Thread: Christmas Morning and what's under the Tree?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Christmas Morning and what's under the Tree?

I was hopping for 3 new starting pitchers, but what did I find?

One starter I'm happy with in Vance Worely, although Santa made me trade in one of my favorite toys in order to get my new pitcher. It really doesn't really seem fair. Another new starter in Kevin Corriea. Not really excited about this one, kind of like wanting a PS3 and getting a Nitendo64 instead. It may allow me to play some video games for a couple of weeks but won't keep interested for another season. Finally Mike Pelfrey, again, it seems that Santa is just replacing a broken toy (Baker), with something maybe a littler newer and shinier, but not something I was going to use as an everyday option anyway.

Granted, I didn't get a lump of coal, but was I really that bad? He must have checked his list and found my name at the very bottom, unlike those kids in the other major league cities.

Is this the age when I find out that there really isn't a Santa Claus and that, mom and dad are just doing the best they can on a limited budget?

Perhaps Santa was just having a little trouble with his reindeer and will show up a little late with some better options.

Merry Christmas to all the Twin's fans.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    You expect a miracle? Check back through the annals of free agency. What top of the rotation starter has ever signed with a mid market team at the bottom of the standings? Offer outrageous sums you say? See Gil Meche.

Jack Morris did in 1991.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TopGunn#22 View Post
    Jack Morris did in 1991.
    22 years ago. Proves my point about how often it occurs. Also note that with Anderson, Erickson and Tapani there was some semblance of a pitching staff with a future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Proves nothin but bein cheap!

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Meyer and May are better Christmas presents than I honestly expected from the offseason. A black coal like Corriea isn't going to muddle my holiday spirits.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 774 Times in 425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Meyer and May are better Christmas presents than I honestly expected from the offseason. A black coal like Corriea isn't going to muddle my holiday spirits.
    It's hard to bitch too much when Denard Span and Ben Revere were turned into Worley, Meyer, and May. I wanted more in free agency but at least the future was solidified via trade.

Liked 293 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the fact that even on Christmas day we are thinking baseball. Merry Christmas fellow die-harders.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Only Correia was a truly horrible signing. Harden and Pelfrey are low risk moves. The 10 million on Correia could have been better spent on ANYTHING including more beer vendors at Target Field. But overall I think the Twins get a C+ this offseason so far. I was expecting the usual F. Not too bad. Like building up the future with decent prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    Only Correia was a truly horrible signing. Harden and Pelfrey are low risk moves. The 10 million on Correia could have been better spent on ANYTHING including more beer vendors at Target Field. But overall I think the Twins get a C+ this offseason so far. I was expecting the usual F. Not too bad. Like building up the future with decent prospects.
    I'm not sure you can logically defend a C+ grade knowing what the needs for this team were going into the off-season combined with where the current payroll numbers sit.

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Grade to me looks more like imcomplete. Many pieces still outstanding and trades will take 2 - 3 years to judge winners and losers. At least the Twins tried some moves instead of doing nothing.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    Christmas morning and what's under the tree, but a lump of coal from JR to me.

(I swear, it was funnier when I was singing it)
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Proves nothin but bein cheap!
    Again, it takes two to make a deal. If you can't see that by following where people sign I guess i will have to accept what you can't observe.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    Harden and Pelfrey are low-risk in that they're not expensive, but they're high-risk in that if they are both hurt (strong possibility) the Twins are left to patch together their rotation with the same cast of characters they trotted out last year.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's hard to bitch too much when Denard Span and Ben Revere were turned into Worley, Meyer, and May. I wanted more in free agency but at least the future was solidified via trade.
    So you would rather have a sore armed #5 starter and a pair of maybes for 2 table setters?

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm hopeing my gift arrives late in the form of Shaun Marcum.
    Even though I've heard we might be done signing free agents, there is always a chance.
    (Yes 0.01% is still a chance!)
    I bent my wookie...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    I'm not sure you can logically defend a C+ grade knowing what the needs for this team were going into the off-season combined with where the current payroll numbers sit.
    wish you were marking my papers in grade school , you are overly generous, my thinking is Ryan earned a D grade ... an established table setter, +defender in center ,for an A ball maybe,then a young exciting speedster for a sore armed #5 and a regressing AA player? then throwing away 15 million on correia and pelfrey...not smart baseball decissions.. just proves Ryan is a small market minded G.M.
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 12-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    wish you were marking my papers in grade school , you are overly generous, my thinking is Ryan earned a D grade ... an established table setter, +defender in center ,for an A ball maybe,then a young exciting speedster for a sore armed #5 and a regressing AA player? then throwing away 15 million on correia and pelfrey...not smart baseball decissions.. just proves Ryan is a small market minded G.M.
    Overly generous? He gets a D at best currently, and that's only because of the prospects acquired. Otherwise his offseason has F all over it.