Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Does Ben Revere’s Departure Portent Justin Morneau Trade?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I think it's hard to know on Morneau, but I would guess no trade.

If the Twins manage to sign a pitcher like Dempster or Marcum to shore up the rotation further, add an additional vet for the back end/insurance, suddenly the rotation looks solid with Marcum/Dempster, Diamond, Worley, Gibson, Hendriks/De Vries/Walters/Waldrop/FA #2. It's one thing to go in the season needing 2 guys to step up from that last pack, another to be looking for 1.

Honestly, they should still have money to look for help at 2B/SS to have insurance against Dozier/Florimon not being ready/MLB-quality AND get a quality 3B option in case Plouffe was a fluke. Carroll slides back into the utility position he's best suited for and suddenly you've got a very nice bullpen coupled with a decent rotation and a solid lineup...why not ride that team, see how they do with a healthy Justin Morneau in the middle of the lineup (and hopefully after a full healthy year, no longer bailing out on pitches from LHers). If it doesn't work, you can look at dealing him at the deadline, but that's a team you can sell to the public as worth watching.

The rotation still wouldn't be top-end, but there'd be 4 pitchers who would qualify as being reasonable #2-#3 starters. And a massive improvement over last season. Offensive drop-off is likely in CF and LF (Willingham will likely regress a little due to age), but there's potential improvement (overall) for RF, 3B and 1B. Unlikely the offense at SS & 2B can get much worse! So why couldn't the offense be better?

No need to rush Arcia at that point. Progress in 2013 is a good idea to set up 2014, from a marketing standpoint...and from a team standpoint. Isn't it better to stagger out your rookie development a little if you can?

Time to double down on the future and move both Morneau and Willingham. The team can't compete in 2013 and shouldn't cling to any such illusions.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I don't understand what the Revere trade has to do with Morneau. he's just as available as he was before. The reason that I don't think Morneau will get traded (in the offseason) is that I don't think a team will trade a good prospect for him (even if the Twins pay half). If they do then he is gone.

Hypothetical......

Would you trade Justin Morneau for Brian Matusz and PTBNL - Kevin Gausmann?

I think I would.

Senior Member All-Star
    Morneau might not even get you Matusz. Gausman is completely off the table for the Twins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the trading is about done! It's time for the buying to start!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Morneau might not even get you Matusz. Gausman is completely off the table for the Twins.
    And you know what? I wouldnt mind getting Brian Matusz. Gausman is untouchable exactly right.

Senior Member All-Star
    I'll pass on Matusz for Morneau. All indications are that he's a lefty RP'er now. Arrieta or even Britton OTOH are more interesting.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gausman is probably unreachable, but what happens to the Nat's Desperation Meter if they lose Adam LaRoche? There are still enough quality prospects in the Nats org to get a good multi-player deal if they really hit the panic button.

Senior Member All-Star
    Gausman is probably unreachable, but what happens to the Nat's Desperation Meter if they lose Adam LaRoche? There are still enough quality prospects in the Nats org to get a good multi-player deal if they really hit the panic button.
    Are you mixing up the O's and Nats on purpose or accidentally? The Nats already have Mike Morse to play 1B and the O's have a good offense but pretty weak pitching so I don't understand why they would be trading a pitching prospect for a hitter.

Regardless of any desperation meter a guy like Gausman won't be traded for Morneau. And not Willingham either.

I think Morneau will remain a Twin, mid season may have a different answer if the team is struggling or there is an offer too good to be true.

Morneau is still a health risk, to sell now you are selling when his value is low.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    The Twins would need to require another huge overpay because point number four was most apt. It's not like his salary will now go toward free agent pitching. Losing his salary would just help to set the bar lower for future payrolls.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not sure what the market is for a $14,000,000 first baseman with a.267/.333/.444 line and a history of major head injuries.

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    I'm not sure what the market is for a $14,000,000 first baseman with a.267/.333/.444 line and a history of major head injuries.
    On the other hand, a contender at the trade deadline might be willing to give up a really good prospect for a former MVP if he is having a good season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee has to be in RF at the moment (yikes) and Morneau is safe. Morneau now is a deadline deal and that is fine (Parmelee takes over at 1B and Arcia takes over in RF).

This is all about Aaron Hicks.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Are you mixing up the O's and Nats on purpose or accidentally? The Nats already have Mike Morse to play 1B and the O's have a good offense but pretty weak pitching so I don't understand why they would be trading a pitching prospect for a hitter.

Regardless of any desperation meter a guy like Gausman won't be traded for Morneau. And not Willingham either.

The Orioles have publicly stated they are in search of a 1B/DH power hitter. The Nats, in possibly losing LaRoche, lose a LH 1B power bat, Morse is RH and having a lefty power bat may or may not be a higher Nat priority.

I agree a guy like Gausman wouldn't be traded straight-up for either of them, but a package that includes a top Twins prospect, who knows? The Orioles already have Dylan Bundy and if they think they are one or two pieces away from a shot at the pennant, who knows what they might offer?- they also have another raw, big hard-throwing SP and blocked 3B and 2B at the top of their MiL prospect list.

Regarding Morse and the Nats, with their OF now full and Brian Goodwin knocking at the door, they might even be willing to swap him to the Twins in some kind of deal. Another RH power bat and ability to play 1B/OF/DH would fit nicely at Target and the Twins lineup, both contracts expire after 2013, but Morse only makes $6.75M (who might like MN and wish to re-sign). Longshot, but again, worth inquiring about, Eric Davis, Matt Purke, Ryan Mattheus are worth putting on the table- they've alredy thrown Drew Storen out there, they also have a couple of intriguing power hitting MiL 3B.

And yes, what with the just-completed epic trade with my favorite NL team and its neighbor (my 2nd fav AL team, I'm from MD originally) just to the east, my conflation-radar goes off simultaneously for both when one is mentioned.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-07-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Parmelee has to be in RF at the moment (yikes) and Morneau is safe. Morneau now is a deadline deal and that is fine (Parmelee takes over at 1B and Arcia takes over in RF).

This is all about Aaron Hicks.
    And Oswaldo Arcia?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    yeah, we're talking a lot about CF with Benson/Hicks/Mastroianni... however, Arcia is probably the most big-league ready of the bunch, and if RF were to open up, I think they'd be pretty comfortable going to him.
    Or maybe Ellsbury ends up our centerfielder....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    On the other hand, a contender at the trade deadline might be willing to give up a really good prospect for a former MVP if he is having a good season.
    Is Vlad Guerrero available in this scenario? He's only two more years removed from his MVP award than Morneau!

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gausman isn't available in a trade b/c PTBNLs have to be named in 6 months. They could pull this off in spring training or at the deadline in July, but not before then. I'd be quite happy getting Gausman for Morneau, but I have a tough time believing Baltimore would bite on that... not right now at least. If they are contending at the deadline, maybe...

That said, if I were Baltimore, I'd be looking forward to the days of having Bundy and Gausman fronting a rotation... That's 2 potential aces there. Given that much of this season was luck, I think they'd be foolish to trade either of those guys away.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast