Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LA Dodgers trade partner?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I would trade Perkins for a good young starter/prospect. I would not trade perkins in any part of a Capuano/Harang/Lilly/Gordon trade.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Gordon is a decent SS with potential and lots of speed. He is on the trading block and I like him better than what we currently have. I was just thinking of a proposal. if anyone has other ideas please suggest what you think they are worth to acquire as Campuano helps in the short run and Gordon could be our SS for the next 4-6 years.
    Questionable defense and questionable bat? What's not to dislike?

He just isn't good enough to be throwing a top 100 (almost top 50) prospect at.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why in the world would people suggest the Twins trading prospects for established players... This team lost 90+ games, remember? When that happens, you stock up on prospects, not trade them off.

Reading the Dodger message boards (geez talk about smug), they're wondering about Capuano for Perkins. I'd hate to see that. Would Robertson (from LA area) and Pugh work?

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that besides Mauer... Perkins is about the only guy that would interest them... I also guess that they woud be very interested in Perkins. Within reason of course.

I'd be surprised if Coletti and Ryan haven't spoken on the phone... It seems like a match to me. They got Pitching... We need Pitching... They need a left hander in the pen... They won't be interested in an average LOOGY so Perkins would be a great pick up for them.

Am I crazy here?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I can't WAIT for the Dodgers to crash and burn, they already wasted a ton of money last year to only miss the playoffs, now handing out an absurd contract to Greinke? looool. As far as the scrubs they have at the back end? pass, unless they want to give them away for nothing. (I would go after Billingsley in a heart beat though!

Also FWIW: Magic Johnson is a terrible businessman... how do I know? He originally owned the 5 year old building I currently live in, he went bankrupt within 16 months and it was sold for pennies on the dollars to a new ownere and they turned everything into rentals, now the owners make a real nice profit year over year. Also, his line of Magic Johnson Movie Theaters (like 100+ nation wide) went bankrupt as well recently.
    Antoine Walker is a terrible businessman, Magic's done pretty damn well for himself. He's invested in so many different projects some are bound to fail. I doubt his ventures have filed bankruptcy anywhere near as often as Donald Trump's do. Trump sure seems to know how to turn a profit.

You are not crazy. The Dodgers would love to get Perkins, but if the Twins trade Perkins, I think they would
    prefer for younger talent (as mentioned by kab21). Dodgers now have 8 starters, they may not get full value for their extra starters. Duensing instead of Robertson, or add Butera (Dodgers also looking for back up catchers).

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take Capuano or Harang over Lannan or Myers. I'm guessing they're not going to be expensive...?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't think talking to the Dodgers is a good idea. They don't really have anything I want. Unless they want to take offers for Zach Lee.

Blog Entries
    Capuano and Harang both have backloaded deals... 13 million in salary combined for 2013. Options for 2014. Both sported ERA's under 4 last year. Capuano 3.72 and Harang 3.61. Capuano WHIP respectable 1.22... Harang shaky WHIP 1.40

Capuano's ERA and WHIP match up with Diamond in 2012 but Capuano has nearly double his K's in about 20 more innings of work.
    When you consider the other options out there. I'm not sure why Capuano wouldn't interest a Twins team starved for pitching. He's left handed and doin alright... He had Tommy John and missed 2009 but has been a much better pitcher since.

Age I guess... Would be a concern... He is 34... But he we are talking 1 year and an option for 2014... He did fade some last year but was also lights out the first 2 or 3 months in 2012.

Harang doesn't excite me... Also 34... But he does eat innings. You could do worse at the back of the rotation.

Zach Lee... I don't think the Dodgers would go that way... They are overloaded with starters and the farm is light. Maybe they would but should the Twins add another arm that won't help this year. Wouldn't 2 in the hand be better than 1 in the bush...

We need some starters... Are these guys worse considerations than Myers, Pelfrey, Lannan. Are the salaries out of line? Blanton was considerably worse and got 15 over 2 years.

Could Perkins bring them both to Minnesota. Perkins plus ? Or would the Dodgers have to add something? Would it be Perkins for Capuano straight up?

I believe this could be a decent match. Losing Perkins would be problem but we could find a closer. Valverde? Wilson? K--Rod? Somethng homegrown...

I gotta believe that Perkins would be near the top of their want lists.

Diamond... Worley... Capuano... Gibson... Harang... You'd still have money left.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    What about Perkins and a 15-20 prospect (Angel Mata?) for Capuano and Zach Lee?

Senior Member All-Star
    I really fail to understand why the Twins would be trading a valuable piece like Perkins for two old starters that are almost FA's. The Twins should pick up a guy like them but they shouldn't be trading a valuable piece for them.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I really fail to understand why the Twins would be trading a valuable piece like Perkins for two old starters that are almost FA's. The Twins should pick up a guy like them but they shouldn't be trading a valuable piece for them.
    This. If the Dodgers no longer want Capuano or Harang or want to shed some salary, then they should be willing to do so for nearly nothing. It's not going to take Perkins or anything else of value.
    If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know why anyone would think Capuano is attainable for next to nothing. He's coming off a good, 200 IP season and he's got a very reasonable 2-year deal. That has value in this market. Even if they're looking to shed his contract, they'll find someone who's willing to give up something of value for it. Perkins is ridiculous though.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't seem to me as if the Dodgers are interested in shedding payroll.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure how the players involved would be valued. Perkins is about the only thing we can offer that the Dodgers would really want. And I think they would really want him.

As it stands today the Dodgers have 2 to 3 starters too many. I'm curious to see what Tiwns Daily thinks... What is reasonable in return for Perkins.

Myself.. if Capuano and Harang are possible for Perkins... I'm listening. Capuano alone... I'm not so sure. But I sure would like him on the roster.

Senior Member All-Star
    Are you building for 2013 or the future? Getting a pair of average at best 30+ starters for a valuable trade chip hurts the future? If you are going to trade perkins then go after a nice prospect like zach lee or similar?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,285 Times in 688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Are you building for 2013 or the future? Getting a pair of average at best 30+ starters for a valuable trade chip hurts the future? If you are going to trade perkins then go after a nice prospect like zach lee or similar?
    I get the first question but the second two are confusing the hell out of me. Are they answers posed as questions? You're tricksy. download.jpg
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 12-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Closers/set-up men seem to be more valuable at the trade deadline as that seems to be an area of need for multiple contenders and so often they go down with injury. I'd probably wait to move Perkins unless another Revere-like offer was made.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It doesn't seem to me as if the Dodgers are interested in shedding payroll.
    Bingo! If there's a team that has starting pitching depth that might look to make a deal to save money, it's the Royals... and the price increases (or it should) when trading within the division... so realistically, the Twins are left in the cold here too (twice!).

And honestly, the Twins are looking for stopgap-type guys to bridge the gap to the young'ns... take a fliar on a younger-ish guy coming off a down year (Jurrjens/Lannan) or a guy looking to pitch in a different role (Villanueva or Myers - if you're ok with an older guy), just to see if he could help out in a couple years when the team is looking to compete.

If the Dodgers were looking to give Capuano away, great... but I think they'd be more willing to give TR a couple million just to hang up. (Cause it's obvious "millions" isn't a big deal to them.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast