The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rounding Out the Bullpen

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Bit disappointing that Ryan called this his second highest priority and has done.....um....what exactly?

That isn't to bash Ryan, just a bit strange considering there are and were options.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I never gave much credibility to the notion that there was a great need to address this unit, but he's really failed to back up his rhetoric thus far.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take the unconventional approach and have a 13 man pitching staff. But they will probably start with 12.

Perkins- closer
    burton- setup
    duensing- setup
    fien- middle relief
    pressly- long relief
    burnett- middle relief
    swarzak- long relief

fairly soon after the opener
    roenicke- middle relief

First, nothing about the Twins starts makes me believe that they will be able to throw more than 5-6 innings on a good day. I can't tell you how much I hope I'm wrong about that. The Twins bullpen could be relied on often so it would be best to have another arm out there.

I left harden off the list because I feel that a starter will pull a marquis and he will have to join the rotation (if he is finally healthy). Fien pitched well enough and struck out enough batters that I feel he can contribute right away but with regress a bit. Pressly will get a chance with the club unless he is horrendous, but we will probably end up having to work out a trade later so we can send him to AAA. There is no way the Twins don't keep swarzak and Burnett.

a month in the Twins might have an over-worked pen so I could see them adding another arm. Roenicke seem like he could put together a good camp and make an appearance early in the season.

This is my theory...... It's probably wrong.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Yeah, I never gave much credibility to the notion that there was a great need to address this unit, but he's really failed to back up his rhetoric thus far.
    I'm starting to wonder if Harden/Pressly/Roenicke is what Ryan had in mind. And if the likes of Correia and Pelfrey were exactly what he meant by major changes to the starting rotation. Perhaps the problem is we interpreted the rhetoric the way an average mlb fan should and Ryan's version of that that entails is very, very different.

Just a disconcerting notion I'm starting to buy into these days.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it's three (and it probably is): Casey Fien, Ryan Pressly, and Tyler Robertson. If it's two: I'm afraid Pressly gets sent back.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Burnett is going to be wasting a spot for sure. Hopefully he doesn't have a long leash. Sometimes Ryan, Gardy and co. are too deep into the forest to see the trees, but surely even they know Burnett survived last year on black magic alone.

Hopefully Ryan doesn't need his single SABR employee and his trusty intern to convince him.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On WHAM 1180 tonight, TR was asked about Tim Wood. Ryan expects him to make the team out of ST. Surprising to me anyway.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure why the Twins bothered with Tim Wood and Josh Roenicke. And Burnett has an option year. He was very good a few years ago in the minors and was pushed pretty quickly. Develop him as an actual setup man in Rochester, please. See if he improves, bring him up in September and make him contend in 2014. Meanwhile:

-Ryan Pressly (not to say he is Scott Diamond, but he is young enough and is worth a spot, especially over Swarzak who is older and could be traded for some C level prospect in low-A ball to take a chance on).
    -Casey Fien (he can be a guy on a short leash in the majors in 2013, but if he repeats anything close to 2012 and that 8.2 K rate, keep him)
    -Tyler Robertson (will get better and does throw hard--gave up too many walks but can be very useful against lefties)
    -Anthony Slama (you know the story and what I think about the Twins stupidity regarding him)
    -Brian Duensing
    -Jared Burton
    -Glen Perkins

Doesn't seem all that difficult.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    (And eventually Oliveros, Guerra, Watts, Pugh, Albers can get a chance)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Not sure why the Twins bothered with Tim Wood and Josh Roenicke. And Burnett has an option year. He was very good a few years ago in the minors and was pushed pretty quickly. Develop him as an actual setup man in Rochester, please. See if he improves, bring him up in September and make him contend in 2014. Meanwhile:

-Ryan Pressly (not to say he is Scott Diamond, but he is young enough and is worth a spot, especially over Swarzak who is older and could be traded for some C level prospect in low-A ball to take a chance on).
    -Casey Fien (he can be a guy on a short leash in the majors in 2013, but if he repeats anything close to 2012 and that 8.2 K rate, keep him)
    -Tyler Robertson (will get better and does throw hard--gave up too many walks but can be very useful against lefties)
    -Anthony Slama (you know the story and what I think about the Twins stupidity regarding him)
    -Brian Duensing
    -Jared Burton
    -Glen Perkins

So Harden is a starter in your scenario?

Robertson, I believe has 3 options, there has to be KO-heavy lefty still available who would be more reliable.

Gardy has put Duensing into the SP mix, too (not sure how much sway he has left, or where Ryan comes down on that possibility).

I think Slama could have a 13.4 K/9 and a 0.52 WHIP in ST and they still wouldn't give him a shot.

I liked the somewhat unexpected shot in the arm that Fien provided, kudos to Ryan on that get, hope he builds on 2012 and doesn't fall backwards.

I would love to see lightining strike with Pressly, they eminently need the Twins vision of Swarzak that Swarzak, sadly, will never be.

Don't you think an 8th RP is a possible likelihood with their uncertain SP situation?, their love affair with Burnett and to a lesser degree, Swarzak, almost guarantees that they both are going to be on the opening day roster. (I like your idea about changing Burnett's mindset in Roc., he seems a little lost as to his role.)
    Last edited by jokin; 01-09-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would really like to see Slama brought up. Does anyone know exactly why he has never been given a chance at the ML level?

Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Burnett is a given and Fien is practically a given out the gate and I think the third spot is Harden's as long as he is capable of pitching and wins the competition in spring training. If Harden isnt ready yet or one of the other 2 drops the ball then I think Roeneckie wins out followed by Robertson then Wood, Pressly, and Slama are aat the back if all else fails. Though I would like to see what Slama can do as a majorleaguer.

I think Terry Ryans goal for the bullpen was to make sure there was enough competition for spots as the bullpen was effective but doesnt appear to be strong. Harden has a chance to make a huge statement in the pen and be a huge upgrade.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

-Brian Duensing
    -Jared Burton
    -Glen Perkins

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Swarzak can be traded for anything remotely useful.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Over the years, Ryan and the Twins have picked up some nice cheap bullpen arms through waivers or minor league free agency. Reyes, Brewslow, Guierrier, Burton, Fein, heck even Brian Bass was helpful. Guys that we picked up this year, like Vasquez, Wood and Augenstein can hopefully be like that.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Why is everyone so down on Alex Burnett? I watched him all of last year, and it was only his inconsistency that bothered me. A stellar first half was backed up by a bad second half, but in the end, his stats are pretty good.

Burnett 2012: 71.2 IP; 3.52 ERA; 116 ERA+.

His strikeout numbers have been trending downwards, but so have his walks. I actually think there's room for improvement with Burnett. Am I the only one?

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Swarzak can be traded for anything remotely useful.
    A low A ball C level prospect would in 4 years become an Anthony Swarzak. Not an unreasonable proposal, nor impossible. Swarzak does have a 91-93 MPH fastball

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Pressly has a decent spring Swarzak is toast. The first sign of improvement will be if Swarzak and Burnett do not make the Twins out of spring training.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Why is everyone so down on Alex Burnett? I watched him all of last year, and it was only his inconsistency that bothered me. A stellar first half was backed up by a bad second half, but in the end, his stats are pretty good.

Burnett 2012: 71.2 IP; 3.52 ERA; 116 ERA+.

His strikeout numbers have been trending downwards, but so have his walks. I actually think there's room for improvement with Burnett. Am I the only one?
    Yeah, I've always like Burnett. He gets a ton of grounders and doesn't give up any homers and he ate a lot of innings. He'll be 25 next season. Still cheap and has options, if he struggles. He also seems to have a good mentality on the mound.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    A low A ball C level prospect would in 4 years become an Anthony Swarzak. Not an unreasonable proposal, nor impossible. Swarzak does have a 91-93 MPH fastball
    Why would anybody give up a player of value for him when they could just claim him when he ultimately gets DFA'ed? We can't trade him to ourselves. He has a career K/9 below 5.5. A career ERA of 5.03. ERA+ of 82. Only thing in his favor is that he is young and cheap.

I'll admit that I would expect his stats to improve this year as he gets a little older, but I don't see him having any trade value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast