Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Edwin Jackson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Edwin Jackson

There aren't enough Edwin Jackson threads. Reports are that the Padres are in negotiations with him and a three year deal, per MLBTR. Doesn't sound like they are really close to a deal.. but if he gets those years for anything around the 13ish a year he's looking for..let the erupting from everyone commence.

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't fault the team for going 3 @16-17/yr.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last 3 years, Edwin Jackson has been an average pitcher. 100 ERA+
    I wouldn't give him anything more than 7 million a year. Looking at a 3 year deal? Highest I'd go is 3yrs /19 Million Total.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 12-16-2012 at 04:56 PM.

3/19? You're crazy. He said 16-17/year. You're underestimating the value of an "average pitcher".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I've never been that high on Jackson. His numbers don't jump off the page at you and the thing that really sticks out to me is that he has played for 6 teams in the last 5 seasons.

I still remember him as a Tiger and was really shocked when they traded him to the Diamondbacks. I remember wondering why they would trade a young starter with so much talent. He then threw the no hitter in Arizona and I thought again, they will hang onto this guy. There has to be a reason that teams move him after only one season. The talent is there. For me that explains why everyone keeps trading for him, but what is it that causes everyone to be in such a hurry to move him off their roster?

Will Gardy and Rick Anderson be the ones that finally create a home for the guy? I don't have the answer, I've never read anything that says they guy is a bad team mate. Perhaps someone else can shed a little light on his character.

Don't get me wrong. I understand why he has moved each step of the way, it just seems strange that teams wouldn't be more concerned with locking up the guy long term.
    Last edited by minn55441; 12-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Edwin Jackson confuses me because I feel like I'm always hearing somebody talking about how electric his stuff is but it never seems to translate into the elite level of production that should go with that description. Seems like there's too much danger of overpaying in his case.

Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    I wouldn't give him anything more than 7 million a year. Looking at a 3 year deal? Highest I'd go is 3yrs /19 Million Total.
    Good luck signing a quality pitcher with that offer, JR.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    3/19? You're crazy. He said 16-17/year. You're underestimating the value of an "average pitcher".
    I'll spend money on Marcum, not this guy. 16/17 million a year? Let's put an average starting pitcher in the top 10% of player salaries. Yeah, that's not crazy.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're joking, right? The average team spends about $8-9m per win. Edwin Jackson is worth somewhere between 3-4 wins a season but you only want to give him $7m a year?

Good luck signing anyone with that attitude.

I'll spend money on Marcum, not this guy. 16/17 million a year? Let's put an average starting pitcher in the top 10% of player salaries. Yeah, that's not crazy.
    I think 16-17 a year is really steep but its more realistic then your 6 and some change a year low ball.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The average team spends about $8-9m per win.
    Eh? Where did 8-9 come from?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Eh? Where did 8-9 come from?
    Read it awhile back... Was it a member of the Rays front office that said it? Can't remember.

And that should have read "per win above replacement", not "per win".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports the Twins have signed Mike Pelfrey to a one-year, $4 million contract.

Related: Twins

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitte

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Read it awhile back... Was it a member of the Rays front office that said it? Can't remember.

I'm glad you changed that because I was ready to show you some math. A 100 would then have a payroll of 800-900 million dollars a year. Wins above replacement makes more sense.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts

There was a Toronto guy that threw similar numbers out there, but they don't make any sense when used with the publicly available valuation metrics.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    There was a Toronto guy that threw similar numbers out there, but they don't make any sense when used with the publicly available valuation metrics.
    Don't they, though? I know the number was around $7m for awhile but after this offseason, it wouldn't surprise me at all if that number has risen a fair amount in recent weeks.

Anyway, I'm not arguing the accuracy of the numbers... Just using them to point out that Edwin Jackson is worth a hell of a lot more than $6m and change a year.

Blog Entries
    You're joking, right? The average team spends about $8-9m per win. Edwin Jackson is worth somewhere between 3-4 wins a season but you only want to give him $7m a year?

Since when is a pitcher with a 4.10 ERA worth 10+ million? True I did underball a little bit, but if you haven't realized, I don't want him. Jackson is a #4 on a good team. I wouldn't even call him a 3 as far as performance goes.

Blog Entries

3-4 wins per season? Where do you see that? 2 per year for the last 3 seasons. Just makes no sense to spend that kind of money when the average pitcher can do it for much less. Scott Diamond provides what Jackson can do and at a much, much cheaper price.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 12-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4.10 ERA is better than league average.. He's a number 3 on most teams and the best starter we have on this one...

Since when is a pitcher with a 4.10 ERA worth 10+ million? True I did underball a little bit, but if you haven't realized, I don't want him. Jackson is a #4 on a good team. I wouldn't even call him a 3 as far as performance goes.
    Uh.. a #4 on a good team? I think your perception is a bit skewed here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast