Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about skipping AAA (for the Twins)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries

Question about skipping AAA (for the Twins)

Does anyone have easy access to a list of players that the Twins have promoted straight from AA? I believe Hicks will be the newest addition to that list (I will explain more in a later thread or blog post). I know Mauer spent a tiny amount of time in 2004 . . .

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Without looking, I believe Mauer's 2004 AAA stint was injury rehab. I don't think he played in AAA before playing in the majors.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No list, but take a look at the 1982 Twins.

I believe Hrbek, Eisenreich and Wynegar jumped from A ball.

Gaetti, Havens, Castino, Laudner and Johnson from AA.

Brunansky and Viola had a small stint in AAA. Viola was drafted the year before. Redfern was on the team and he may have went from the draft to the big leagues.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In addition:

Roger Erickson
    Knoblauch
    Radke
    Milton (AA with Yankees, straight to majors next year)
    Guzman
    Mientkiewicz
    Becker 3 games in majors at 21 before AAA, played 107 G at AAA next two seasons as well as with Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forgot:

Scott Erickson
    Puck played 21 G at AAA in '84 before being called up, skipped AA

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    No list, but take a look at the 1982 Twins.

I believe Hrbek, Eisenreich and Wynegar jumped from A ball.

Gaetti, Havens, Castino, Laudner and Johnson from AA.

Brunansky and Viola had a small stint in AAA. Viola was drafted the year before. Redfern was on the team and he may have went from the draft to the big leagues.
    Add to that list - Santana played 1 season at AAA after 2 seasons with the Twins in the majors; Radke never played above AA; Knoblauch never played above AA; same with Guzman and Mauer had a 5 game rehab stint only at AAA.

Edit: Sorry I was typing when Physics Guy was posting.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, everyone. Some takeaways: it has happened enough to not make it so terribly out of character for the Twins to do again, and some of those cases are pretty hilarious! Guzman!?

Given that Hicks isn't going to have to worry much about defensive adjustments, I think he is the guy with the job to lose in ST.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In just the last few years, Ben Revere, Joe Benson and Chris Parmelee all debuted in the big leagues with no AAA time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    I believe both Mijares and Neshek were called up straight from AA. Same with Burnett. I think all three were later sent back to AAA but originally skipped it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Some takeaways: it has happened enough to not make it so terribly out of character for the Twins to do again, and some of those cases are pretty hilarious! Guzman!?

Given that Hicks isn't going to have to worry much about defensive adjustments, I think he is the guy with the job to lose in ST.
    Yeah, I think he probably gets it in April but I wouldn't be shocked if he does poorly and was sent to AAA.

Blog Entries
    Let me clarify, I do mean skipping in terms of starting in April the following season or at some point in the season besides September. September call-ups are a different animal than what would occur in Hicks' case.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 59 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe it will be Hicks too simply because his defense is solid. The Twins have Benson to fall back on if he struggles. Now that I think about it, Benson or Arcia will probably start in RF too. Don't see any reason to let Maestro start the season, we know he's a 4th OF and that should be his role on this team for the next few years.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 745 Times in 461 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neshek was not promoted straight up from AA.. He was one of the ones that they let sit in the minors too long.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think they sign someone like Nyler Morgan to compete in spring training for a job. If Hicks is their equal or less compared to Benson, Mastroianni, and Morgan then he goes to AAA. Hicks will need to be better than everyone as all things being equal he goes to the minors.

I think CF and 4th OF will go to Morgan and Mastroianni initially Benson could sneak in there too.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Unless HIcks is head and shoulders better then Benson there really isn't a point of Hicks over Benson. Its not like he lit up AA in the first place, and second you have the service time issue. If Benson is healthy I let him run with it through April and then re-evaluate the situation. The club will need to have a 4th outfielder who can play center anyways and I get the impression they don't want to put a place holder out there, so I look at it as Benson or Hicks, as Mastro will either be the starting CF or 4th OF. If its Hicks though I think he has to play everyday, and I just look at his AA numbers and everything else and I just think AAA would do him some major help.

I do wish though they would have called up Hicks last September because of this situation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hicks posted an OPS of .844 in AA...
    Hunter's was below .800

Hicks posted a .829 OPS in A ball
    Hunter's was below .800.

Hicks minor league slash line: .271/.379/..421 (makes a .800 OPS)
    Hunter's was: .270/.334/.417 (OPS .751)
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-09-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hicks posted an OBP of .844 in AA...
    Hunter's was below .800

Hunter's was below .800.

Exactly, and Hicks has certain skills like plate discipline that helps out quite a bit. We are talking about a BB/K ratio for Hunter of 2/5 and for Hicks 3/4 in the minors. That means something for a team needing help at the top of the lineup.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hicks posted an OPS of .844 in AA...
    Hunter's was below .800

Hunter's was below .800.

Awesome. Guy has the talent to be a perennial all-star. All the more reason to leave him in the minors until we get an extra year of control.

Sorry, that's the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think they sign someone like Nyler Morgan to compete in spring training for a job. If Hicks is their equal or less compared to Benson, Mastroianni, and Morgan then he goes to AAA. Hicks will need to be better than everyone as all things being equal he goes to the minors.

I think CF and 4th OF will go to Morgan and Mastroianni initially Benson could sneak in there too.

Oh please no.....

Nyjer Morgan is a friggin' D-bag.....there is a reason he has been on like 19 different squad's in the past few years

Million dollar talent with a ten cent head.

Don't waste money on a guy like that, just let the young bucks come up and play.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the comparison to Hunter, but I remember how bad Hunter struggled his first year. Actually watched him live 1 year where he was called up in August I think and remember him having a .192 (or something like that) batting average and many of the people at the game thought he was a bust and wouldn't amount to nothing.

I'm dead against getting a placeholder though. There is too many outfielders with high upside in the system to have to put up with a guy with a major league contract who isn't any better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast