Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN: Twins Optimal Year Of Contention is 2016

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries

ESPN: Twins Optimal Year Of Contention is 2016

This is "Insider" only, so please be respectful about lifting content, but ESPN writer Jason Martinez thinks the Twins optimal year of contention is 2016. What do you think. Will we need to wait four more seasons?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    Why rush our prospects? Let's shoot for 2020.

But seriously, I will be pretty unhappy with this organization if it takes them 4 years to get back into "contention" in the AL Central.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i could not access the insider article. but 2016 is when Kepler, Buxton, and Berrios should be ready. Along with a whole slew of older prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I still think this is final year of rebuild - 2014 is transition year - 2015 is first year of real contention. This is assuming things go pretty well and a high percentage of prospects perform close to expected. If not it could be much longer.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I still think this is final year of rebuild - 2014 is transition year - 2015 is first year of real contention. This is assuming things go pretty well and a high percentage of prospects perform close to expected. If not it could be much longer.
    true dat

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is sort of what I was trying to hint at in my post today. It's pretty optimistic to believe the Twins are going to build a contender around their current wave of prospects as soon as 2014 or even 2015. As drjim notes, it would require the vast majority of the guys they're counting on to stay healthy and on track (or in many cases ahead of expected schedule), which usually just isn't how it goes.

At this point in 2015, Hicks, Arcia, Meyer, May, Sano and Hendriks will all be 25 or younger – not even into their "prime" years yet.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    This is "Insider" only, so please be respectful about lifting content, but ESPN writer Jason Martinez thinks the Twins optimal year of contention is 2016. What do you think. Will we need to wait four more seasons?
    Im interested in your opinion John, when do you see the Twins contending?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is also the point I was trying to get at in my post on the thread to Nick's article today. I sometimes wonder if our board posters, whom I think are more knowledgeable than the average fan, forget that it's one thing to arrive, another thing to thrive. If we're talking about a core of Hicks, Arcia, Meyer, May, Sano and Hendriks then we're talking 2016. If you want to talk Buxton, Berrios, Kepler, etc. Well, that's the second wave to reinforce the first and the two groups won't be formidable together until 2018/2019.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    2015/2016 is when most of our best prospects should be up...not sure that automatically makes them contenders. 2016 is a bit unrealistic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I think that they will be competitive in 2014 and 2015 as the prospects get their feet wet, but 2016 would be the earliest that the could be truly considered contenders.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    2015/2016 is when most of our best prospects should be up...not sure that automatically makes them contenders. 2016 is a bit unrealistic.
    Our best guys will still be in their early 20's...except for Mauer, of course. Doesn't sound like a Division Champion to me. But a MUCH more interesting product to watch and buy tickets to witness high-end talent

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Our best guys will still be in their early 20's...except for Mauer, of course. Doesn't sound like a Division Champion to me. But a MUCH more interesting product to watch and buy tickets to witness high-end talent
    They'll be fun to watch in 2015/2016...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Perhaps I'm being optimistic but for me:
    2014= 2000 Minnesota Twins
    2015= 2001
    2016= 2002

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    2015= 2001
    2016= 2002
    bloody hope so

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    They'll be fun to watch in 2015/2016...
    Who you got in across the 2016 infield?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    This is all assuming that the Twins, in the next 4 years, will make no trades for major league players and won't sign any helpful free agents. Waiting patiently for the roster to be completely turned over to in-house options that may or may not pan out.

The team's been bad the last two years, but this is the AL Central and there's even another wild card now. Isn't it possible that with a couple key free agent additions, even the 2013 Twins could compete? What if Arcia, Hicks, Hendriks, or Gibson (pick one) takes a big step forward in the next year or two?

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    2015= 2001
    2016= 2002
    Hopefully it is more like the late 80s early 90s
    They actually won in the post-season then.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think 2015 is a realistic goal.....other than that Yes probably 2016.

In 2015 i could strongly see a roster of something like (just some random sims and guesswork)

Brian Roberts -2B
    Aaron Hicks - CF
    Joe Mauer -- C
    Justin Morneau - 1B/DH
    Oswaldo Arcia - LF
    Chris Parmelee - DH/RF
    Trevor Plouffe - 3B
    Eddie Rosaio - 2B/ RF
    Brian Dozier - SS
    -----
    Chris Herrmann
    Danny Santana
    Nathan Roberts
    Eduardo Escobar

With Miguel Sano in AAA (1B) and probably Kepler, Harrison and others in AA. I see Sano taking over 1B at someway mid-point of 2015 and pushing Morneau down to 5th or 6th in the lineup and at DH.

Dyan Bundy (i have twins trading Willingham, Buxton, Hendriks, Wimmers, Beresford and possibly Parmelee to O's at deadline or 2013 off-season for Bundy and Roberts.)
    Kyle Gibson
    Scott Diamond
    Alex Meyer
    BJ Hermsen / Vance Worley

Trevor May ( possible closer)
    Glen Perkins
    Jared Burton
    Brian Duensing
    Matt Hauser
    Zach Jones
    Caleb Theilbar / Tyler Robertson.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. A.B. Walker (OF-A) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11. Max Kepler (OF-A) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, P Ryan Eades.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    I think 2015 is a realistic goal.....other than that Yes probably 2016.

In 2015 i could strongly see a roster of something like (just some random sims and guesswork)

Brian Roberts -2B
    Aaron Hicks - CF
    Joe Mauer -- C
    Justin Morneau - 1B/DH
    Oswaldo Arcia - LF
    Chris Parmelee - DH/RF
    Trevor Plouffe - 3B
    Eddie Rosaio - 2B/ RF
    Brian Dozier - SS
    -----
    Chris Herrmann
    Danny Santana
    Nathan Roberts
    Eduardo Escobar

With Miguel Sano in AAA (1B) and probably Kepler, Harrison and others in AA. I see Sano taking over 1B at someway mid-point of 2015 and pushing Morneau down to 5th or 6th in the lineup and at DH.

Dyan Bundy (i have twins trading Willingham, Buxton, Hendriks, Wimmers, Beresford and possibly Parmelee to O's at deadline or 2013 off-season for Bundy and Roberts.)
    Kyle Gibson
    Scott Diamond
    Alex Meyer
    BJ Hermsen / Vance Worley

Trevor May ( possible closer)
    Glen Perkins
    Jared Burton
    Brian Duensing
    Matt Hauser
    Zach Jones
    Caleb Theilbar / Tyler Robertson.
    Sorry to break it to you, there is no chance Dylan Bundy would get traded for a bunch of so so players and Buxton.
    If the Twins offered Gibson, Buxton,Meyer and Parmalee they would still get turned down.Dylan Bundy is an Ace and you never give up an ace for the package you had.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
    Does that article say (I'm not an insider) what "contention" means?

Contending in the AL central is different from contending for a World Series. I think the Twins are going to be super interesting to watch in 2015 and 2016 what with all the young, developing talent. If they can put it together, the team could be scary good with very little money. A lot of ifs, of course.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast