Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 34 of 34

Thread: 2015=Bright

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Also, we're apparently going to go buy a legit starting middle infield for $10M a year. I'm sure that'll happen.
    Wait a second. I never said legit. Define legit? Is JJ Hardy legit? Is Luis Rivas legit? I believe the only thing I said is we would have 10 million wrapped up in the two positions.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Wait a second. I never said legit. Define legit? Is JJ Hardy legit? Is Luis Rivas legit? I believe the only thing I said is we would have 10 million wrapped up in the two positions.
    So then the MI won't have been addressed properly? Awesome.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    487
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    FroGdaddy...
    This might not be the best place to tell you....but,
    Your girl is in bed with Rusty Venture.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Triple-A Thegrin's Avatar
    Posts
    379
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    11
    All this speculation excludes Liam Hendriks. Besides the Seattle game he had the game he won and his last start was a quality start. Hendriks is still very young (Born: Feb 10, 1989) and has proved himself in the minors. 2013 is the year he can prove he belongs with the Twins.

  5. #25
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,396
    Like
    420
    Liked 823 Times in 517 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I see no one has any confidence in Benson. I agree that he's the most likely on these lists of guys not to make it, but I wouldn't write him off just yet...

    That said, the 2015 team's biggest needs are up the middle and starting pitching. I don't see a whole lot in the pipeline that looks to be ready to help the 2015 team up the middle. Rosario mabye if he's pushed, and there's an outside chance that Dozier turns out to be a decent player, but hardly a sure thing.

  6. #26
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,765
    Like
    886
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Dreamers become bosses of those that contain their thoughts to practicality.
    A lot of dreamers become welfare-sponges, too.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    A lot of dreamers become welfare-sponges, too.
    Like Frodaddy G's Mom for instance?

  8. #28
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Also, we're apparently going to go buy a legit starting middle infield for $10M a year. I'm sure that'll happen.
    Diaz?

  9. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Like Frodaddy G's Mom for instance?
    A rate of humor success equal to that of your avatar pic at baseball.

  10. #30
    Head Moderator MVP glunn's Avatar
    Posts
    5,081
    Like
    4,536
    Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am hopeful that there are at least a couple of prospects who are not high on anyone's list who will surprise us.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    A rate of humor success equal to that of your avatar pic at baseball.
    Ok, you crossed the line of affendment when you call out Nick Punto. Nick is waiting for an apology as he slides into first.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Winning Teams are about chemistry and not always Saber stats:
    1991 World Series Champs
    Harper - Puckett - Mack - are only .300+ hitters
    Not 1 player had 100 RBIs
    Only 2 players had 20+ HRs
    What they had was great OBP% and Tons of Doubles
    Pitching Staff Comparisons
    Pitcher - SO/9 - H/9
    Morris - 5.9 - 8.2
    Tapani - 5.0 - 8.3
    Erickson - 4.8 - 8.3 WORLD SERIES TEAM
    Anderson - 3.4 - 9.9
    West - 6.6 - 8.3

    Pitcher - SO/9 - H/9

    Diamond - 4.7 - 9.6
    Worley - 7.2 - 10.4
    Pelfrey - 5.9 - 11.0 LAST YEARS PITCHING STATS
    Harden - 9.9 - 9.5
    Correa - 4.7 - 9.3

    NOT KNOWING NAMES WHO WOULD YOU HAVE WANTED?

    Chemistry amongst young players can go a long way.
    Context/era (baseball era) is important. The comparison between these two teams is, frankly, laughable, and I am sorry to put it that way.

    1991 Twins staff ranked (AL): #10 in K/9, #2 in BB/9, #5 in HR/9, and #3rd in BABIP. That's a darn good staff with all that combined. Even with low strike totals, the other peripheral numbers were excellent. We'd be lucky (not to mention stunned) if the staff of next year manages those kinds of combined rankings. Including Harden is a bit of a leap. Chances of him starting at all, much less a full season is a massive leap.

    The 1991 Twins hitters were tops in OBP, 2nd in SLG, 1st in wOBA, #1 in AVG. They were 4th in runs, but were arguably the best hitting team of the season.

    Chemistry, sure, they were absolutely likeable guys, but they were an awesome team statistically as well. These two teams don't compare. They weren't gutting out wins on chemistry.
    Last edited by Alex; 01-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.

  13. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    548
    Like
    0
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Context/era (baseball era) is important. The comparison between these two teams is, frankly, laughable, and I am sorry to put it that way.

    1991 Twins staff ranked (AL): #10 in K/9, #2 in BB/9, #5 in HR/9, and #3rd in BABIP. That's a darn good staff with all that combined. Even with low strike totals, the other peripheral numbers were excellent. We'd be lucky (not to mention stunned) if the staff of next year manages those kinds of combined rankings. Including Harden is a bit of a leap. Chances of him starting at all, much less a full season is a massive leap.

    The 1991 Twins hitters were tops in OBP, 2nd in SLG, 1st in wOBA, #1 in AVG. They were 4th in runs, but were arguably the best hitting team of the season.

    Chemistry, sure, they were absolutely likeable guys, but they were an awesome team statistically as well. These two teams don't compare. They weren't gutting out wins on chemistry.
    I left off the offensive stats on purpose -- You are absolutely right - They were an awesome team offensively. I just want to give this staff a chance to fail. There are some respectable pitchers on this staff if they can remain healthy. I'm in the minority when I say I am anxious in a positive way. I have a feeling that the Twins will be a much better team than 2012 and that these pitchers will surprise. The problem I see when they do surprise is - "Where would we have been had we brought in 2 better pitchers this off season" - Will TR be applauded or disgusted regardless?

  14. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I left off the offensive stats on purpose -- You are absolutely right - They were an awesome team offensively.
    You didn't, though.

    Also, your opener was that winning teams are sometimes about chemistry and saberstats, though. The 1991 crushed the stats, and especially excelled in "saberstats."

    As to your last point, if the team is competitive (near .500) I think most of us will be happy to say we were wrong about the staff itself, but yes, we'll probably point out that we were right in that we should have gone after better pitchers, middle infield, or whatever with the available cash, especially if a guy like Marcum is healthy and has a great year.

    If we're competitive but Correia is the weak link, Ryan will definitely have painted himself into a corner.

    I guess my return question is what if the staff, besides Worley is worse than expected (like if Diamond regresses)? What if the lineup is worse (as unlikely as I think that is)? What then? Will those of you who championed/put faith in Ryan's moves say he made some mistakes or will you, like Phil Mackey, fall back on "The Twins were never going to win a division title anyway" as an excuse for a pathetic offseason (edit: as far as improving the major league club is concerned)?
    Last edited by Alex; 01-30-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.