Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dempster Turns Down 2-Year Offer; Would You Go To 3?

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts

Dempster Turns Down 2-Year Offer; Would You Go To 3?

Ryan Dempster has turned down a 2 year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox that would have paid him $12.5 million per year, according to ESPN: http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...ox-source-says

According to the story, he fielded an even larger 2 year, $26 million offer from the Royals but turned that down too. Apparently he is really pushing hard for that third year. Maybe he thinks this will be his last contract?

So, TwinsDaily, would you give him three years? Would you go to, say, 3 and $30 million? 3 and $33 million? Or if the years are the issue, would you take a pass?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    no.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, I'd rather go four years on Jackson or another younger pitcher.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to see our big fish FA Pitching Signing to be at least 3 years. I'd prefer someone younger for the big fish (if we actaully get a big fish type guy)...

I'd like to see someone good with at least a 3 year contract so he will be with the club in 2015.

If Terry Ryan felt that Dempster's arm would still be operational in 2015 and if he felt he was the Big Fish Guy... OK with me... But I think Sanchez, Jackson, and Marcum would be better choices for at least 3 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't sign him to two years. No multiyear contracts to decline phase players.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    The fact that 2 teams only offered him 2 years and he turned them down should give you your answer.........which should be no.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    How about better, younger players....not three on Dempster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Agreed. 3 yrs for Jackson, 4 for Sanchez - which won't happen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers are nearing a six-year, $145 million contract with free agent right-hander Zack Greinke.

The Dodgers have long been considered the favorite in the Greinke sweepstakes, but this is the first progress we've heard toward an actual signed agreement. There's still work to be done, but it sounds like there could be an official announcement at some point Saturday night. The Dodgers were known to be bidding against the Rangers. Anaheim bowed out of the hunt earlier this week.
    Related: Dodgers, Rangers

Source: Dylan Hernandez on Twitter GET ON IT RYAN

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Agreed. 3 yrs for Jackson, 4 for Sanchez - which won't happen.
    Sanchez will get at least five years. I think you might be able to get Jackson for four, though. And maybe Marcum for three. I'd rather have any if them than Dempster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Rangers remain interested in trading for Justin Upton, despite missing out on signing Zack Greinke.

With Greinke likely headed to the Dodgers, it appears that acquiring Upton has become general manager Jon Daniels' top priority. It's also plausible that if the Rangers decide to stand pat on their rotation, they could afford to trade for Upton and still re-sign Josh Hamilton.
    Related: Rangers

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    No on Dempster, that 3rd year will turn out to be a mistake for anyone making the deal. If we give someone a longer term deal, lets make sure he is young enough to still perform in the last years of the contract.

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Dempster prefers pitching in the National League and with a team that hold spring training in Arizona.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sanchez will get at least five years. I think you might be able to get Jackson for four, though. And maybe Marcum for three. I'd rather have any if them than Dempster.
    Sanchez is also the safest bet in my opinion. I'd give him a 5 year deal to frontline the rotation. If they have 20-25M to sign someone, I'd rather they go out and get him than sign a couple of lesser guys to 2/3 year 8-10M/yr deals...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I'm really not a fan of Dempster. Too old and I'm really not a believer in him outside the NL. Instead of dempster I would try to get Lilly for nothing but salary relief. It's only a 1 yr contract so it won't hurt in the future and they aren't going to spend all of the available money this year.

But unless the Twins are serious about going after Sanchez, Jackson or Marcum they have to do something. Right now we are seeing a few teams that didn't really need starters taking starters off of the market. There could easily be nothing left for the Twins.

3/33 - Marcum
    4/44 - Jackson
    5/75 - Sanchez

I think this is what these guys will get and I think you just need to do it. It's great to get good value like Willingham but it doesn't make any sense to save money so you can have a 75M payroll.

Personally I've liked the contracts that Baker and Haren got. I'm certain that Haren wouldn't have signed a 1 yr contract but they could have made a move with the Angels or tried with a 3 yr contract.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    kab, I wonder if those aren't going to be about 10-20% larger than you figured. That's about where I would put them all, probably closer to 20% larger.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    kab, I wonder if those aren't going to be about 10-20% larger than you figured. That's about where I would put them all, probably closer to 20% larger.
    I agree with you, BUT if teams take too long, their prices might drop to 10% higher than this (and by their I mean Sanchez.) I am now thinking that you would have a real shot to get the first two at those prices/years.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Personally, I would love to get Edwin Jackson on a three year deal. I'd be wary handing out any contract longer than that to the guys that are available.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I'd consider a 3rd year on Dempster, but I'd max it out at $32M total value and front load the deal to a certain extent (which is the the correct way to do it for a "decline phase" type player). Especially with the additional room in the budget trading Span created. So Dempster gets $14M in year 1, $11M in year 2, and $7M in year three. I would argue he's actually got pretty good odds of being worth that amount of money in all three years of his deal, and even if he's a little below it would be manageable.

Marcum is another pitcher I'd do 3 years for, and considering his age you can do a more balanced contract and still come out in good shape, but Dempster is the better pitcher right now. If the Twins are serious about competing in 2013, signing a pitcher like Dempster to a 3-year deal at these kinds of numbers is eminently reasonable and doable. Now, the real question is whether Dempster is willing to do this kind of deal and/or come to the Twins, which is are much bigger questions. While I think my proposed numbers are reasonable, he may well think he should get something in the $36-40M range, which is where I think the numbers get too high to make it a good bet.

$7M for a 1-2 WAR pitcher in the final year of his contract as the 5th starter "veteran presence" is ok. $13M for the same guy is not. Keep in mind, last season the Twins did not have a single 2 WAR pitcher on their staff.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    Marcum is another pitcher I'd do 3 years for, and considering his age you can do a more balanced contract and still come out in good shape, but Dempster is the better pitcher right now.
    Are you sure about that?

Marcum: last 3 years: 3.62 ERA. 7.5/2.4 K/BB 1.179 WHIP 30 years old
    Dempster last 3 years: 4.04 ERA 8.4/3.4 K/BB 1.327 WHIP 35 years old

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast