Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So...uh....does this team actually have a uh....chance?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This team is dead 1st in yards per rushing attempt and dead last in yards per passing attempt. And a substantial portion of its passing yards have come after the catch (see Harvin, Percy). It does not take a genius football mind to spot the weakness in this team.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Does not matter what Ponder does, people will rip him. The team won 7 more games than last year, the QB deserves some credit, lucky or not.
    Should he get credit for his remarkable ability to inspire Peterson to have an all-time season for a RB against consistent 8-man fronts? (The 8-man fronts being due to Ponder's own inability to throw the ball.) Or maybe his ability to throw for the 25th most yards in the league and less than any QB who started the whole season? (And still behind some who missed games.) Which of these turds should we be polishing to the "credit" of the QB?

The team has won in spite of him, and solely to the credit of Peterson being superhuman. Congratulations, Christian Ponder! You weren't terrible enough to offset AP's monster performances!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Love him or hate him, it's a bit late to do anything at this point in the season (unless Joe Webb fits your fancy)
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Because he's proven to lack the arm strength of what most would consider an NFL QB. Maybe its a confidence thing, but I just don't see him ever being able to overcome it.
    That doesn't make any sense. His arm would be stronger if he had more confidence? The underthrown balls I have seen this year have been the result of poor decisions where he couldn't or didn't set his feet. You will not see a quarterback drafted in the first six rounds of the NFL draft who could not physically throw the ball that distance.

Ponder doesn't have Jay Cutler's arm...he also doesn't have Ken Dorsey's. If he is accurate and can conquer the mental part of the game, by miles to two most important aspects of playing quarterback, his arm strength is not an issue. He's certainly far from achieving those two goals, however.

History shows this to be a favorable matchup for AD. The running game should hold up in the elements so offense shouldn't be a problem as long as turnovers are avoided. This style can also chew up the clock and shorten the game which is key against a top offense. The defense needs to come up big with a D-line that is capable of putting pressure on Rodgers to give the secondary a chance. Oh, and please tackle on special teams!

The Pack losing at home with a big-game QB seems unlikely against a merely above average team that has peaked at the right time. The Vikes have beaten their share of odds this year, so just maybe they keep on rolling.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. His arm would be stronger if he had more confidence? The underthrown balls I have seen this year have been the result of poor decisions where he couldn't or didn't set his feet. You will not see a quarterback drafted in the first six rounds of the NFL draft who could not physically throw the ball that distance.

Ponder doesn't have Jay Cutler's arm...he also doesn't have Ken Dorsey's. If he is accurate and can conquer the mental part of the game, by miles to two most important aspects of playing quarterback, his arm strength is not an issue. He's certainly far from achieving those two goals, however.
    Confidence in throwing the ball => better velocity, arc. I'm saying maybe it isn't physical, but mental; which is what you are suggesting. However, you are making an assumption that based on his draft position he has a good arm. I wouldn't make the same assumption. I look at how poorly he's thrown the ball over his entire career. It can't be simply mental, I don't think he has the physical tools for the position. Maybe he will prove me wrong someday, but the dude is a ****ty QB.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Confidence in throwing the ball => better velocity, arc. I'm saying maybe it isn't physical, but mental; which is what you are suggesting. However, you are making an assumption that based on his draft position he has a good arm. I wouldn't make the same assumption. I look at how poorly he's thrown the ball over his entire career. It can't be simply mental, I don't think he has the physical tools for the position. Maybe he will prove me wrong someday, but the dude is a ****ty QB.
    I never said he has a "good" arm. I said he has enough arm to play in the NFL.

MLB teams don't draft pitchers that can't touch 85 MPH on their fastball high in the draft, and NFL teams don't draft quarterbacks who can't throw a ball 50 yards in the air at all.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornhead View Post
    The Pack losing at home with a big-game QB seems unlikely against a merely above average team that has peaked at the right time. The Vikes have beaten their share of odds this year, so just maybe they keep on rolling.
    See: 2004 playoffs.

The thing is: If the Vikings play close to mistake free football and get a little bit of luck on their side they can def win this game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12