Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where does the Twins Farm System Rank?

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be completely honest, I've been bearish on how the Twins rank MLB-wise... and right now I'd put them in the Top 5.

The part that makes it even crazier is that we're not looking at a lot of potential graduations this year. Gibson will be off for sure and now possibly Hicks. You have to hope that some of the 2011 relievers improve their stock as starters (or fast-track relievers) and throw in the #4 pick in the draft (Appel? Manaea?) and we're talking, potentially, the best farm system in the league heading into 2014. I know it's a long way off, but still... wow.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Lets flip the script for a second. Say the Twins thought THEY were the contenders but needed a CF/leadoff hitter to be taken seriously. Which of the TWINS top ten prospects would you be willing to give up for Span? Kepler, Berrios maybe? I don't know if I'd give up either for Revere. The system's deep.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought they were on the bottom of the top 10. After adding these two pitchers, I'd think they've risen a bit. Really high on Meyer as I think he's going to be a stud... Not as certain about May.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.
    6. Twins
    5. Jays- They dealt Marisnick and Nic to the Marlins, but still have Sanchez and Syndergaard. Also have D'Arnaud and a lot of HS talent that will b developing this year
    4. Rays- 6 of their top 10 are Pitchers. Guerrieri has potential to be an ace . The rest of their system is built up with pitchers/young hitters.
    3. Diamondbacks- They have 3 ACES in Skaggs/Bauer/Bradley with Skaggs being the best, but the rest of their system is weak.
    2. Rangers- The System speaks for itself. Profar,Olt, Perez, and a seemingly endless supply of top Latin American talent. I was considering putting them at 1, but their younger talent is about ready to play their first Full league season this year, after this year when Walker and Zunino make their Debut's, the Rangers will be #1. Texas lacks a real ace in their system as well, although Perez will be a good 2.
    1. Mariners- Walker is an Ace, Paxton and Hultzen will top out at #2's (which is very hard to find these days), Zunino is a a star behind the plate and his bat backs that up. Maurer is regarded very highly in their system after his breakout year.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I like our system but we don't have a top 20 type prospect (yet). We have a lot of guys in the 20-80 range but no certain elite prospect. I think Sano and Buxton could get there but they aren't there yet. I think 1-10, we're probably good as anyone but a few teams probably have a better 1-5 or so. I think we're probably a top 8 system but I don't know if we're much higher than that.

On the plus side, next year, despite losing Hicks and Gibson, we'll be adding the #4 pick and hopefully we'll have great years out of Meyer and May to see them shoot up the rankings.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't feel I have enough info to say where the Twins rank. I don't know enough about all the teams and the ranking systems. The one that jumps out at me is Seattle with 3 top 20 pitchers and #3 catcher in the minors according to John Mayo...(only one opinion). Regarding the Twins, two stand out to me: 1. Experts have said it is extremely rare to have 2 legit #1 prospects and the Twins have that in Sano and Buxton. 2. Until recently we had those two guys and solid offense in the pipe and now we add 2 very legit pitching prospects.

We will always need more pitching but I feel really good about where this is going. So far the off season has been very pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.
    6. Twins
    5. Jays- They dealt Marisnick and Nic to the Marlins, but still have Sanchez and Syndergaard. Also have D'Arnaud and a lot of HS talent that will b developing this year
    4. Rays- 6 of their top 10 are Pitchers. Guerrieri has potential to be an ace . The rest of their system is built up with pitchers/young hitters.
    3. Diamondbacks- They have 3 ACES in Skaggs/Bauer/Bradley with Skaggs being the best, but the rest of their system is weak.
    2. Rangers- The System speaks for itself. Profar,Olt, Perez, and a seemingly endless supply of top Latin American talent. I was considering putting them at 1, but their younger talent is about ready to play their first Full league season this year, after this year when Walker and Zunino make their Debut's, the Rangers will be #1. Texas lacks a real ace in their system as well, although Perez will be a good 2.
    1. Mariners- Walker is an Ace, Paxton and Hultzen will top out at #2's (which is very hard to find these days), Zunino is a a star behind the plate and his bat backs that up. Maurer is regarded very highly in their system after his breakout year.
    Not to be a huge homer but I think it could be argued that the Twins stack up pretty well with the Jays and Rays after adding Meyer and May. The D-Backs could move down if they pull the trigger on any of the rumored megadeals they've been rumored to be involved in. It looks like they're hellbent on moving Bauer or Skaggs for a premium shortstop.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesfan11 View Post

6. Twins
    Not to be a huge homer but I think it could be argued that the Twins stack up pretty well with the Jays and Rays after adding Meyer and May. The D-Backs could move down if they pull the trigger on any of the rumored megadeals they've been rumored to be involved in. It looks like they're hellbent on moving Bauer or Skaggs for a premium shortstop.
    if the Rays trade Shields for Myers, Rays jump to 3 . If Rays deal Shields for Myers, and AZ trades either Bauer or Skaggs (Skaggs is the best one of the 2, and the Indians refused to make a deal for Asrubdal because they wanted Skaggs in it) this is what it looks like. I guess the whole wild card will be "Does Jupton get dealt". Apparently the Royals beat writer expects a Myers for Shields trade to be completed sooner rather than later.
    1. Seattle
    2. Tampa
    3. Texas
    4. Jays
    5. Twins

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries

6. Twins
    This seems to be pretty spot on. I think graduation is going to hit the top six somewhat evenly this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Lets flip the script for a second. Say the Twins thought THEY were the contenders but needed a CF/leadoff hitter to be taken seriously. Which of the TWINS top ten prospects would you be willing to give up for Span? Kepler, Berrios maybe? I don't know if I'd give up either for Revere. The system's deep.
    Good question. I would want to hold on to Kepler and Berrios as much as the very top prospects, so I would be more inclined to send Benson, Harrison, or Boyd and maybe a lower guy like Hermsen. And that's for Span. Revere? Certainly none of the top 10-12.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

6. Twins
    This seems to be pretty spot on. I think graduation is going to hit the top six somewhat evenly this year.
    "Graduation" is going to hit the D-Backs,Rangers, Mariners the worst.
    Mariners: Depends how they handle Walker, they could bring him up in the middle of the year, otherwise Zunino,Hultzen,Paxton should all be up July. Without that core of guys, they will be dropping quite a bit.
    Rangers: Profar,Olt, Perez likely will be on their OD roster and contribute right away, after they had a cup of coffee in the majors last year. After those 3 graduate, it is Buckel, and a bunch of Young Latins/High School draft picks. Likely sitting at the bottom of the top 10 without those guys.
    Arizona- For Now, Bauer and Skaggs will be in the rotation to begin next year. Without those 2, they still have an ACE in Archie who is likely 3 years away, but not much else. Likely sitting at 20-23 once they lose those guys.
    Rays will graduate Archer, and have the #1 System. They have Hak-Ju Lee coming up at SS, but their Starting pitching between A+ and AA is amazing. They also have a few HS position players who were top prospects at the beginning of the year, but suspended. Once they get back, the Rays will be sitting nicely.
    Twins: Hicks and Gibson look like they will be in the majors to start next year, even without those guys, they have a stocked system. Kepler will be the guy to keep an eye on in Cedar Rapids. The Power in A and A+ next year for the Twins is what why the Twins are trying to get so much pitching. They want to had established starters by the time the Big Boys make their way to the majors. After Graduation, Twins will likely be sitting at #2
    Jays D'Arnaud will be in the majors at some point next year. I am not a believer in Daniel Norris, but they have too much HS and Latin Talent coming up in A ball next year. AA has done an amazing job with getting young latins and HS'ers in the draft. After Graduation, they will be sitting at #4 behind the Pirates.
    Last edited by jtrinaldi; 12-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think May is valued too high on the list and probably I also would have Benson lower. Would move Roberts higher and also Gibson(Who rates to be a #2 starter). Outside of that the list is close. Twins should rank in the top 5 as some of the lower prospects also could have high ceilings and be here in 2014(Don't remember name, but leftly reliever drafted last year and was is Beloit(I believe))

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I think May is valued too high on the list and probably I also would have Benson lower. Would move Roberts higher and also Gibson(Who rates to be a #2 starter). Outside of that the list is close. Twins should rank in the top 5 as some of the lower prospects also could have high ceilings and be here in 2014(Don't remember name, but leftly reliever drafted last year and was is Beloit(I believe))
    The Draft Picks that were in Beloit from this year were:
    Bax
    Taylor Rogers
    Melotakis
    Zach Jones

Bax and Rogers will likely start in Cedar Rapids to start, while Melotakis and Jones should start in the Fort. Mason and Zach both sit around 96-99 and seem to have closing potential. One of the Dodgers scouts in Beloit said that if Jones was in the Dodgers system, that he would be moving very fast up to the majors.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bax
    Taylor Rogers
    Melotakis
    Zach Jones

Bax and Rogers will likely start in Cedar Rapids to start, while Melotakis and Jones should start in the Fort. Mason and Zach both sit around 96-99 and seem to have closing potential. One of the Dodgers scouts in Beloit said that if Jones was in the Dodgers system, that he would be moving very fast up to the majors.
    I think the Dodgers scout said 'We'd be moving him for a guy in the majors.' Cause that's what they do now.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bax
    Taylor Rogers
    Melotakis
    Zach Jones

I like Melotakis more than Jones. He's left handed, younger, and a little taller. While it means nothing, he did perform better too in 30> Innings.

Blog Entries
    I was assuming that Arcia would be up too.

Anyway, a lot depends on Berrios and Kepler, then on people who we don't really know a lot about like Bard.

And again, if Rosario stays at second base that keeps him very high on the list.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Harrison is ranked higher than Kepler onTwins site, yet everyone talks of Kepler as the untouchable? Why is that? doesn't Harrison have a greater chance of moving through system quicker since the Twins need infield help? Both are exceptional hitters on the brink.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Harrison is ranked higher than Kepler onTwins site, yet everyone talks of Kepler as the untouchable? Why is that? doesn't Harrison have a greater chance of moving through system quicker since the Twins need infield help? Both are exceptional hitters on the brink.
    After this year, Kepler will be miles ahead of Harrison. Harrison has no set defined position, and will likely end up at 1st if he can get for enough power. His fielding at 3rd is atrocious

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Kepler should no longer be below Harrison. Given that I believe Sano will end up at 1st, Harrison is either going to DH or, if Arcia is occupying that spot, be traded down the road. Down the road, though, not anytime soon.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I don't really get the excitement over Harrison. He had a nice season but overall an .850 OPS in ETown isn't that great for a player that is likely headed to 1B. It's encouraging since scouts seem high on him so I'm guessing he has a nice swing that could carry him. Kepler might have repeated ETown but he's still 4 months younger and he hit for a lot more power and struck out a lot less. I also like Polanco more than Harrison because he has so much more defensive value.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast