Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2013

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Page has been updated to reflect today's moves. Removing Hendriks drops payroll by $465K.

More moves anticipated tomorrow...

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Everything has been re-adjusted with Arcia heading back to Rochester. He made a cool $2,677 today. The Red Wings now have 26 guys on their roster, so they'll need to make a move before they activate Arcia (which I assume they'd like to do tomorrow).

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Everything has been re-adjusted with Arcia heading back to Rochester. He made a cool $2,677 today. The Red Wings now have 26 guys on their roster, so they'll need to make a move before they activate Arcia (which I assume they'd like to do tomorrow).
    That comes to approximately $2677 per hit.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Arcia's arrival in Rochester put their roster at 26, so Bruce Pugh was transferred from Rochester to New Britain, who now have to make a move because they have 26 on their roster.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    That comes to approximately $2677 per hit.
    Is that what they call "California math" there Bert?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Is that what they call "California math" there Bert?
    Nope, that's what they call sabermetrics.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Arcia back up. Mastroianni to the D.L.

Berrios coming up Thursday to Cedar Rapids (so I've added him).

Red Wings need to add a player. RockCats need to subtract a player. Kernels will need to subtract a player.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Following Arcia's promotion, Evan Bigley was moved from New Britain to Rochester. Jonathan Goncalves was sent from Fort Myers to New Britain.

By my last count, New Britain (26), Fort Myers (24) and Cedar Rapids (26 when Berrios joins) all have moves to make.

Purely speculation, but it would make sense to move J.D. Williams up to Fort Myers. Cedar Rapids has run into a shortage of arms with the amount of games they've played lately, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them carry an extra arm.

Nate Roberts, when finally healthy, would figure into the equation as well. With the exodus of Goncalves, the 12-0 Miracle are left with two true outfielders: Angel Morales and Lance Ray.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wickens and Pettersen, as well as Andy Leer, have all made 2-3 starts in LF already for the Miracle... Nate Roberts plays into that equation, for sure. Williams is a possibility as he spent last year in Beloit... That would open up a roster spot to get Drew Leachman off the DL. They'd still need to make a move to activate Berrios by tomorrow.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    OH, and as TAune2013 mentioned to me this morning, Mike Kvasnicka could also come off the DL and play some LF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    where do we sit at payroll right now? About 81M?

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Payroll is at $81.23 as the roster sits today. The number will stay in that ballpark, but will be fluid all year. (It is always updated above, in the very top section.)

Seth, another thing to consider would be activating Michael and using the others' versatility even more.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Payroll is at $81.23 as the roster sits today.
    All they need to do is sell a couple BP tickets and it'll be over 100 bucks in no time.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    All they need to do is sell a couple BP tickets and it'll be over 100 bucks in no time.
    i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Miguel Sano no longer has to be added to the 40-man roster after this season. Apparently, if you sign after the minor-league season (but before the Rule 5 draft), you get an extra evaluation year. It's pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Consider... Max Kepler signed in July of 2009. He is not eligible to pay in any games until the following season (has to do with not being 17 before the end of the minor league season). But his "evaluation clock" starts and he'll have to be added to the 40-man roster before the 5th Rule 5 draft he's be exposed to (which is November 2013).

Miguel Sano signed after the conclusion of the minor-league season in 2009 (even though he wasn't eligible to play in it anyway) and because of that, his "evaluation clock" didn't start until the following season. Meaning he doesn't have to be added until November 2014.

It's really another "rule" that puts foreign players at a disadvantage. College players (like Kyle Gibson) typically need to be added at age 25. High school players (like Aaron Hicks) typically need to be added at age 23. International guys (like Oswaldo Arcia) need to be added at age 21. That could either be fixed by giving them an extra evaluation year. Or, like baseball is doing, making it an industry where MLB tries to limit the amount of money spent there. I'd opt for option #1 personally. But maybe having an International Draft could help solve the problem too.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    A few moves to note:

Yesterday, New Britain activated B.J. Hermsen and released Marty Popham.

Today, Fort Myers placed Madison Boer (broken hand) and Ryan O'Rourke on the D.L. Taking Boer's place in the rotation is former Kernel Taylor Rogers. At this point it isn't clear if Rogers will remain on the roster after his start or if he'll be sent back to Cedar Rapids.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who are the players most likely to fill the voids at FM and CR??? Will it be someone from the DL or a promotion?? I am hoping Roberts will be in the mix...thoughts?????

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Nate Hanson and Mark Sobolewski have swapped roster spots.

It sounds like Cedar Rapids is going to sit at 24 until Tomshaw is eligible to come off of the DL. They have a rainout today and, I believe, a day off tomorrow.

No word on what Ft. Myers does. Purely speculative: Luke Bard will head to Fort Myers when ready. They also need an outfielder and J.D. Williams has been good lately. Not sure when Nate Roberts will be ready, but he would be a good option.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks JN. I am interested in Rochesters roster as well. What will it look like when those pitchers start getting healthy? I think there might be more releases

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Josh Burris is heading to Cedar Rapids.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast