pitchers has to sign with us, correct???
    I have to believe one of them would want to. But...like you said...Minnesota does not look attractive to free agents and would probably only want to play here if they were a little overpaid.
    Last edited by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS; 12-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.

  14. #34
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,727
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3


    I'm a bit worried he said sometimes you can't give your money away.


    Unrecoverable & sunk costs cause Ryan and Pohlad to lose sleep at night, they simply have to talk up Blackie, to show other teams they think he still has value and to keep their budget numbers intact, as self-delusionary as it is about any hope for a Blackie-Bounceback.

    Does that mean free agents don't want to play for us?

    Yes!

    Is that why a Blanton went to the Angels?

    Yes. If you had the option of those 2 teams and the Twins offered an extra $1M/yr or so, would it really make you change your mind?

    I know it's been discussed a lot about playing here and what not, but we are viewed as a losing organization for next year. Is makes me wonder do we really have a shot for Marcum or McCarthy?

    2 chances- and Slim's face is currently on milk cartons.

    Would we even get a Lannon or Saunders?

    Doubtful. Ryan would have to overbid for a #4-5 starter, with arm issues besides. There's a reason guys like Liriano and Correia are being bandied about as possibilities. Moreover, the Twins must not like Lannon or they could have induced the Nats to throw him into the Span/Meyer trade.

    One of these somewhat average or semi-okay pitchers has to sign with us, correct???

    It will all depend on what they try to sell us is "semi-okay". It's sad, because a year ago they could have easily acquired Maholm and/or Bedard and they would practically be staff aces now.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-06-2012 at 08:43 PM.

  15. #35
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,628
    Like
    922
    Liked 1,280 Times in 685 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Hoping Blackburn "Bounces back" is definitely the "Wing and a Prayer" method to fixing the rotation. Nothing says success like a fly ball inducing sinker baller.

    Yeah... but... You are from Canada. You have a Bear, Loon, Elk and Beaver on your coins and you bring them down to the states and they get mixed in at the convenience store and they end up in my pocket and they don't work in our Soda Machine.
    That strangely pleases me, consider it my contribution to the fight against obesity in the US.

  16. #36
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

    I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.
    I think that is reading to much into it, I mean one of the largest free agent pitching signings this year went to the Royals. I think he just meant "we put some legit offers on the table, and those players haven't signed yet" which for the most part is pretty damn true. It was a rather quiet winter meetings when it was all said and down, **** the Twins were probably the biggest "mover and shaker" of the bunch this year!

    IMO none of the top 7 or so free agent pitchers are even off the board yet (or even close), let's give it a little more time before we declare no decent pitchers want to come to Minnesota (unless you think we truly missed out on the Feldman's etc of the world)

    On another note not related to your comment: As far as Blackburn goes, jesus people, stop reading to much into his comments. He basically expressed the fact that he would like to see Blackburn succeed again. Multiple other times he said that he needs to go out and sign some more pitchers for 2013, in fact he said basically all the rotation he now has, currently is Diamond and Worley. He isn't counting on Blackburn even closely at this point.

    With that said, Blackburn has struggled, a ton, but unlike a guy like Chone Figgins who is a clubhouse cancer, the Twins like Blackburn's attitude, which is exactly why instead of cutting him (and eating the contract anyways) they are going to let him pitch in AAA to try to "reprove" himself for the club. I don't see how anyone can really be against this, especially with the supreme lack of SP we have. For as "crappy" as we all think Blackburn is, it should be pointed out that in 3 of the 4 years prior to 2012, Blackburn posted an ERA that was perfectly acceptable for a #4 or #5 in the AL.

    Criticizing Ryan for "rooting" for Blackburn to succeed this year is pretty petty to be honest. Either way, Ryan doesn't count on him being a solution to the 2013 rotation anyways.

  17. #37
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,368
    Like
    413
    Liked 809 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

    I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.
    I think that is reading to much into it, I mean one of the largest free agent pitching signings this year went to the Royals. I think he just meant "we put some legit offers on the table, and those players haven't signed yet" which for the most part is pretty damn true. It was a rather quiet winter meetings when it was all said and down, **** the Twins were probably the biggest "mover and shaker" of the bunch this year!

    IMO none of the top 7 or so free agent pitchers are even off the board yet (or even close), let's give it a little more time before we declare no decent pitchers want to come to Minnesota (unless you think we truly missed out on the Feldman's etc of the world)

    On another note not related to your comment: As far as Blackburn goes, jesus people, stop reading to much into his comments. He basically expressed the fact that he would like to see Blackburn succeed again. Multiple other times he said that he needs to go out and sign some more pitchers for 2013, in fact he said basically all the rotation he now has, currently is Diamond and Worley. He isn't counting on Blackburn even closely at this point.

    With that said, Blackburn has struggled, a ton, but unlike a guy like Chone Figgins who is a clubhouse cancer, the Twins like Blackburn's attitude, which is exactly why instead of cutting him (and eating the contract anyways) they are going to let him pitch in AAA to try to "reprove" himself for the club. I don't see how anyone can really be against this, especially with the supreme lack of SP we have. For as "crappy" as we all think Blackburn is, it should be pointed out that in 3 of the 4 years prior to 2012, Blackburn posted an ERA that was perfectly acceptable for a #4 or #5 in the AL.

    Criticizing Ryan for "rooting" for Blackburn to succeed this year is pretty petty to be honest. Either way, Ryan doesn't count on him being a solution to the 2013 rotation anyways.
    Well said, this idea that "no one will come here" is based on some sort of ridiculous insecurity. If the Twins offer the most money, free agents will come here, especially pitchers who know this won't be their last contract as pitching in TF provides them a boost.

    And again on BlackBurn. We all HOPE he bounces back. He's not on the 40 man anymore, so he's going to have to earn it if he does bounce back... The reality says that the odds of this happening aren't very good, but none-the-less, we can hope that he returns to the 2008/2009 Nick B... I don't get the angst b/c Ryan said he hopes for Blackburnto bounce back. I'd be worried if he didn't.

  18. #38
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,754
    Like
    4,851
    Liked 2,283 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

    I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.
    For Context... Terry Ryan said "they can't give their money away" and it was followed by him laughing.

    I've never seen him laugh before. He didn't look comfortable laughing... It seemed unnatural to me... That in itself made me laugh. Terry Ryan trying to entertain the MLB Crowd. Kinda like Alan Greenspan telling a joke.

    But I do agree... The 2012 product probably has an effect on 2013 Free Agents. I think the Twins will have to add a little more to the bottom line to sign someone. On top of that the current prices that you said were coming are not helping the situation.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.

  19. #39
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,983
    Like
    98
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    If what Ryan said is true (and I'm going from implication here) and they can't "give their money away" - we may not be talking about much in the way of FA signings. The team's awful play may really be dooming their ability to sign FAs. Or I guess that's how I read it.

    I suppose that could just be cover for the team not wanting to shell out the big bucks when negotiations get competitive.
    I think that is reading to much into it, I mean one of the largest free agent pitching signings this year went to the Royals. I think he just meant "we put some legit offers on the table, and those players haven't signed yet" which for the most part is pretty damn true. It was a rather quiet winter meetings when it was all said and down, **** the Twins were probably the biggest "mover and shaker" of the bunch this year!

    IMO none of the top 7 or so free agent pitchers are even off the board yet (or even close), let's give it a little more time before we declare no decent pitchers want to come to Minnesota (unless you think we truly missed out on the Feldman's etc of the world)

    On another note not related to your comment: As far as Blackburn goes, jesus people, stop reading to much into his comments. He basically expressed the fact that he would like to see Blackburn succeed again. Multiple other times he said that he needs to go out and sign some more pitchers for 2013, in fact he said basically all the rotation he now has, currently is Diamond and Worley. He isn't counting on Blackburn even closely at this point.

    With that said, Blackburn has struggled, a ton, but unlike a guy like Chone Figgins who is a clubhouse cancer, the Twins like Blackburn's attitude, which is exactly why instead of cutting him (and eating the contract anyways) they are going to let him pitch in AAA to try to "reprove" himself for the club. I don't see how anyone can really be against this, especially with the supreme lack of SP we have. For as "crappy" as we all think Blackburn is, it should be pointed out that in 3 of the 4 years prior to 2012, Blackburn posted an ERA that was perfectly acceptable for a #4 or #5 in the AL.

    Criticizing Ryan for "rooting" for Blackburn to succeed this year is pretty petty to be honest. Either way, Ryan doesn't count on him being a solution to the 2013 rotation anyways.
    Well said, this idea that "no one will come here" is based on some sort of ridiculous insecurity. If the Twins offer the most money, free agents will come here, especially pitchers who know this won't be their last contract as pitching in TF provides them a boost.

    And again on BlackBurn. We all HOPE he bounces back. He's not on the 40 man anymore, so he's going to have to earn it if he does bounce back... The reality says that the odds of this happening aren't very good, but none-the-less, we can hope that he returns to the 2008/2009 Nick B... I don't get the angst b/c Ryan said he hopes for Blackburnto bounce back. I'd be worried if he didn't.
    I have always thought the whole "players only want to play for a PROVEN WINNER" is a little far fetched as well. If you have the money, they will come. Also it isn't ridiculous to think the Twins can't return to contention within the next 2 years, they have the core pieces, the cash flow and the GM to do it. This isn't exactly the Miami Marlins or Pittsburgh Pirates we are talking about.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    340
    Like
    124
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    (Not sure if this is behind a paywall or not) http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove12/st...g-major-logjam

    I thought this article was interesting, noting how intertwined Greinke and Hamilton are with most of the other FA (and even trade) possibilities. The whole market is totally bogged down by them and whatever the Texas Rangers end up doing, and until one of them signs, nothing else much is happening (except for centerfielders, anyway). Essentially if you want to sign someone right now, your offer is probably going to have to be ridiculous. Once those guys sign, everything else will probably fall into place fairly quickly, and then we find out if TR can get anyone signed. But panicking before the entire market actually starts taking shape probably isn't really warranted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.