Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rays/Royals Blockbuster deal SUN

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I wonder if KC knows (or thinks it knows) something about Myers that makes them think he won't be good at the next level? Seems strange to move a guy who has been dominating the minors and someone you've been feeding to your fan base as part of your rebuilding, even for Shields.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with the don't trade with the Rays, they haven't been on the losing end of a trade for a while.

While saying that, I wouldn't mind to have Terry Ryan make a phone call to the Rays about Willingham as they could use a big bat in their lineup. They could send a ready #3 starter and middle infielder and then a lower level B prospect.

At the same time I don't know if this deal is terrible for the Royals, they have to at least look like they are trying one of these years. You can't have the top farm system in baseball every year and expect the fans to think that is successful when you are below .500

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Someone should pass a note to Terry Ryan... The note should say... "Don't trade with the Rays ever".

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.
    Montgomery is no longer a top prospect.
    Orodozzi is no bigger a prospect than what Wade Davis was when he debuted.
    That's the problem with dealing or recieving prospects....dont know how players will turn out. Look at the Johan trade.....Each of the 4 players recieved coulda been percieved as a top prospect.
    Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing
    Don't know if I agree with you about the Johan Trade... but believe me... I agree about prospects not always panning out... But I also disagree about Shields and Davis being sure things as well. So in the end... A trade is a trade...

The thing that leaps to mind is... the Rays have done it again... They pgrabbed a haul from the Cubs for Garza and now the Royals.

I agree... Montgomery has fallen off... He would be our Benson... Still has value in my opinion.

I can see this working out for the Royals... But I can see this really working out for the Rays. Maybe it's a deal that ends up being good for both clubs.
    I was also gonna compare Montgomery to our version of Benson.........there have also been cant miss hitting prospect in Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Domnic Brown, KC's own Mostakas/Hosmer , Dee Gordon etc the past few years. KC has waited 25yrs for a winner & waiting another 5 yrs for Myers/Orodozzi etc woulda been agonizing. They still have OF prospects like Bubba Starling waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I might like it better if my GM hadn't already over-valued Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie. If those guys are your number two and three arms, your rotation isn't very impressive.
    I dont see KC overvalueing either, they did just overpay for them....something we're dying for TRyan to try ONCE. Both have been 200IP solid mid rotation starters often but getting Shields puts them back into their places.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Royals are just a mess out there. Pretty surprised that they would do this.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Great trade for both teams, and there is still a player to be named.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to give credit to KC for going for it, but I can't. They just grossly overpaid for a couple solid arms that will not likely be enough for them to contend for the playoffs. Credit the Rays for another great move, or as Keith Law puts it, "a heist".

Royals everyday lineup is filled with 6-7 young everyday starters who are stil ascending. They were in a situation were they could take the chance. Twins arent in the same situation with their everyday guys to do a similar deal (Sano/Gibson for ex).
    Will Myers is the best spectacular prospect in KC since Mike Mostakas and before that Eric Hosmer and before that Alex Gordon....etc. While all 3 are good to above average.....eventually its worth the shot to add a veteran all star at a position that desparately needed it.
    While trying to go for it....think people forget DET only won the division with 87wins....division is up for the taking

On Tampa's side...when you continually develop or acquire top notch young pitching....you can easily flip them for a nice ransom. Hopefully MN gets deep enough to be able to do that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Shields will be a 20 game winner, The Twins just plain suck, they won't spend the money.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    WOW. More people defending this trade than bashing it. I..don't know what to say. Shields is very good pitcher, but he doesn't turn a mediocre staff into a good one by himself. Even Royals fans hate this trade. Almost universally:
    Royals and Rays OVER THE Brink (Updated) - Royals Review

If you guys want Terry Ryan to do something like this, you'll never be happy. Because Terry Ryan isn't a complete idiot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This trade has been labeled a heist for Tampa Bay and probably is. Kansas City had to become relivant before they start losing the young talent they have developed, and their pitching to put it mildly sucked. It will be interesting to see if Detroit now makes a move. Kansas City at least reconized where they were and took a chance(too big for me). Twins are about 3 years from where KC is now. Terry Ryan is one the right path, you win with pitching, but your club has to be good enough for the pitching to make a difference. Twins have 3 - 4 very good ballplayers to stars, the rest of the onfield team is below average. 2013 will probably not be the best of years, but could lay the foundation for very good teams from 2015 on.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Shields will be a 20 game winner, The Twins just plain suck, they won't spend the money.

A 20-game winner, huh? So even though he's never had more than 16 playing for an annual playoff contender, you think he'll be able to beat that by 4 by going to a team that hasn't been relevant in 20 years?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When you have a trade this big between a team that is known for consistently doing smart things and a team that is known for consistently doing dumb things, and the latter is clearly making the move out of desperation, it's hard not to assume they got fleeced.

It's fascinating to see praise heaped on the Royals for this trade. If Ryan had offered up a package centered around Sano and Gibson for Shields and Davis, I doubt you'd see the same reaction.

I understand what the Royals are trying to do here. They've been the "Team of the Future" for a long time now. With the AL Central as weak as it is, it shouldn't take much to compete. Getting Shields may even put them #2 behind Detroit on paper.

But a move like this only makes sense if you're a James Shields away from being a serious contender to win it all. The Royals were not even close to that.

Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kansas City now has 6 starters available to pitch next season. I wonder if they try Hochevar out of the pen to see how he does there. This trade only works for the Royals if they go out and finish the retooling of their team and just go for it the next 2 years. It will also help if they resign Shields. As far as talent lost vs talent gained they lost that trade but they now have enough starting pitching to be competetive.

What other holes do they have in their team? I haven't looked at their roster in so long.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, this isn't good for the Twins. Truth be told, I prefer the Bruce Chen, Jonathan Sanchez pitcher types Kansas City was using....

The Rays got a helluva deal for a pitcher that's getting a huge, long term contract in two years.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,586 Times in 824 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like this trade for the Twins. The Royals just got a lot worse in the longterm in an attempt to go "all in" while the Twins are in a state of rebuilding.

At some point, the Royals needed to do this but I'm really skeptical that now was the time. The Royals lost 90 games last season. They're not on the cusp of winning, they were a really bad team last year. It seems to me that it would have been more prudent to wait until 2013 played out and see if your minor leaguers improved and became a solid group of hitters. Then you go after the "final pieces" to build a contender. You don't do it when 3/4 of your roster is still a question mark.

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    KC has always been impatient. They keep trading away guys like Beltran and Damon, etc. Shields and Davis are pretty good, this should solidify them for 3rd place for a while, with a shot for 2nd place in the Central. MLB now rates Meyers, Odorizzi, Montgomery and Leonard as TB's #1, #2, #7 and #20 prospects, and the Rays were deep before the trade.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    James Shields & Wade Davis got to KC for Will Myers, Jake Orodozzi & Mike Montgomery.
    Gotta be good to have a GM willing to take a chance & believe in their moves
    Thank God we do not have a GM like that. That is a terrible trade for the Royals. Shields is signed for 2 yrs and is 32 yrs old and Wade Davis is a 4 or 5 guy if you are lucky. You gave up your 2 best prospects for that, what a joke. That is why the Royals are terrible every year and the Rays are one of the best run franchises in baseball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    The Royals just destroyed themselves. An unbelievably bad trade, one of the worst in recent memory. The Royals have one good outfielder, and they trade one of, if not the #1 OF prospect in baseball? Who is almost MLB ready? Myers by himself would be too much for Shields... to also throw in a quality pitching prospect and a couple lesser prospects is comical.

He's clueless in general, but Jim Bowden did point out that Moore's contract ends in 2014, so this move could potentially let Moore keep his job. That's the only real justification for the trade I can imagine. But even so, the Royals aren't very good. Now they have one good starter instead of zero. They still have no CF, RF, or 2B, and aren't quite sure what to expect from 3B, 1B, and C. Adding Shields does make them a solid favorite for 3rd place in the horrific AL Central, but that's it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    LOL and we thought we could have traded Span+garbage for Shields.

Do you use "we" to cover your embarrassment at thinking that thought? I was not replied to kingly when I said no way to that thought.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast