Thread: Baseball News Source: Twins Top 10 Prospects

Liked 113 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Baseball News Source: Twins Top 10 Prospects

Jeff Louderback of the Baseball News Source gives his Top 10 Twins Prospects. Seems like he has Gibson a little higher than most, and Meyer higher than Hicks. See if you agree with his reasoning...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What is Jeff talking about?? how is Sano projected to "hit for average" as he moves up??? Jeff is regurgitating stuff from two years ago about Sano. Not current info there. Jeff says Parmelee is a "homegrown outfield option" which makes me think he isn't really paying attention. At least he has Kepler in the top-10. Other than the issues listed, I am pretty much "ok" with his list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Completely reasonable top ten and none of his rankings had prospects jumping tiers. 1 and 2 are clearly Sano and Buxton. 3-5 could go any order depending on preferences, same with 6-9. Kepler should be 10.

Twins Top 10 Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Jeff Louderback of the Baseball News Source gives his Top 10 Twins Prospects. Seems like he has Gibson a little higher than most, and Meyer higher than Hicks. See if you agree with his reasoning...
    I always like a good discussion about prospects. John, you are right. I am higher on Gibson than others. I just believe in his upside and fully believe he will completely rebound from Tommy John surgery. As for Meyer over Hicks, only one spot separates them. I believe both are high-ceiling prospects, but I have Meyer a spot higher because he has the potential to be a frontline starter and have a greater impact than Hicks.

Hello! Regarding Sano, he hit .258 last season in low Single-A after hitting for average in his previous stops. What I mean is that he projects to hit for average iin the higher levels of the minors and when he reaches the majors. About Parmelee, I do know he has been shifted to first base and I meant to include first base/outfield option since he can play first base and right field. Kepler is high on some lists and lower on others. I like his upside and believe he is worthy of the No. 10 spot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    I haven't heard sano and "sound defensively" in the same sentence before. I hope he is right and he sure has the arm. Hopefully another full season will help his footwork.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLouderback View Post
    Hello! Regarding Sano, he hit .258 last season in low Single-A after hitting for average in his previous stops. What I mean is that he projects to hit for average iin the higher levels of the minors and when he reaches the majors. About Parmelee, I do know he has been shifted to first base and I meant to include first base/outfield option since he can play first base and right field. Kepler is high on some lists and lower on others. I like his upside and believe he is worthy of the No. 10 spot.
    Thank you Jeff. and I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

But I cannot agree about Sano. I can't see how his average will go up at the higher levels. It should go down, but maybe you will prove right here. He certainly didnt make enough contact last season to be projected as an average hitter moving up. Power = BIG TIME Average = no

As for Parmelee, he hasn't done so hot in the outfield as a minor leaguer. But its tough when you're as big as he is...and he will have to play RF since we have a three first-baseman in MN (Mauer, Morneau, Doumit)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Thank you Jeff. and I apologize for jumping to conclusions.

But I cannot agree about Sano. I can't see how his average will go up at the higher levels. It should go down, but maybe you will prove right here. He certainly didnt make enough contact last season to be projected as an average hitter moving up. Power = BIG TIME Average = no

As for Parmelee, he hasn't done so hot in the outfield as a minor leaguer. But its tough when you're as big as he is...and he will have to play RF since we have a three first-baseman in MN (Mauer, Morneau, Doumit)
    Parmelee only has to handle RF this season (or possible just the 1st half). We've seen that he can handle 1B which will be his primary position when Morneau departs. What he has to prove is that he can be an offensive asset like he showed in the minors and his brief stint in 2011. Hopefully with regular playing time he can do that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Parmelee only has to handle RF this season (or possible just the 1st half). We've seen that he can handle 1B which will be his primary position when Morneau departs. What he has to prove is that he can be an offensive asset like he showed in the minors and his brief stint in 2011. Hopefully with regular playing time he can do that.
    Yes to Parmelee. How about Sano? You think his batting average will increase from low-A to the Major Leagues?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm good with the list. His list is exactly the same as mine with the exception that I have Rosario 7th and Berrios 8th, and he has them the other way. I have Meyer ahead of Hicks too. I think this looks like a good list.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Yes to Parmelee. How about Sano? You think his batting average will increase from low-A to the Major Leagues?
    No one knows, but it's not ridiculous to think that it could IF he is able to strikeout less. If he puts the ball in play 35 more times (110 Ks), he could get 8-12 more hits, which would push him up from .260 to .280. I don't think anyone thinks he'll hit .330 like Cabrera or Mauer, but .280-290 is possible with more contact.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No one knows, but it's not ridiculous to think that it could IF he is able to strikeout less. If he puts the ball in play 35 more times (110 Ks), he could get 8-12 more hits, which would push him up from .260 to .280. I don't think anyone thinks he'll hit .330 like Cabrera or Mauer, but .280-290 is possible with more contact.
    The other factor is that he is 19, and the human brain is not yet fully developed until about 25. So perhaps his 25-35 years he will develop the ability to hit for average.

Back in 1991, I heard Tom Kelly say on TV that a hitter's batting average will go down about 80 points from AAA to the Bigs...interesting stuff if you look at how our prospects fared between AAA and Minnesota last year.
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-21-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Hard to tell. Really hard to tell. Case in point:
    .268/.328/.382: Miguel Cabrera's slash line in A Kane County as an 18 year old. Sano's (albeit a year older than Cabrera) slash line in the same league: .258/.373/.521 Huge advantage Sano and just .10 points advantage in BA for Cabrera. So hitting around .300 or higher is not out of the question for Sano.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Sano is so raw right now that with better pitch recognition he could lower his K rate significantly as he moves up. I would still take the <.280 BA but with Sano pretty much anything is possible. Including .230...

I am also quite high on Gibson. Sometimes I even want to move him above Meyer. He has a good fastball and a great slider so I can understand the #6 placement.

As high as I am about Gibson the rank that stands out to me is Rosario at #8. I know that he projects more as a gap/doubles hitter than a classic slugger but his numbers were really, really good last year in Beloit. And there is at least a 50/50 chance that he sticks at 2B especially since this org has OF'ers at all levels.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Sano is so raw right now that with better pitch recognition he could lower his K rate significantly as he moves up. I would still take the <.280 BA but with Sano pretty much anything is possible. Including .230...

I am also quite high on Gibson. Sometimes I even want to move him above Meyer. He has a good fastball and a great slider so I can understand the #6 placement.

As high as I am about Gibson the rank that stands out to me is Rosario at #8. I know that he projects more as a gap/doubles hitter than a classic slugger but his numbers were really, really good last year in Beloit. And there is at least a 50/50 chance that he sticks at 2B especially since this org has OF'ers at all levels.
    Completely agree. Sano could have Mark Reynolds numbers or he could develop into a miguel cabrera MVP-type. Gibson is repaired and effective, but Meyer easily has more upside. Just think what we could get in trade for Meyer compared to what we'd get for Gibson. I think Eddie is going to surprise this year and move up
    Last edited by mnfanforlife; 01-21-2013 at 07:22 PM.