Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: 2013 Opening Day Batting Order & Pitcher

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question 2013 Opening Day Batting Order & Pitcher

Here's what it should be presuming the current roster (IThis is tough):
    1. Mastro CF
    2. Mauer C (I know, they'll always bat Joe #3, but he should be #2)
    3. Doumit DH
    4. Willingham LF
    5. Morneau 1B
    6. Plouffe 3B
    7. Parmalee RF
    8. Dozier 2B
    9. Florimon SS
    Starting Pitcher: Worley
    That's the makings for another 90 loss team in 2013, imho. Hopefully, we can later ride prospects to the promised land like the KC Royals have (ooops, bad analogy, I'm actually more optimistic because of TR's prior success)

I think Diamond is our opening day starter.

That said, your lineup looks about right and I agree, it's an awful team. I think this team eventually needs to move Plouffe to RF and it might as well be this year (IMO). I think we need to move either Morneau or Willingham and bring back more young talent.

1)Mastroianni CF
    2)Carrol 2B
    3)Mauer C
    4)Willingham LF
    5)Morneau 1B
    6)Doumit DH
    7)Plouffe 3B
    8)Parmalee RF
    9)Florimon SS

SP - Diamond
    That is what I think the opening day lineup will be.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's still a lot of offseason to play out before I get worried about the Opening Day lineup.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Then it would look even worse.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries
    I know it's too early if the purpose was to debate the opening day line-up. But my nefarious purpose is to try to show that those who claim that the Twins will have a stellar line-up, haven't thought it through. They need alot of luck or a few more players added if they are going to be better than a 90 loss team in 2013.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
    I think Diamond is our opening day starter.

That said, your lineup looks about right and I agree, it's an awful team. I think this team eventually needs to move Plouffe to RF and it might as well be this year (IMO). I think we need to move either Morneau or Willingham and bring back more young talent.
    If this is already an awful team, in the 90s for losses again, is it really on the table to cross the 100-loss threshold by trading another key producer for talent that won't help right away?

Losing Willingham doesn't free up enough cash to sign someone else who will help - that is the essence of a team-friendly contract, right? I also question the value of the prospects you'd receive for Morneau unless you pay for some salary, and that leaves you with the same question of whether you can do something to replace him for 2013 (since Parmelee is penciled in for RF in the above lineup).

A GM that goes into a season telling his boss that 100 losses is a possible outcome, in exchange for a brighter future, might not have a job the next morning.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strumdatjag View Post
    Here's what it should be presuming the current roster (IThis is tough):
    1. Mastro CF
    2. Mauer C (I know, they'll always bat Joe #3, but he should be #2)
    3. Doumit DH
    4. Willingham LF
    5. Morneau 1B
    6. Plouffe 3B
    7. Parmalee RF
    8. Dozier 2B
    9. Florimon SS
    Starting Pitcher: Worley
    That's the makings for another 90 loss team in 2013, imho. Hopefully, we can later ride prospects to the promised land like the KC Royals have (ooops, bad analogy, I'm actually more optimistic because of TR's prior success)
    How in all that is holy is this a bad lineup? I think any team would take the 2-5 hitters in their lineup just about any day of the week when they are healthy, which they managed to do last year. Parmalee is also coming along with his hitting ability, and if Plouffe could hit like he did in June and july last year, this would be one dangerous middle of the lineup with on-base guys (mius Dozier cause I think he has shown as much talent as Valencia in hitting) in front of them. While their rotation still needs improvement, I am feeling good so far about their moves so far this offseason (minus having to trade Revere cause he's awesome in my book).

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As the lineup is currently constructed, the Twins have a good chance to be above average at C, 1B, 3B, LF, RF (if you believe in Parmelee) and DH. Not unthinkable to me that Mastroianni/Hicks could scrape together a respectable line in center. I have little hope for the middle infield but they've won with offensive liabilities there in the past.

Any team not called the Yankees or Rangers rolls with question marks in the lineup. Don't underrate the impact that big seasons from Mauer and Morneau can have. Even without Span and Revere, this lineup holds plenty of intrigue, especially with a couple top prospects knocking on the door. Clearly it won't be an elite unit but could be good enough to win some games with support from a decent pitching staff. To that end, Ryan is clearly not finished.

Senior Member Double-A
    Blog Entries

Angry

Actually, I'm not that pessimistic long-term. I agree with Terry Ryan building up the depleted pitching ranks. A few elbow and shoulder injuries might make these look like bad moves, but you have to have [pitching and the risks go with the acquisition of hurlers. That said, our pitchers may not be the only ones hurling next season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was just coming to post something like this...anyways, here's my take:
    1. Mastro CF
    2. Escobar SS
    3. Mauer C (I know, they'll always bat Joe #3, but he should be #2)

4. Willingham LF
    5. Morneau 1B
    6. Doumit DH
    7. Plouffe 3B
    8. Parmalee RF
    9. Carroll 2B

SP Diamond

Bench - Butera, Benson, Dozier, Florimon

If they sign Hannahan or Skip, Dozier starts the season in AAA (with Skip likely getting a start over Carroll at 2B)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    As the lineup is currently constructed, the Twins have a good chance to be above average at C, 1B, 3B, LF, RF (if you believe in Parmelee) and DH. Not unthinkable to me that Mastroianni/Hicks could scrape together a respectable line in center. I have little hope for the middle infield but they've won with offensive liabilities there in the past.

Any team not called the Yankees or Rangers rolls with question marks in the lineup. Don't underrate the impact that big seasons from Mauer and Morneau can have. Even without Span and Revere, this lineup holds plenty of intrigue, especially with a couple top prospects knocking on the door. Clearly it won't be an elite unit but could be good enough to win some games with support from a decent pitching staff. To that end, Ryan is clearly not finished.
    Even the Yanks this year have some serious holes in their lineup, especially with the A-Rod injury. I also agree, I have a feeling that Ryan has a move or two still up his sleeve.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can I have a pipe dream:

Hicks, CF
    Mauer, C
    Willingham, LF
    Morneau, 1B
    Doumit, DH
    Plouffe, 3B
    Parmelee, RF
    Dozier/Carroll 2B
    Florimon/Carroll SS

Diamond

I fear a Mastroianni-Carroll top of the order. If Mastroianni is the starting CF, I do think the slowsters top is still the best (Carroll, Mauer, Willingham .. . )

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1 Mastroianni CF
    2 Carrol 2B
    3 Mauer C
    4 Willingham LF
    5 Morneau 1B
    6 Doumit DH
    7 Parmalee RF
    8 Plouffe 3B
    9 Dozier SS
    Gardenhire believes Dozier is a SS. They'll play him until they realize he's a 2B.
    Shaun Marcum will be the Opening Day pitcher, with Diamond and Worley and a bag of balls behind him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Since TR will clearly be making a few more moves before Spring Training, it is indeed awfully early to be talking lineups & batting order. But even as things stand, there's a really solid core of hitters there if Parmelee & Plouffe can put together consistent hitting. Mauer will likely compete for a batting title again. Morneau should actually be better this season as he gets further away from his concussion (he was seriously bailing out against LH pitching last year, and a healthy year will help him stay in). Doumit is a solid hitter. Williamham is a prototypical RH slugger who fits in perfectly between the M & M boys. Offense up the middle is problematic, but ANY improvement there makes a pretty big difference.

The offense was solid last year, but the starting pitching was so bad it needed to be superior to win. The rotation is getting better: add Marcum or Dempster and the rotation will be significantly better than last season. Either one of those guys would be a nice Opening Day starter, and having Diamond, Worley, and Gibson behind him works for me.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would bet that the only pitchers that would given an opening day start over Diamond are Grienke or Dickey. The only consistent starter in 2012 will be given the ball

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I'm betting we have an OF on a 1 year deal and still pick up a pitcher or two this offseason... Hardly done, and way too early for this.