Thread: Valencia's #22?

Valencia's #22?

When did this happen? Not that I'm upset or anything. In fact, I'm kind of glad. My wife got a #22 jersey for free- one of the white throwbacks from the last year in the Metrodome- and hasn't had a player to wear it for. And she likes Danny V, so it works out. I'm just curious if there was any reasoning behind it. Darin Mastroianni is the new #19... that wasn't part of his signing bonus (the right to wear that number) was it?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22 was Valencia's College number
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

So why did he wait? Twins didn't have a 22 since Gomez, and he left before 2010.

Maybe, because of jersey sales. Or perhaps MLB has a rule about changing numbers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Maybe he's superstitious and thinks a new number means a better season.

He was in Spring Training in 2008 and 2009 before he made it to the Twins so they had to assign him a number for spring training. When they have over 60 players in camp at the beginning of spring training they have to give them all numbers and at the time Danny was assigned his number, Carlos Gomez had just gotten here in the Johan Santana trade so he had to get a number as well. I'm guessing that Carlos got his jersey & choice of number before Danny and he chose #22.

I think the strange thing is when they re-use numbers of players that were pretty good for them. Brad Radke wore 22 for quite awhile. What if they induct Radke into the Twins Hall of Fame? I'm not saying they should although I wouldn't have a problem with it. This season they are inducting Camilo Pascual into the Twins HOF and he wore #17. #17 is currently worn by relief pitcher Lester Oliveros so let's say he's on the team in July (14th) when they induct Mr. Pascual. How strange would that feel to be sitting in the dugout wearing the number of the player being inducted into the Twins HOF?

GO TWINS!

Robb
    TwinsTakes.com
    Our Takes, Your Takes, TwinsTakes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsTakes-RD View Post
    How strange would that feel to be sitting in the dugout wearing the number of the player being inducted into the Twins HOF?
    Not very strange... Lots of players wearing Twins' HOF members' numbers. Should the Twins tell Mauer to give up number 7 because Greg Gagne wore it once?
    -----

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And I'm not sure, but I'll bet people wore Blylevin and Killebrew's numbers before they retired them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    [I think the strange thing is when they re-use numbers of players that were pretty good for them. Brad Radke wore 22 for quite awhile. What if they induct Radke into the Twins Hall of Fame? I'm not saying they should although I wouldn't have a problem with it. This season they are inducting Camilo Pascual into the Twins HOF and he wore #17. #17 is currently worn by relief pitcher Lester Oliveros so let's say he's on the team in July (14th) when they induct Mr. Pascual. How strange would that feel to be sitting in the dugout wearing the number of the player being inducted into the Twins HOF?[/QUOTE]

They already inducted Radke into the Twins Hall of Fame.

Would you retire Radke's jersey? I'm probably a bit of an oddball in this regard -- maybe KBro too, haha -- but I'd retire it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Warne View Post
    Would you retire Radke's jersey? I'm probably a bit of an oddball in this regard -- maybe KBro too, haha -- but I'd retire it.
    They waited until the last year to retire Blyleven's jersey... No way Radke's jersey is retired. Kaat's jersey should be retired way before Radke's
    -----

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bert wins as a Twin - 149
    Radke wins as a Twin - 148

Radke's in for sure.
    (While this shouldn't be the case because wins are the worst stat in the world, it's probably going to happen).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_dw View Post
    Bert wins as a Twin - 149
    Radke wins as a Twin - 148

Radke's in for sure.
    (While this shouldn't be the case because wins are the worst stat in the world, it's probably going to happen).
    Radke got into the Twins' HOF in 2009
    so he is in. His jersey will not be retired though..
    and here is another number: 189: Kaat's wins as a Twin (not including the one as a senator). His jersey should be retired before Radke's (and Hrbek's IMHO) but it isn't
    Most of that stuff is political
    -----

I was watching a highlight clip and was also quite surprised. He's still listed as #19 on the MLB roster.

And retire Radke's number?!?! C'mon, for real? I know that the fans here like guys who were loyal to their squad for a long period of time, but it shouldn't be easier to get your number retired by a ballclub than it should to even be CONSIDERED for the Hall of Fame. Hrbek didn't have a prayer of being a Hall of Famer - he was never even a Top 5 first basemen in the AL even in his best years (seriously, look it up), and now every little Twins fan is going to look at that retired number and think he was some legendary player. He was not. He was a very good player playing in an era with a lot of great 1st basemen, and he basically ate his way out of the league because he didn't take care of himself.

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Radke was good during our down years and was vital in the beginning of the last decade. Twins HOF yes, number retired no.
    I bent my wookie...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is interesting that the Twins ignore the Senators' stats completely in their team records. Nothing from the Senators counts in Minnesota or in Washington, yet the Nationals still list Expos stats in their team records. I wonder if this is because there have only been the Nats for less than a decade, and if they'll ever stop counting Expos stats in their team records after they put in 20+ years in Washington.

The only reason Burt got his number retired is because he got into the H.O.F, and because he is on the broadcasts.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mueller View Post
    The only reason Burt got his number retired is because he got into the H.O.F, and because he is on the broadcasts.
    My revised version of this post: "The only reason Burt got his number retired is because he deservedly got into the H.O.F."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_dw View Post
    It is interesting that the Twins ignore the Senators' stats completely in their team records. Nothing from the Senators counts in Minnesota or in Washington, yet the Nationals still list Expos stats in their team records. I wonder if this is because there have only been the Nats for less than a decade, and if they'll ever stop counting Expos stats in their team records after they put in 20+ years in Washington.
    Don't let me start on this, because it is a major pet peeve of mine
    It is not about the records, it is about the history and the HOFers as well. And it was clear that with the move the Twins took their history with them (and the new Senators who then became the Rangers, just the name). Just incredible to have a founding franchise in the AL and ignore that, and the 3 WS appearances including one title. I still think that Walter Johnson should have a statue outside Target Field and the Twins' HOF should expand by about 10-15 people... (no retired numbers, they did not have numbers back then)
    -----