Thread: Skip Schumaker

Skip Schumaker

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...f004ba37e.html

Saw this on Rotoworld this morning. This would be a great move for the right price, he could platoon with Mastro in CF to start the season and move to more 2B once Hicks is ready. I wonder what the Cards would want for him?
    Last edited by twinkiesfan11; 12-07-2012 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled last name

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    I dunno, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't give up anything resembling value to get him though. And he seems basically redudant with Carroll already on the roster to be honest. I think for what Shumaker has over Caroll in offense is more then made up for in defense on Carroll's end.

I'd prefer the Twins try to bring in a legit starting 2B/SS with upside, rather then just another Util guy. We have plenty of those :P

I wish we could get Stephen Drew or Kelly Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I dunno, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't give up anything resembling value to get him though. And he seems basically redudant with Carroll already on the roster to be honest. I think for what Shumaker has over Caroll in offense is more then made up for in defense on Carroll's end.

I'd prefer the Twins try to bring in a legit starting 2B/SS with upside, rather then just another Util guy. We have plenty of those :P

I wish we could get Stephen Drew or Kelly Johnson.
    For whatever reason, neither of those two are being mentioned with the Twins. Schumaker could be a nice bridge to Hicks and Daniel Santana and then serve as a useful utility player or trade chip after they arrive.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    I'd like Drew or Johnson, but Schumaker is cheaper and a more consistant OBP guy. I'm sure the Twins are looking to fix the top of the lineup in tandem with finding middle infielders.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe Schumaker is a free agent. Would not be the worst of signings for a million or two a year.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I believe Schumaker is a free agent. Would not be the worst of signings for a million or two a year.
    He's signed for one more year at 1.5 million.
    Maybe for a minor leaguer we could get him.
    I bent my wookie...

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesfan11 View Post
    For whatever reason, neither of those two are being mentioned with the Twins. Schumaker could be a nice bridge to Hicks and Daniel Santana and then serve as a useful utility player or trade chip after they arrive.
    He is still redundant IMO with Carroll around. Also Mastro is a better option in CF IMO, offensively it wouldn't shock me if they were the same, and Schumaker rates pretty bad in CF defensively.

I'd rather give Dozier the reps then another Util guy, to be honest.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is making $1.5 million this year. I really like the consistency of his career numbers. Trading for him would take what kind of prospect?

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    He is making $1.5 million this year. I really like the consistency of his career numbers. Trading for him would take what kind of prospect?
    Someone in the 30-40 range.

My only fear is that he's cheap, has the track record you mentioned, and is also being pursued by the Reds and Dodgers who haven't been afraid to overpay under new ownership. I think he'd be a nice pick up but only at the right price.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone in the 30-40 range.
    Exactly he would not command anything significant of value. I would not mind having Skip on the Twins one bit.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do the Cardinals need to stock up on middle relievers in their system? Haha.

I read a quote (source) from the Cardinals GM that they wanted (ideally) a ML-ready talent - he didn't specify position player or pitcher.

the quote:
    Schumaker “is a name we’ve had out there for a little bit,” Mozeliak said. “We’ve tried to optimize the type of return we might get for him. We’ve left it fairly open. If we can get major-league help, we would definitely consider that. If we can’t find it we will look for someone who can fit into our minor-league system.”
    So - who is the kind of player they'd want? Later in the article it says they are looking for a hitter . . . but would they take ... Nick Blackburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_Waved_At_Me View Post
    I read a quote (source) from the Cardinals GM that they wanted (ideally) a ML-ready talent - he didn't specify position player or pitcher.

the quote:
    Schumaker “is a name we’ve had out there for a little bit,” Mozeliak said. “We’ve tried to optimize the type of return we might get for him. We’ve left it fairly open. If we can get major-league help, we would definitely consider that. If we can’t find it we will look for someone who can fit into our minor-league system.”
    So - who is the kind of player they'd want? Later in the article it says they are looking for a hitter . . . but would they take ... Nick Blackburn?
    The only way anyone takes Blackburn is if the Twins pick up 100% of the salary.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,215 Times in 725 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only way anyone takes Blackburn is if the Twins pick up 100% of the salary.
    Blackburn is on the books for just 2013, since the team and not the player holds the option for 2014; in that sense he matches up with Schumaker except he makes more. We're going to pay Blackburn to pitch for Rochester regardless, it would be no big deal to pay him to pitch for an NL team. I'd give such a deal consideration.

He's got a pretty significant platoon split, and is someone the Cardinals avoid allowing to bat against lefties. It'll let Gardy earn his salary. That's good - busy hands are happy hands.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Right. They pay the salary no matter what...so if you puck up all of it, and get anything in return, it is worth it. That said, I like Carroll at 2nd.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is going to be 33. He has never had positive defensive metrics at 2B. He isn't a good outfielder with the glove or the bat. They need to put forward the best possible middle infield defense.

Worst case is the Twins play him at 2b and Carroll at SS this year and have no answers about Florimon, Dozier or Escobar moving into 2014.

I don't see how this would fit any Ryan blueprint unless his plan is to offer a historically poor defensive team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Dodgers and free agent right-hander Zack Greinke have reached agreement on a six-year, $147 million contract.

It's only pending a physical. The $24.5 million average annual value of Greinke's new deal is the richest any pitcher has ever received. The Dodgers' 2013 payroll now sits over $225 million, making it the highest in MLB history. Greinke will slot in as the No. 2 starter in Los Angeles, behind staff ace Clayton Kerhsaw.
    Related: Dodgers

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 593 Times in 226 Posts
    WTF does Greinke have to do with Schumaker?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's