Thread: Article: Prospects and Prospects: Projecting the 2013 Kernels, Part 5

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Prospects and Prospects: Projecting the 2013 Kernels, Part 5

I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I look for the Kernel's to have a special first year as part of the Twins organization, a team that will be led by a strong starting rotation.

Added to the above, one must ask if Tomshaw or even Wheeler will return to start the year. Fort Myers rotation is overstocked and could force the Twins to hold back a few starters worthy of advancement on opening day.

I see Boyd as being a potential anchor for the rotation. I hear what you are saying about last year at ETon, as I often felt the same. Yet, when his year was over he had the third best ERA in the league. And a 2.95 ERA as a first year pro in a hitters league could indicate an exciting future.

I see several others picked in last year's draft as potential starters for the Kernels, led by D. J. Baxendale. Others could include Melotakis, Bard and Chargois. There also was a special group with the GCL Twins last year. Although unlikely, could one of their top starters jump up to Cedar Rapids? Perhaps Lo, Rosario or Jorge?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Roger...very good post. There are so many younger prospects ready to pitch in low-A, that I am hoping the organization will eventually cut bait with some upper level guys (if promotions are warranted) to make room for the influx coming through E-town and Cedar Rapids right now. I like your candidates for promotion to C.R. (Lo would prob make the best starter at this point, don't you think?)

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    I look for the Kernel's to have a special first year as part of the Twins organization, a team that will be led by a strong starting rotation.

Added to the above, one must ask if Tomshaw or even Wheeler will return to start the year. Fort Myers rotation is overstocked and could force the Twins to hold back a few starters worthy of advancement on opening day.

I see Boyd as being a potential anchor for the rotation. I hear what you are saying about last year at ETon, as I often felt the same. Yet, when his year was over he had the third best ERA in the league. And a 2.95 ERA as a first year pro in a hitters league could indicate an exciting future.

I see several others picked in last year's draft as potential starters for the Kernels, led by D. J. Baxendale. Others could include Melotakis, Bard and Chargois. There also was a special group with the GCL Twins last year. Although unlikely, could one of their top starters jump up to Cedar Rapids? Perhaps Lo, Rosario or Jorge?
    I think Wheeler moves up. Melotakis is a set up man/closer, and will probably start in the Fort after dominating the MWL hitters.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Roger, I really struggled with the pitchers for the exact reason you allude to... there are so many good pitching prospects at the lower levels and only so many rotation spots available with the Miracle and Kernels to go around. I know teams will often have guys work half a year in the rotation and half out of the bullpen to keep innings under control for young arms and that means there are more starts to spread around, but even so, it's tough to make room for all these guys.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Roger, I really struggled with the pitchers for the exact reason you allude to... there are so many good pitching prospects at the lower levels and only so many rotation spots available with the Miracle and Kernels to go around. I know teams will often have guys work half a year in the rotation and half out of the bullpen to keep innings under control for young arms and that means there are more starts to spread around, but even so, it's tough to make room for all these guys.
    Actually, I am a bit envious of you living in Cedar Rapids. As a Twins fan, it is going to be exciting.

When I looked at the GCL Twins staff at the end of the year, I saw the best group of young arms since I have been following the organization these past seven years. Of the ten who pitched more than 25.0 innings, only Chen had an ERA over 2.43. Granted it was only 25+ innings and they are a long way off, but that struck me as special!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Actually, I am a bit envious of you living in Cedar Rapids. As a Twins fan, it is going to be exciting.

When I looked at the GCL Twins staff at the end of the year, I saw the best group of young arms since I have been following the organization these past seven years. Of the ten who pitched more than 25.0 innings, only Chen had an ERA over 2.43. Granted it was only 25+ innings and they are a long way off, but that struck me as special!
    I ranked the best four in my opinion. What do you think?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    I ranked the best four in my opinion. What do you think?
    I really like Lo and Jorge. Another one to like is Gibbons. He was more than solid in his first trip away from home in Australia. Have heard that he also could be special.