Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take for you to trade Joe Mauer?

What would it take for you to trade Joe Mauer?

You are Terry Ryan.
    You know trading Joe Mauer is a terrible idea...
    But you just traded both of your awesome center fielders for pitching.

The Red Sox keep asking you about it. You probably told them you would take the sun, moon, and stars in return. The Red Sox just signed Mike Napoli.

So the question is what would it take? And from which team?

I would hate to do it...
    but if they took on all of that contract, we got back an MLB starter, a near MLB ready shortstop, an MLB catcher, and a hot pitching prospect.

Would that do it for you?

Is there a scenario that makes you call up Mauer and see if he would waive his no trade clause?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Thread

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, the Redsox have the chips that I'd want to trade Mauer... but this has about as much chance happening as me hooking up with Kate Upton and my wife being perfectly OK with it.

To answer your other question: Boegarts, Barnes, Lavernway, and Middlebrooks.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Of course a Scenerio exists. The scenerio that you list would easily do it for me.

I assume this exercise would have to be a bare minimum what would it take. Because if its not a bare minimum question you might as well shoot for the moon and say Harper, Gonzalez, Zimmerman, Zimmerman, Morse, Ramos and Strausburg.

First of all... Trading Mauer would have nothing to do with the 23 Million on his contract. We have plenty of money to spend right now and very little to spend it on. We will have more money to spend in the future. It would have everything to do with improving our team.

2nd... I could probably find a scenerio to trade Joe with almost every club. So picking a single squad is hard.

Since all of MLB is at my disposal. I'd want Pitching. Kershaw would be at the top of my list. Would he be enough by himself??? He'd be close... Throw in Zach Lee and I'd do it.

Or maybe a scenerio where you take a little less than Kershaw at the top so you can get better throw ins... To Arizona for Kennedy, Skaggs and Bauer.

Seriously... Tons of scenarios to sort thru. Hard question with a bunch of easy answers.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-08-2012 at 08:33 AM.

It doesn't matter if Boston takes on the contract for a couple of reasons.

The Twins most likely wouldn't spend the proceeds.

Or they wouldn't spend all of it because they value FA lower than the market bears. Thus the reason they won't spend there recently freed up 25-30 million.

I know it is still early, but I would be shocked if they sign anyone from the tier two pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yes, the Redsox have the chips that I'd want to trade Mauer... but this has about as much chance happening as me hooking up with Kate Upton and my wife being perfectly OK with it.

To answer your other question: Boegarts, Barnes, Lavernway, and Middlebrooks.
    I think the Yankees and Rangers are big market teams that have those chips too. The Twins would need to get serious value. The fans of other teams would not be okay with seeing their 4 top prospects go for Mauer and all his salary. Twins fans would not be okay with seeing Mauer go. That is why there is no chance of it happening. But Terry Ryan says he's listening. It depends how much of a rebuild this turns out to be. No Red Sox fan would even consider the names listed above. Would you settle for something less? Say Buchholz, Iglecias, Saltalamacchia, and a solid pitching prospect that is not as highly regarded as Barnes... for example Drake Britton.

With a return from Texas like Profar, Perez, and one or two lower tier prospects you would have to think about it.
    What about Nunez and some nice pitching from the Yankees like Banuelos/Nova or Phelps/and a solid prospect?

Would the Twins become a better team by virtue of getting four potential major leaguers back and freeing up money to use elsewhere?

I am not sure the scenarios are so wide open because the other team would have to really want Mauer and give up a lot in order for Terry Ryan to even consider it. Then Mauer would have to approve. Big market team that can afford him, has a need at catcher, will be in the playoff picture next season, and has value the Twins desire = pitching, shortstop.

Senior Member MVP
    Texas and Boston have the money and prospects, but I don't see it happening.

I'd want a SS, C, pitcher. I would also only want it done if they spent the money on two-three legit players (combined with the other money they have).
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gkasper View Post
    I am not sure the scenarios are so wide open because the other team would have to really want Mauer and give up a lot in order for Terry Ryan to even consider it. Then Mauer would have to approve. Big market team that can afford him, has a need at catcher, will be in the playoff picture next season, and has value the Twins desire = pitching, shortstop.
    lol... Kasper... You started this thread... You threw the doors open.

If you want realism... Trading Mauer will be about the hardest thing you could do in my opinion.

If the Red Sox would pick up the entire contract. I'm sure they would...

But that contract would have to be figured into the return and the haul of players back would lessen considerably because of the money owed. Therefore it makes little sense for the Twins to do it... Because without a significant return fr Joe... You would be just dumping him for the money.

The Twins don't really need the money right now unless you are talking about a total transformation and moving away for Mauer and taking a run at Hamilton and Greinke or trading for someone else's high contract player.

I suppose you could eat some of the contract to get better players but that gets complicated.

Johan Santana on talent alone should have brought a huge haul of players in trade value. The fact that the trading team would have also had to pony up 20 plus million a year for Multiple years lessened the return.

Maybe if you clarified the direction you are heading... I could play along better.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no way to replace Mauer. The Twins have no catchers in the system that look like major league starters.

If they want to deal him, they should pick up significant salary to get better prospects in return. They have to be blown away with three very good prospects. They absolutely need to get a very good catching prospect and starting pitching prospect. Optimally, the third guy is a shortstop. I don't know if Boston or anyone can offer that return.

They will also need to find or sign a starting catcher for 2013.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 163 Times in 94 Posts
    I am not a great prospect mind, but there is one major thing you can accomplish by trading Mauer... A complete transformation of our rotation.

Using the Arizona example above...

Worley
    Kennedy
    Grienke (signed with the Mauer money)
    Diamond

future - Gibson, Meyer, May, Bauer, Appel (draft)
    Seeing that makes me think you go for a high end infield prospect rather than a pitching prospect like Bauer.

Lets play ball

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    This post just make me mad. Without out Joe the Twins would have no payroll left. I would never watch another game.

From Texas I would want either Profar or Andrus with Perez and their top catching prospect Alfaro. Only way I'd ever consider trading Mauer because it fills all our needs right now.

Senior Member MVP
    I would seriously consider Profar straight up. If I could get Olt and Profar, I would probably do that, again, only if they committed to spending the freed up money on legit players.

Because yes, you now stink at catcher, but if Profar is what many say he'll be, you now dominate at SS. It is probably easier to buy an average or good catcher in FA, than it is a SS.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Red Sox are the only team I would consider and that's because of Mauer-in-Fenway.

Bogaerts, Webster, and Cecchini.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Texas and Boston have the money and prospects, but I don't see it happening.

I'd want a SS, C, pitcher. I would also only want it done if they spent the money on two-three legit players (combined with the other money they have).
    Agreed,if we got Profar and a pitcher from texas, or Xander Bogaerts and A pitcher from boston, then used the money to sign Hamilton and Sanchez,along with a catcher ,say Byanan Pena wouldnt we be farther ahead in the game?
    even though i am on record as saying joe mauer is a top 5 all time greatest catcher.....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I want to pay the all but 3 million dollars to Texas, in return, I want Profar or Andrus, Perez who is a stud who pitcher who is left handed and start for us day 1, and the Jorge Alfaro kid (catcher in low minors). This would be a hull of epic proportions. If we could pull that off, let Butera catch and wait for that Afaro kid to get the majors. If everyone sticks at positions they are at in the minors, we are talking about the best offensive infield in the league. Profar at short, Rosario at 2nd, Sano and Harrison at 1st and 3rd. Possibly an outfield of Hicks, Arcia, and Buxton, and a pitching staff of Meyers, May, Gibson, Berrios, Diamond/Perez/Wimmers/'13 number 4 overall pick

Profar SS
    Rosario 2nd
    Sano 3rd/1st
    Harisson 1st/3rd
    Alfaro (2015/2016) C
    Byxton CF
    Hicks LF
    Arcia RF
    Punto DH?

Rotation:

Meyers
    Gibson
    Perez
    Berrios
    Diamond

Bullpen:
    JT Chargios
    Mays (Closer potential)

If everyone reaches their full potential, which I know is absurd, this is a World Series lineup. We might be talking about trading Hicks to a team in need of a CF in another 4-5 years for whatever position needed (you can never have too much pitching I believe is the cliche)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    That minor league hype gets you no place but a laugh.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give me Buster Posey straight up from the Giants and it's a deal.

You need to get a catcher back? If the trading team has a decent catcher now or in the wings, why add Mauer (you'd be in the same baot as the Twins). Yes, Mauer is a catcher, but what maks him suddenly more appealing as tradebait is that his potential s NOT to catch as his contract wears on and as a 1B/DH whatever, he is not as valuable a a hitter behind the plate.

You'd want to get a pitcher. Like Lester or someone...who you have the potential to extend at a rate significantly lower than you are paying Mauer or anyone else on the team. You'd want a high end prospect that may still not pan out. You'd like another bat from the next couple of prospects or would be back-of-the-order rotation fodder or a replacement quality infielder/outfielder. If you'd look at what was bandied about for Johann abck when: Yaknees - Hughes, Caberra, Kennedy, two prospects or Rd Sox - Lester, Crisp, Lowie, Masterson, Bowden. I would go for that type of quality.

You'd free up money for the future.

You still have to pay the present.

You still need a catcher (bring back A.J. for $7 million a year for a couple of years...he catches 120 games at least -- wouldn't that be s-t-r-a-n-g-e.

Mauer did sign with the Twins long-term because he was the hometown boy and he wanted to win with the team. Dos he still see that happening in the lifetime of his contract? Does he want to be the Mattingly of Minnesota. Or does he want to go somewhere where winning is the usual name of the game -- Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Texas, Los Angeles. Yes, there is no guarantee (see Red Sox). But if push came to shove, I'm sure Mauer would move on if he was given more of a choice. He already has the money, so it isn't like a team ahs to make im happy $$$-wise, just prepared to cover the bill as Mauer ages.

Again, I like Joe. But I don't think us fans or management expected him to be a guy who only catches 81 games a year like he is doing now. $23 million is a lot to spend for that. And, ultimately, he will thrive best when he is surrounded by players who give him pitches to hit. What happens next year if Benson and Carroll are 1-2. What if Willingham or Morneau are gone and you have Parmelee and Plouffe or Doumit behind you. Great OBP with walks. More pitches where the pitcher will force you swing at bad ones.

Trade him!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast