Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where does the Twins Farm System Rank?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Systems up for top 5 consideration: Pirates, DBacks, Royals (thinned out a little), Twins, Rangers, Mariners and Cardinals. Some others that aren't far behind: Rays, Jays, Marlins, Reds, Cubs (very thin after the top 3 though) and Red Sox.

This was just a quick listing. I'm sure that I missed a deserving team or two. Overall I really liked the Twins system before the two trades regardless of pitching/hitting balance. Obviously I like the system a lot more now.
    This was from before the Bauer/Myers/D'Arnaud trades. After those trades the Rays and DBacks certainly switch spots while I might have been too high on the Royals (w/ Myers) based on previous strength and the Jays gutted their system. I can understand why the Red Sox are rated high but I'm not as high on the Marlins still but Fernandez and yelich is enough to carry them to the 3rd ranking.

Here are Callis's rankings from the latest Ask BA

1. Cardinals
    Loaded big league club awaits Oscar Taveras, Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal.
    2. Mariners
    Their best prospects, even 2012 first-rounder Mike Zunino, have had Double-A success.
    3. Marlins
    Blockbuster trade with Blue Jays propelled this system from middle of the pack.
    4. Rangers
    No organization has more high-ceiling prospects, or one better than Jurickson Profar.
    5. Red Sox
    Help is on the way with Xander Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley, Matt Barnes and Allen Webster.
    6. Rays
    Dealing for Wil Myers and Jake Odorizzi helps to make up for recent lackluster drafts.
    7. Twins
    The best collection of bats in the minors, led by Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano.
    8. Pirates
    System isn't deep but has impressive trios of arms and bats that most can't match.
    9. Diamondbacks
    No. 6 on my list before subtracting Trevor Bauer and adding Didi Gregorius.
    10. Astros
    Rebuilding will take time, but trades and 2012 draft are steps in the right direction.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins may be ranked lower because of the bulk of the talent being at lower levels. Still think they can move up rapidly with a few of the players now hitting Double A this year and the bulk of the system hitting full season ball. This plus the #4 prospect and any other signings will help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Twins may be ranked lower because of the bulk of the talent being at lower levels. Still think they can move up rapidly with a few of the players now hitting Double A this year and the bulk of the system hitting full season ball. This plus the #4 prospect and any other signings will help.
    I think this is the main factor. A good draft pick and representative years from Sano, Buxton and a few others and the Twins could be #1 next year.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 124 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Or they are ranked roughly where they should be. There is no doubt imo that the Cards, M's, Rangers and Rays have a better systems. I still disagree about the ranking of the Marlins though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the Twins are quite a top 5 system yet, they have drastic holes for talent around the infield, certainly not anybody that has shown they can hit AND field, lots of either-or's or haven't shown's (there is some promise - Goodrum, Michael, Polanco). They'd rank 5-10 I think, and 7 or 8 seems to be the spot most places have them. Also, even with their recent Meyer and May acquisitions, they are very light on top-end Starting Pitching, and the bulk of that talent has yet to reach even AA.

However, they are going to be well-represented in top 100 lists, as I think they have 7 legitimate candidates: Sano, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario, Meyer, May. I also think Sano and Buxton will crack a lot of top 20's.

Personally, I can't wait for Seth's Prospect Handbook again this year. I always enjoy that and was grateful my top 10 list has been included before.

My top 10 as it currently sits is:

10 - Max Kepler
    9 - Jose Berrios
    8 - Trevor May (could rise very quickly if he bounces back, was an almost unanimous #1 prospect for Phillies going into 2012)
    7 - Kyle Gibson
    6 - Eddie Rosario
    5 - Oswaldo Arcia
    4 - Alex Meyer
    3 - Aaron Hicks
    2 - Byron Buxton
    1 - Miguel Sano
    Last edited by Steve Lein; 01-08-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Hope this isn't against he rules of copying and pasting

7) Minnesota Twins (17): Strengths: hitting. Oswaldo Arcia and Aaron Hicks will be ready to help the outfield sometime in 2013. Enormous upside in players like Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton, Max Kepler and Eddie Rosario. Weaknesses: lack of high upside arms although that's improved thanks to '12 draft and winter trades that brought in Alex Meyer and Trevor May. If new group of arms develops properly, this could be a top three system by end of '13.

2013 Baseball Farm System Rankings - Minor League Ball

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    A 10 place jump in one offseason is pretty significant. Marlins, Astros and Cubs also made significant jumps.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its free material and you provided a link so I doubt anyone will object.

I also noticed our division rivals are ranked 21, 25, 28 and 30

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Now if we could only hire someone to manage this talent. Also, it would be nice if we could have 1 prospect come up at least 3 years after being drafted. So much for a fast track here to get talent to the bigs to help out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Now if we could only hire someone to manage this talent. Also, it would be nice if we could have 1 prospect come up at least 3 years after being drafted. So much for a fast track here to get talent to the bigs to help out.
    I'm quick to criticize the often pokey development, but there really are only a few examples of guys currently in the system that really should have been promoted sooner. Look for that to change though if the Twins end up drafting Stanek or Appel in the draft. Their college season has yet to begin but both have a decent shot of being drafted in 2013 and arriving at the MLB level 2014. I don't think the Twins would be able to stymie the advancement of high profile and high polish college arms such as them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Law has them #2 behind St. Louis.

BA has them #10.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    There is no one in the system who could be called up just three years after signing. Sano was too young when he signed. Gibson got hurt or he'd be here already. Buxton is unpolished and will probably take 4+ years to reach the majors. Michael had potential to do it but fell on his face in the low minors. Wimmers was hurt.

High school guys almost never make it within three years and in most cases, it's a good thing (Delmon Young, anyone?). Considering how many high school guys the Twins have taken in early rounds, it's not surprising how few 22-year-olds we've seen in Minnesota. Plus, the earlier a player gets called up, the more likely a team is to lose valuable prime production years as the player leaves for free agency.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The Twins have five dozen employees in scouting and development. Isn't it a little silly to credit or blame one guy?
    I would think he had hiring and firing authority over them all, so no, it's not silly. The buck stopped there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234