Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Ryan bury his head in the sand again?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    wernt they Bill Smith signings?
    The Twins have dozens of professionals in their scouting department. Bill Smith had almost nothing to do with the actual signings.

Perhaps Terry Ryan is not the one with his head buried in the sand, johnny dakota.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    The Twins have dozens of professionals in their scouting department. Bill Smith had almost nothing to do with the actual signings.

Perhaps Terry Ryan is not the one with his head buried in the sand, johnny dakota.
    We actually have no idea what role Bill Smith played, other than we know he was in charge when the Twins made decisions to spend big on a few international FAs, something they did not do before that often. I'm not sure how you can say "nothing to do with the actual signings", unless you have inside information on how decisions were made.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    The Twins have signed a $1.4 mil and $500k guy in the current International period and have tapped most of their international budget. They aren't going cheap.

It would be great for the Twins to sign one of these guys but I really wouldn't count on it. This is one of the few chances teams have to spend unlimited dollars on procuring amateur talent and other teams (with significantly higher revenue streams) will blow the Twins out of the water with their offer.
    Papers...business papers.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This is the one arena where Smith really succeeded and I will be disappointed if Ryan goes back to his cheapskate ways in the international market. The Twins should be there and they should be aggressive. I'm not saying they need to sign either of them because I've never seen them play but the Twins should be strongly considering throwing money at one of these guys.
    If I'm Diaz, I'm looking for a similar contract to what Puig got (7 yr, 42 m). Alvarez is older and not as good. He's probably a 5 yr, 10 m, not quite what the Rangers gave Martin type guy. Purely speculative based on recent signees.

So far I've not seen specific teams listed as leaders, but wouldn't count Dodgers or A's out.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy to sign Diaz, but I understand if they don't sign either. It's high risk, moderate reward. Diaz could just end up being a higher paid Nishioka. Not making a comparison between the two, but both could be flops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12