Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins still seeking third base help?

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins still seeking third base help?

@OverTheBaggy

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm willing to give Plouffe a chance a 3rd this year. He was still adjusting to the spot last season. Plus if he has a good offensive season again it will help.

And remember, he had the horrid thumb injury. He should be better in the field. He was, after all, the "shortstop" of our future at one time.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I find it odd that the Twins are saying things like they are seeking someone to challenge Plouffe. Before getting injured, his offensive outburst was very impressive and that was WHILE learning third base defensively after being moved around all over the hell the past two seasons and beginning the season in the OF.

Thankfully they didn't sign Hannahan. His offensive value is really sinking.

I'd lke to see them give Plouffe the year at third and concentrate on improving the middle infield defense. Is it possible that hey feel Plouffe is the type that needs direct competition in order to play his best or force hmself to improve?

How was Plouffe a former SS? This season will determine if he's a viable 3B or if he needs to be moved to a corner OF position. The other possibility is to start experimenting with Mauer at the hot corner. I wouldn't put it past Mauer to play a solid 3B which would actually be the best situation for the Twins when he eventually has to move out from behind the plate.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Given their rebuild mode, isn't it more important to play Plouffe, than to replace him with some old guy that cannot hit? Should they not have patience with him, like with other young players? What good is a couple more wins next year, if Plouffe does not get more reps, and you do not know if he is the answer or not?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Given their rebuild mode, isn't it more important to play Plouffe, than to replace him with some old guy that cannot hit? Should they not have patience with him, like with other young players? What good is a couple more wins next year, if Plouffe does not get more reps, and you do not know if he is the answer or not?
    Yeah, there's no sense to bringing in a third baseman to compete with him. They already have defensive subs in Carroll and Escobar.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I only say Inge because i think Trevor deserves a full year to see if his bat and glove will allow him to stay at 3rd,with Brandon as a backup we should not have to carry Butrea

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    How was Plouffe a former SS? This season will determine if he's a viable 3B or if he needs to be moved to a corner OF position. The other possibility is to start experimenting with Mauer at the hot corner. I wouldn't put it past Mauer to play a solid 3B which would actually be the best situation for the Twins when he eventually has to move out from behind the plate.
    Been arguing this for about 7 years now. Mauer would end up doing fine at 3B. You can platoon Mauer with Plouffe at 3B now and finally have a decent PH bat on the bench once in a while. Give Mauer 70 games/year at catcher and you potentially prolong his hitting productivity for the life of the contract.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Is this how the Twins try to help Trevor Ploufee regain his confidence? I would be more worried about 2B, SS, CF, #1 & #2 SP and than 3B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Cubs have agreed to a deal with Carlos Villanueva.

Terms of the deal are not yet known, but, assuming it's not too out of line, it's another sneaky addition to the rotation by the Cubs. Villanueva was shifted back and forth from starter to reliever the last two seasons by the Blue Jays, but he pitched really well out of the rotation in 2012 before a couple late-season blowups inflated his ERA. All told, he put up a 4.16 ERA and 112/46 K/BB ratio over 125 1/3 innings this past season.
    Related: Cubs

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitte

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Been arguing this for about 7 years now. Mauer would end up doing fine at 3B. You can platoon Mauer with Plouffe at 3B now and finally have a decent PH bat on the bench once in a while. Give Mauer 70 games/year at catcher and you potentially prolong his hitting productivity for the life of the contract.
    I agree with you but no one else seems to.

Moving one of the game's best catchers to third base is idiotic.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Osaka View Post
    Moving one of the game's best catchers to third base is idiotic.
    on a permanent basis, yes... but letting him catch 120 games and play another 30-40 at 3rd is not...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Dont you love the mind games played by the mindless?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Dont you love the mind games played by the mindless?
    I don't have to be a psychologist to tell that you're projecting.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    The Twins will never spend the money to bring in real competition for anyone so why do they play this game? Just go get pitching and a backup catcher and middle infield help. Plouffe isn't Mike Schmidt by any means but he's 20 times the player anyone Ryan is willing to sign. Skip Schumaker? jack Hannahan? Lets get serious. That's roster filler not competition.

Lets see

Plouffe is excellent at running through stop signs at third base, throwing high & wide to first on easy grounders and not able to hit in the clutch. Not the type of individual I would want on my team if the goal is to win championships. They got big holes to fill but 3rd base has to be on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernzy View Post
    I'm willing to give Plouffe a chance a 3rd this year. He was still adjusting to the spot last season. Plus if he has a good offensive season again it will help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    ...and the answers is: to place someone who hasn't played 3B, SS, or 2B because they wish to claim that all positions are interchangeable--no experience required. Hmm, if that were the case why nt have Mauer pitch on the one game per week he needs to avoid catcher duty. Hoo Boy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast