Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

View Poll Results: Which young pitcher starts the most games for the Twins in the next five years?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Myer

1 2.70%
  • Vance Worley

7 18.92%
  • Scott Diamond

15 40.54%
  • Kyle Gibson

14 37.84%
  • Trevor May

0 0%

Thread: 5 Young Pitchers

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries

5 Young Pitchers

Here are five young Twins pitchers. Which one will start the most games or the Twins in the next five years. Why do you think your guy will start the most games?

Blog Entries
    I voted for Diamond. I guess the reason is that he will be in the rotation starting this year and he has no health issues that I am aware of at this time. I am optimistic about all of these young guys. Diamond would be the senior member in five years.

I voted for Kyle Gibson because I think he joins the rotation this year and sticks. He has the talent to stay there, as long as he doesn't get hurt.

I've got a bad feeling that Diamond will regress at some point, and I think if he and Worley do well, Ryan will sell high on them.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I voted for Diamond, because it seems to me that he earned it with his performance this year.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Gibson for me. Of the high upside guys he seems to be the closest to breaking through. I think a lot of the love for Diamond is going to disappear this year. He just isn't a top of the rotation starter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who said Diamond was a top of the rotation starter? He's the top of the TWINS rotation at this point by default, but let's not get delusional. I don't think anybody thinks he's more than a #3, nor does Ryan. He was very consistent last year and may regress some, but no reason to think he can't make all his starts next year. I doubt Gibson is in the rotation to start. The Twins are most likely going to limit his innings this year so I don't see how he makes more starts than Diamond. I can see Worley maybe, but the elbow surgery may hamper him some early in the season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Here are five young Twins pitchers. Which one will start the most games or the Twins in the next five years. Why do you think your guy will start the most games?
    That's pretty hard. I went with Worley because he is a year younger than Diamond and five years pushes these guys to 30+, and because Gibson is going to get a late start this year. If Gibson were Ok-ed for 175+ innings this year, I would have voted for him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I went Gibson. Diamond and Worley will have head starts, but they also hit arbitration sooner....and the other two won't get any starts this year, I don't think.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    I voted for Diamond not because I think is the best of the five, but because I think he is the least likely of the five to get injured.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Who said Diamond was a top of the rotation starter? He's the top of the TWINS rotation at this point by default, but let's not get delusional. I don't think anybody thinks he's more than a #3, nor does Ryan. He was very consistent last year and may regress some, but no reason to think he can't make all his starts next year. I doubt Gibson is in the rotation to start. The Twins are most likely going to limit his innings this year so I don't see how he makes more starts than Diamond. I can see Worley maybe, but the elbow surgery may hamper him some early in the season.
    Well it's pretty well implies if you think he's the guy to start the most of all the Twins young pitchers over the next 5 years. My comment was more to the general amount of praise Diamond is receiving. He has a decent season, but we've seen that from multiple other guys with the same sort of talent over the past few years and generally they don't repeat. Maybe I should put it this way...If Diamond is the one of these guys with the most starts over the next 5 years most of us are going to be very disappointed in the Twins performance over that period of time.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That's pretty hard. I went with Worley because he is a year younger than Diamond and five years pushes these guys to 30+, and because Gibson is going to get a late start this year. If Gibson were Ok-ed for 175+ innings this year, I would have voted for him.
    Pretty much the reason I went with Worley too. Gibson won't break camp with the Twins (and shouldn't if they're going to limit his innings), and Diamond is due for some regression. Don't get me wrong, I have very high hopes for Gibson, and I'm a huge Diamond supporter, but life doesn't cooperate sometimes.

Also, I feel like the two prospects, Meyer and May, even if they pan out, won't have enough innings to overcome Worley or Diamond in the next five years. Or likely even Gibson, for that matter.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Gibson followed closely by Diamond is my thoughts.

I'm going with Worley edging Diamond because while they each get the advantage of a uncontested roster spot I think Worley is a lot more talented.

I'm a fan of Diamond, but I think we see a regression to the mean and he plays out like a true low end 3, high end 4.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I voted for Diamond. I guess the reason is that he will be in the rotation starting this year and he has no health issues that I am aware of at this time. I am optimistic about all of these young guys. Diamond would be the senior member in five years.
    I voted for Diamond and like Stringer, it has to do with injury concerns. I don't consider Diamond an elite pitcher (1 or 2). But I see him as a poor mans maddox. Watching him pitch for a year and listening to a number of interviews, he seems like the kind of guy that will take care of himself and pitch for 10 plus years with few if any injuries.

I would expect him to settle into the .500 type pitcher, that will eat up 200 innings per year and then just keep coming back year after year. Hopefully he is our 1 or 2 this year and over the next 5 years he will drop a spot a year until he is battling for a rotation spot.

Blog Entries
    Remember a few years ago when we thought Baker, Liriano, Slowey and Bonser would anchor the Twins staff for years? Things change. If all five of the young pitchers come close to their ceilings, that could be a pretty good rotation. In looking at my original post, the factors would include when they reach the Twins, their durability, whether they remain with the club. I would imagine that a #3 starter wouldn't have too many fewer starts than a #1 (maybe one or two per year), so since Diamond is a lock to start this season, he (and Worley) will have a leg up despite their lack of "aceness".