Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Arbitration Eligibles

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would definitely give Liriano a three-year, $18 million extension. Sure, it's possible he'll fail to rebound, but it's not a huge commitment and he's the only guy in the organization with real front-line potential. It's a worthwhile gamble, I think.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I would definitely give Liriano a three-year, $18 million extension. Sure, it's possible he'll fail to rebound, but it's not a huge commitment and he's the only guy in the organization with real front-line potential. It's a worthwhile gamble, I think.
    In theory, Liriano is a front-line starter. Unfortunately, mechanically he's a mess and that it leaves him susceptible for reoccurring injuries. The early performance in the Dominican has not reassured anyone that he's ready to turn things around either -- much different than his 2010 appearance in winter ball when he was dominating the lesser competition. Of course, he could make the necessary adjustments in the spring and be back to his 2010 form in time for the start of the season but I get the impression that there are many in the organization who do not think that is going to happen.

I know the Twins - nor the players for that matter - do not like to negotiate contracts during the season but that's what I would do if I were the Twins. Even though the financial commitment is not that great, he's got to show some signs of being able to figure it out before you lock him in for three more seasons.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Glen Perkins signed for $1.55 Million. Francisco Liriano signed for $5.5 Million. Still waiting on Alexi Casilla.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Alexi Casilla's side is asking for $1.75 million. The Twins' number was $1.065 million. Center point is $1.4075 million.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Between all three players, I think we found almost $2M in salary we did not anticipate them having. Could be a reliever right there.