Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another one gone

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Correct, with Mauer at $23MM, that means your next three players can only make $24MM combined. Even if they trade Morneau, that isn't going to leave much money for a top line, or second line, pitcher. Still hoping though....
    Lighten up Francis....

The Twins are all talk, outside of Pavano (and that's questionable as he was on the downside of his career), when's the last time the Twins signed a quality free agent. It's becoming increasingly frustrating being a Twins fan.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Correct, with Mauer at $23MM, that means your next three players can only make $24MM combined. Even if they trade Morneau, that isn't going to leave much money for a top line, or second line, pitcher. Still hoping though....
    Math and reading comprehension.
    Even at a 100 million budget that would leave 27 Million for 3 players. at 120, that would leave 37. Ryan has also stated he can spend more for the right players.

Senior Member MVP
    Well, my assumption is $95MM, which is what they have sort of been saying. Half of 95 is 47.5. 47.5-23=24.5. I guess I did round down by .5 MM, that is true. But I love your condescending tone.But even if it was 27 vs 24MM, is that really a difference?

He says he can spend money, he says the Pohlads have never turned him down, ever, for money. When has he spent it? Look, I hope he will sign two legit pitchers this offseason, they have the money to do it. But I don't think it will happen. Still hoping I'm wrong, though.
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 12-08-2012 at 09:21 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    A percentage means jack if you don't have a payroll figure. So if the team gets 24 guys signed and they are sitting at $80 million, does that mean they can't spend another dime for the 25th guy because of that stupid pricipal? Doubt it, if anything the 50% rule will only be used as an excuse to keep payroll down.

Senior Member MVP
    Nick, agreed. We do not know the payroll figure, but does anyone think it is likely to be more than $95MM this year? I generally assume Terry Ryan is not lying when he talks to the media. If he says no team can win with their top 3-4 players making 50% of the payroll, then I think he really believes that.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Yes, this one is a bummer. Running out of appealing FA candidates, Mr. Ryan.
    Wait, what? You're not turning in your binoculars and pith helmet yet, are you?
    Just being honest, jokin. You should try it sometime.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the youth movement coming up, the Twins can afford one or two big contracts at areas of need. Mauer has C all wrapped up. Having a nice SP or SS would helpful as well given that we will still need help there in 2014 as well.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked McCarthy. Too bad. Twins can afford to spend some money, but will they?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12