Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster & Payroll 2013

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Been a bit since I've updated, but that's due to their not being a lot of action. Lehmann (from AA-AAA) and some guys getting moved across the street in FM is all of the action.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    The latest update reflects both the De Vries move (optioned to AAA) and the signing of Parraz (heading to New Britain on Monday). I would anticipate Parraz getting a lion's share of the RF at-bats.

I believe when Worley is sent down to the minors, he still gets the major league pay (as does Drew Butera) unless they signed an explicit major/minor league contract. Hicks, for esample, would egt less pay in the minors if he was sent down, being a first year guy...as does Arcia. And if theya re on the 40-man roster, I believe they are paid significantly more than msot minor league players....last I remember a few years ago was $50-75 grand for the season, pro-rated according to days in the systeem/

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Butera gets full amount as an arbitration guy, the other guys who are pre-arb simply have their contract renewed (which is almost always a split-contract). Because I don't have the contracts in front of me, I'm just going with whats typical.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    All rosters are updated - including the DSL affiliate, which starts their season this morning.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    You can view the most up-to-date rosters as well as keep up on the Draft signings (1 so far...) here.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    All rosters are updated through this morning's release/promotion/signings.

The minor league rosters also have starters 2-9 listed in order with their bench players (usually) in order by at-bats. (Rochester is more like 2-8, since they don't really have a third OF on their roster.)

Starting rotations are in order in which they pitch.

Bullpens are in order from closer to guy used in lowest-leverage situations. (Bascially, it's my "power" ratings for each bullpen.

Guys at the bottom of any given group are those I'd consider most likely for demotion or release.

(Even the DSL batters have been updated... not touching the pitchers... yet.)

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Updated to include today's minor-league moves and yesterday's International signings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Updated to include today's minor-league moves and yesterday's International signings.
    It's your thing so obviously your call, but I was curious why you'd add international signings since they don't go on the 40 man payroll. Be like adding the draft bonuses for the draft.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    It's your thing so obviously your call, but I was curious why you'd add international signings since they don't go on the 40 man payroll. Be like adding the draft bonuses for the draft.
    The far right column is the signing bonus. The page also includes every single player in the system, so I have to add them. Lots of parts to the page.

And the draft bonuses are included as well.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Couple things: moved the guys to AAA that were demoted. Officially, it doesn't look like anyone has been promoted yet, so that hasn't happened. It makes sense. I'd guess they're all announced sometime Thursday. (Funny thing, having three guys - making league minimum - off your roster for 3 days saves the Twins roughly $25,000 which was just a little less than I made my first YEAR as a teacher. Did I say "funny"? I meant "sad".)

Also, for full-season starting pitchers, I've added the their innings pitched (not for 2013 though), so you can get an idea of when pitchers are reaching the amount of innings they've done in the past.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so... it turns out the way that "signing bonuses" and "buyouts" are paid out versus how they count towards "salary" wasn't represented correctly so I've made some modificiations above.

I was always under the impression that buyouts were a check cut when the team decided to not pick up an option. Not the case. Let's use Glen Perkins as an example.

Perkins signed a deal for 3 years that included a $4.5m club option for the fourth year. If the Twins didn't want to pay him that, they could pay $300,000. If the Twins elect to not pick up the option, though, they wouldn't pay him that $300,000 at that time; instead, they've paid him an additional $100,000 in each of the first three years. If they do pick up that option, they would actually only pay him $4.2m during that fourth season (2016). If Perkins were traded, the "buyout" is still pro-rated over the 3 years and the team that received him would pay that part of his contract too. (I mention that only because Carroll and Burton are in the same situation.)

You can look above to see the breakdown of Perkins, Burton and Carroll's figures.

Another example would be Joe Nathan. The Twins had a $2m buyout for a fifth year, they had paid him an additional $500k over the first four years. They didn't really have a "Do we give him $2m or $12.5m" decision to make. They actually had a "Are we done with him or should we pay him $8.5m next year" decision to make.

Signing bonuses work different. To determine "salary" the bonus is pro-rated over the years, despite it being paid out in one lump sum. So I've increased Morneau's "salary" to $15m, even though he's only being paid $14m this year. Once Morneau's contract is off the books, I'm hoping that the Twins don't give any more signing bonuses to MLB players (but only because it makes it simpler for me).
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 07-24-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    I will update the page shortly, but before I do, here is an explanation of how much money the Twins save by trading Jamey Carroll.

Base salary - $3,750,000. Carroll will have spent all but 49 (of the 183 days) with the Twins. The amount that Kansas City will be responsible is 49/183 of their base, so $1,004,098.

There is also the buyout that needs to be considered.

According to the CBA
    The buyout associated with the first Club or Mutual Option Year shallbe attributed, pro rata, over the guaranteed years of the Contract.
    That essentially means that the Twins were paying Carroll an extra $125,000 over this year. Again, the Royals will be responsible for 49/183 of it or $33,470.

Total - the Twins shaved $1,037,568 off of this year's payroll.

This doesn't include any agreement between the Twins and Royals as I obviously don't know if any were made, but I would imagine this deal becomes a "cash" deal and the "cash" is a very insignificant amount.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    So what's payroll at now?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This deal has no impact on going forward as Carroll was not coming back. Let us focus on what the Twins payroll is for next year so we can start to be competitive.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    This deal has no impact on going forward as Carroll was not coming back. Let us focus on what the Twins payroll is for next year so we can start to be competitive.
    This thread is specifically about the Twins roster and payroll in 2013. It's right in the title.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    $81,459,389 (I'll double-check it after I update everything.)

This will not be a figure that you'll see anywhere else because it includes pro-rations, bonuses, etc.

Should be updated in about 15 minutes.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    The payroll figure as of the activation of Ramirez is $81,426,767. (That figure is slightly different than above... but I don't double-check my math each time a move is made.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    While some may argue the Twins moved Carroll to save themselves more money, I'd argue that the Twins made this move to give valuable playing time to future lineup stalwart Wilkin Rameriz.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins need to look at Florimon, Dozier, Escobar, Beresford, etc.

Carroll gets a shot at a post-season.

Good for him. Thanks Jamie.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast