Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baer: Time to Appreciate Mauer

Liked 715 Times in 379 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that Mauer should be appreciated as a great player. I think that he would look a lot better if the Twins were contending.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Mauer is one of the greatest Twins ever. Morneau and Willingham are nice to watch too. Even Plouffe put on a nice little show with Ben. The Twins are not all bad, but even Calvin was better than this front office. Gardy just doesn't have much to work with. Winning make me so happy, but so many bad days is sad.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Thank you ESPN comments, I've learned that WAR is not calculated, merely conjured up out of thin air.
    WAR...what is it good for!

Can we please stop the "Mauer Bashing" already? What does he have to do to get out of the doghouse for crying out loud?

Wait.. never mind. A-rod was getting bashed when he was putting up HOF numbers too.
    Last edited by Fire Dan Gladden; 12-19-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drunksam View Post
    Let me put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Ooh, say more sexy things. I like it.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    Its a shame. Keith Law used to answer to comments in his blogs. He has said that is now a thing of past unless they go back to the old comment format.
    I don't blame them for the switch. Facebook's commenting system is slick. I've used it in the past and it works really well.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    There are several things to consider

1 there are degrees of appreciation. Some almost worship him like an idol, and so not understand why others so not.

2 there is a distinction between feelings for Mauer, and feelings for how the twins choose to constrict the rest of their payroll as a result of his contract.

I read the article when it came out. While it lost me by starting out with a big "WAR" argument, I think even a lot of the "haters" would concede some of the positive merits about Mauer's game. He is a rare talent, and he does have an elite level ability to make contact and get on base, things that reflect well in SABR stats.

But the article felt a bit "off" to me when it came to the "bigger picture" items. Looking forward, I think the writer is missing out on a fact that most Minnesota fans pretty much already know - that Mauer's time as an above-average, full-or-near-full-time catcher has already come to an end. The Twins have realized (and rightly so) that forcing Mauer to squat 130 games behind the plate is not a particularly good idea, even if he could do it. And in the 72 games he did start at catcher this year, let's face it, his defense was not very good. That's going to tend to negate the whole "awesome for a catcher" angle.

But even if the point of the article was just to look back on what Mauer has already done and appreciate, I think most fans here would struggle with that as well. The gigantic contract didn't even START until the 2011 year, and we know what happened there. The Mauer proponents would have you believe that he's an integral part of this team's success (and perhaps even a "quiet leader by example"), yet we've seen this team be absolutely terrible in back to back seasons - one where Mauer was a total non-factor, and one where Mauer was about as good as anyone (apparently) expects Mauer to be. My "expectations" for the Mauer contract were not limited just to Mauer, but were related to hopes that Mauer would be a part of some great postseason moments, be that as a table-setter or a mammoth power machine in the middle of the order. Look at significant postseason moments Buster Posey has been involved in multiple times in a much younger career. The overall failure of the Twins is NOT the sole responsibility of Mauer, but neither can you say that the new contract has done anything to make the team appreciably better. To the contrary, it's hard to imagine them being much worse.
    Last edited by StormJH1; 12-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can we just drop the Mauer contract? There was no way that Mauer wasn't going to get signed. The Pohlads would have been lynched after that stadium deal if Mauer ended up somewhere else... and Mauer, to his credit, was going to take the Twins for every penny they wanted to offer.

I find it amusing that many people in this forum who are down on Mauer are the same ones complaining about the Twins being cheap.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    I read the article when it came out. While it lost me by starting out with a big "WAR" argument, I think even a lot of the "haters" would concede some of the positive merits about Mauer's game. He is a rare talent, and he does have an elite level ability to make contact and get on base, things that reflect well in SABR stats.

But the article felt a bit "off" to me when it came to the "bigger picture" items. Looking forward, I think the writer is missing out on a fact that most Minnesota fans pretty much already know - that Mauer's time as an above-average, full-or-near-full-time catcher has already come to an end. The Twins have realized (and rightly so) that forcing Mauer to squat 130 games behind the plate is not a particularly good idea, even if he could do it. And in the 72 games he did start at catcher this year, let's face it, his defense was not very good. That's going to tend to negate the whole "awesome for a catcher" angle.

But even if the point of the article was just to look back on what Mauer has already done and appreciate, I think most fans here would struggle with that as well. The gigantic contract didn't even START until the 2011 year, and we know what happened there. The Mauer proponents would have you believe that he's an integral part of this team's success (and perhaps even a "quiet leader by example"), yet we've seen this team be absolutely terrible in back to back seasons - one where Mauer was a total non-factor, and one where Mauer was about as good as anyone (apparently) expects Mauer to be. My "expectations" for the Mauer contract were not limited just to Mauer, but were related to hopes that Mauer would be a part of some great postseason moments, be that as a table-setter or a mammoth power machine in the middle of the order. Look at significant postseason moments Buster Posey has been involved in multiple times in a much younger career. The overall failure of the Twins is NOT the sole responsibility of Mauer, but neither can you say that the new contract has done anything to make the team appreciably better. To the contrary, it's hard to imagine them being much worse.
    Is it really news that an elite athlete isn't going to be elite forever? What a lame criticism....

Then of course we get to the "he's played on some bad teams, therefore his talent isn't worthy of appreciation" and the lame criticism about not being elite forever just fades away under the weight of that ridiculous, preposterous argument. I would show the list of players we should "struggle" to appreciate because they've played on some (or many) bad teams, but it's comically long. I'll leave alone that he's played on far more very good teams. Oh, wait...

Liked 715 Times in 379 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would like to see Mauer take shot at playing third base, at least part time. Maybe he could play plus defense there, while preserving his knees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12