Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Adrian Peterson be the best RB of all time?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts

Could Adrian Peterson be the best RB of all time?

Discuss

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Would have to defer to someone who has seen all the greats, but he's better than Barry and Smith who are the two I have seen in my life time. His combination of explosion and power is ridiculous.

Banned Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's the best pure runner I've ever seen.

But I can't call him the best cause he's not a threat to get involved in the passing game.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 818 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, he could be, though this discussion is a bit premature... wait until his career is over.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yes, he could be, though this discussion is a bit premature... wait until his career is over.
    Is it? He is about to break the rushing record....
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 12-17-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With the way that he's been saddled with carrying the team on his back for the entire season, I would have to vote yes (even though one season does not a hall of fame career make).
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 818 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, I kind of wonder what it woudl be like if he got injured in week 14 or 15 as opposed to week 16. Let's not write teh rushing record in the bag just yet. He needs 150/game to do it. The way he's played the last 8 weeks, I'd say it's very likely, but not impossible.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes... Because the players are all better today... Jim Brown didn't have to play against corners that all ran 4.4 or less... Or linebackers under 4.6 and all of them over 250 pounds. Jim Brown would find things a lot tougher today if he was transported into the future as a 25 year old.

No question that AP is the best of all time.

Now comparatively by era... That's an interesting debate... Walter Payton was as good as I've seen... I really hated watching him in a Bears uniform and yet kinda liked watching him at the same time because he was so good. I will say this... AP is having the best season ever.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Would have to defer to someone who has seen all the greats, but he's better than Barry and Smith who are the two I have seen in my life time. His combination of explosion and power is ridiculous.
    Barry and Payton are the gold standard in my lifetime. I don't know if AP is better but he's definitely right there with Sanders, who I personally believe was better than Payton. The sad thing about Sanders was that he played for awful teams his entire career and then retired far too early.

He may be when his career is over but not yet. Walter Payton was a great runner but also a great pass catcher and picked up blitzers better than any other "star" runner that has ever played. Emmit Smith was close. Neither of them had nearly the # of negative runs that AP or Barry had. I would actually put Marcus Allen in third. After that comes Barry and then discuss betweeen AP and the rest. In my opinion AP has work to do to ever get in the top 2 as "all time running back"

If the discussion is strictly about a runner then he is probally in the discussion with Barry, Walter, Eric Dickerson and OJ.

Is Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver of all time? I think that puts this thread into context.

****, Peterson can't hold a torch to a lot of RB's currently because of his early fumblitis and his inability to block/ineffectiveness in the passing game.

It's debatable if he will even be the best running back in tomorrow's game, let alone of all time.

The thread should be, is Adrian Peterson the best pure runner in NFL history?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Is Calvin Johnson the best wide receiver of all time? I think that puts this thread into context.

****, Peterson can't hold a torch to a lot of RB's currently because of his early fumblitis and his inability to block/ineffectiveness in the passing game.

It's debatable if he will even be the best running back in tomorrow's game, let alone of all time.

The thread should be, is Adrian Peterson the best pure runner in NFL history?
    Drunk or temporary insanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Barry and Payton are the gold standard in my lifetime. I don't know if AP is better but he's definitely right there with Sanders, who I personally believe was better than Payton. The sad thing about Sanders was that he played for awful teams his entire career and then retired far too early.
    Yeah, I don't like using career numbers to evaluate. In part because I never thought Emmitt Smith was all that impressive of a back. He was a good back, but he ran behind the most ridiculous line I've ever seen. What I evaluate Sanders on is his ability to dominate a game even when everyone knew he was the most dangerous man on the field. I never remember Barry being as good as AP has been this season and he certainly never had the power AP has.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Drunk or temporary insanity?

Seriously Joe, he's outrushing anyone else by 30% this year. "Can't hold a torch to current RBs"? That's just dumb.

He can't block worth a ****, he used to fumble a ton, and he is almost non existent in the passing game. This is what I meant by not holding a torch to other halfbacks in the league. He is undoubtedly the best runner in the league.

I'm youngish, but in my years, I'd take Ladainian Tomlinson, Marcus Allen, and Marshall Faulk over Peterson. And none of those over Sanders.

He can't block worth a ****, he used to fumble a ton, and he is almost non existent in the passing game. This is what I meant by not holding a torch to other halfbacks in the league. He is undoubtedly the best runner in the league.

I'm youngish, but in my years, I'd take Ladainian Tomlinson, Marcus Allen, and Marshall Faulk over Peterson. And none of those over Sanders.
    He used to fumble? And Arian Foster used to be a backup. You don't think you're being a bit silly? He's not perfect, but he is right there with the best "running backs" I've ever seen.

Joe, First off, Peterson has basically gotten rid of his early fumble problems (6 total fumbles past 3 seasons), and has improved quite a bit in the passing game as well. For whatever reason they decide not to include him in more screens etc which makes no sense to me.

Also as a pass blocker he has improved quite a bit as well, he isn't horrible like you say. And you referring to his fumble problems and passing game problems leads me to believe you haven't watched a Vikings game in any of the past 3 years.

As far as he not even being better then Foster....well that is just on a whole nother level of absurdness we haven't seen since the Itstimetotakeit melt down.

Peterson 6.3 yards per carry.
    Foster 4.0

NTM Foster actually has a better o line and a team with a pretty deadly passing game, Peterson is doing this all against NINE! men in the box.

Also as a pass blocker he has improved quite a bit as well, he isn't horrible like you say. And you referring to his fumble problems and passing game problems leads me to believe you haven't watched a Vikings game in any of the past 3 years.

As far as he not even being better then Foster....well that is just on a whole nother level of absurdness we haven't seen since the Itstimetotakeit melt down.
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.......

Peterson is a bad pass blocker. He is a terrible receiver as well. Correct, he has fixed his fumbling problems.

I'm just saying, you trying to say he is already, the best running back in NFL history, is ridiculous - to which I brought up the point of would you call Calvin Johnson the best receiver in NFL history already???

Peterson is ridiculously good, but his lack of talent in the aforementioned areas, I personally can't say he will be as good as LT or Faulk - the two gold standards in modern day running backs. Ray Rice I think is the most complete package in the NFL right now, and really look forward to seeing what C.J. Spiller and Trent Richardson can do in the upcoming years. Spiller runs like Peterson. Just a beast.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    He "used to fumble a lot", awesome ****ing argument.

JHFC, really?

You should go take a peak at how his fumbles compare to others in history. *hint, Payton fumbled a ****ing **** ton*
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast