Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: What about Shorstop free agent Aledmis Diaz?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

What about Shorstop free agent Aledmis Diaz?

Dariel Alvarez, Aledmis Diaz officially free agents - MLB Daily Dish

The recent Cuban free agents Chapman and Cespedes have done very well. Alexei Rameriz, a former Cuban shorstop has been decent for the White Sox. The Twins shortsop problem has no end in sight. We have not spent that much on our free agent acquisitions so we have money. The Cuban defectors generally get long term deals. I think so they can negotiate the salaries in the team controlled years. A longer term deal would fit well with the addition of our younger pitchers and outfield prospects.If they have favorable scouting reports I would like to see the Twins make an effort to sign him.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diaz looks like he could be the solution to the Twins' problem at SS, but will the Twins be willing to spend the money? I wonder what Diaz might cost.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    All I want for christmas is Shaun Marcum And I would be happy Just like a kid at christmas time. I know nothin of ss Diaz but I remember
    Calvin Griffith signing alot of Cuban players and he did very well that way, I would be be very nice if we could do that again.
    A very Merry Christmas to all!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A Diaz signing would be great. Not a guaranteed thing, but you never know.

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    All I want for christmas is Shaun Marcum And I would be happy Just like a kid at christmas time. I know nothin of ss Diaz but I remember
    Calvin Griffith signing alot of Cuban players and he did very well that way, I would be be very nice if we could do that again.
    A very Merry Christmas to all!
    I've wanted Marcum for awhile as well. It sucks because I haven't heard the Twins name when it comes to him.

As for Diaz, It's worth the risk. Can't be any worse then Nishioka...
    I bent my wookie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they are from Cuba i think that falls under the cap of 2.9 million that teams can spend on international players. I would be all about the Twins signing one of these SS. There are very few options in this organization there. I am continually and annually surprised that the Twins who love athleticism so much do not have any worthwhile prospects at SS.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins should definitely go after young talent. Some team will pay big. Diaz will probably take the best deal. The Twins can afford to take this risk.

He could turn out to be an absolute bust and they risk getting blasted by the fan base for taking the risk. I hope they take the risk.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The Twins should definitely go after young talent. Some team will pay big. Diaz will probably take the best deal. The Twins can afford to take this risk.

He could turn out to be an absolute bust and they risk getting blasted by the fan base for taking the risk. I hope they take the risk.
    So your saying they should take a risk?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Because both players have played at least three seasons in a Cuban league and are at least 23 years old—Diaz will turn 23 in early January—they will be exempt from the international spending restrictions under the new collective bargaining agreement and free to command a larger contract.
    This is at least one good thing about not signing anyone this offseason. Go nuts on this signing JR.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    Surely there must be a 2-year, $10 million dollar alternative out there that would be just as good.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Yeah, these are the kinds of gambles I want this team spending money on.