Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 296

Thread: Marcum To Mets

  1. #121
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    511
    Like
    0
    Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Yeah, it's a "feature" of the board, and a lousy one at that.


    Brock, can we get the all-caps protection disabled?

    All caps is a feature you can turn back on, but first you have to get your Anonymous membership card.

  2. #122
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    108
    Like
    9
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    This seems a little extreme. Outside of Correia he has had an acceptable offseason.

    I have been thinking of this and the only reasonjng I can think of is they felt so burned by innings last year they took the guarantee
    d mediocre innings over upside with increased health risk. I don't agree with the strategy.
    I agree with you. I like every one of Ryan's moves except Correia. There is not one GM that gets every move right. Adding the second year was a bad move even if Correia pitches well. But I think it is time to get over it. He is rebuilding this team.

  3. #123
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    ...People were making insane statements about the medical staff....
    Not sure you're qualified to give that medical diagnosis...

  4. #124
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    I agree with you. I like every one of Ryan's moves except Correia. There is not one GM that gets every move right. Adding the second year was a bad move even if Correia pitches well. But I think it is time to get over it. He is rebuilding this team.
    You covered the single act of Comission, how about all the other acts of Omission?

  5. #125
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,681
    Like
    32
    Liked 748 Times in 417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Not sure you're qualified to give that medical diagnosis...
    Hey, I proofread all my ex-wife's papers through her graduate program in Psychology. That makes me more than qualified to declare someone insane. I'm a keyboard commando when it comes to the DSM IV.

  6. #126
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,916
    Like
    452
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    You covered the single act of Comission, how about all the other acts of Omission?
    Beat me to it

  7. #127
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    You especially do this when they are not blocking any significant young talent.

    .
    ...Uhh, what's the "blockage" problem like, again? I want to be prepared in plenty of time to have something else to "focus my wrath" about besides signing Correia....
    Last edited by jokin; 01-24-2013 at 06:24 PM.

  8. #128
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ...Uhh, what's the "blockage" problem like, again? I want to be prepared in plenty of time to have something else to "focus my wrath" about besides signing Correia....
    Seriously?

    Here is a tally before Pelfrey and Harden. I suspect with Ryan's MLB and MiLB signings the Twins have enough veterans to fill the rotations from MLB to Fort Myers...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  9. #129
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    3,786
    Like
    26
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm honestly to the point where I believe Ryan should be fired if he passed on one year of Marcum for $10m or less. That's dumb. Idiotic. Ridiculous. Unacceptable. It is not smart baseball management however you look at it.

    And in the past 15 years, I've never called for Ryan's head. Not once.
    I might call you to join the club then


    And I really do not mind him passing. This would had been another Correia-like (Marcum is better than Correia, but similarly effective) signing:
    The Twins will be really hard pressed to compete as is. And (in my book) for the Twins to compete, Harden, Pelfrey and Diamond need to be healthy, so does Morneau, Perk needs to adjust to the closer role, Willingham needs to repeat 2012, so does Plouffe, a MIF (or 2) need to have an OPS North of 700, the new CF needs to catch lightning, and everyone needs to be career average or better.

    What is the probability of that happening?

    So, let's say that this team wins 76 as is... (this is +10 from 2012, I know I am generous ) Adding Marcum to the rotation and subtracting (who?) will account for 12-15 wins?

    Severely doubt it.

    Waste of money (as is the $ they are paying Morneau, Willingham, Doumit, Carroll and most veterans right now...)
    Ryan can actually do some trades. Occasionally. I give him that. But as far as signing or re-signing FA Ps, he has been horrid. Batting Butera-like averages. The only FA of worth I remember him sign as far as SP go is Kenny Rogers. The rest were like.... So Correia (and Capps last season) has been more the Ryan Norm than the Exception.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  10. #130
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,115
    Like
    370
    Liked 327 Times in 217 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Seriously?

    ...
    No.

    But feel free to direct your own "wrath" ol'nurse's way.

  11. #131
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    411
    Like
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    29
    I look at the Brewers as a model of the future. They lost Grienke mid season in 2012 and Marcum for a large portion of the season. During that time frame, they were way out of the playoff hunt. They went with their young call up prospects and made a true run for the wildcard. This year they made no attempt to bring in an established frree agent SP and made no attempt to bring back Marcum. They are going into this season with strong beliefs that their young SPers can take them into the post season. Maybe - Just maybe - Our June call up pitchers (Meyer / Mays / Gibson / Hendriks) can bring some immediate hope for the future to this city. If not, maybe we can make some late season trades to assure some other top AAA prospects (SP / Middle Infield) help for the future. Brewer Fans happy with the promise of the future despite being on the shoulders of prospects.

    TR can test the health of the inexpensive vets for the beginning of the season and always go to the young prospects to finish off the 2nd half of season if sh___ hits the fan. If you pay for too many years to FA pitchers you would never pull the plug on them for your young prospects. This way we have nothing to lose. Win Win or Lose Win (prospect experience)

  12. #132
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,681
    Like
    32
    Liked 748 Times in 417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I look at the Brewers as a model of the future. They lost Grienke mid season in 2012 and Marcum for a large portion of the season. During that time frame, they were way out of the playoff hunt. They went with their young call up prospects and made a true run for the wildcard. This year they made no attempt to bring in an established frree agent SP and made no attempt to bring back Marcum. They are going into this season with strong beliefs that their young SPers can take them into the post season. Maybe - Just maybe - Our June call up pitchers (Meyer / Mays / Gibson / Hendriks) can bring some immediate hope for the future to this city. If not, maybe we can make some late season trades to assure some other top AAA prospects (SP / Middle Infield) help for the future. Brewer Fans happy with the promise of the future despite being on the shoulders of prospects.
    1. Brewers fans are not happy. Milwaukee's payroll has dropped from $100m to $80m in just a couple of years.

    2. Despite playing in a market a fraction of the size of the Twins, playing in a stadium several years older than Target Field, and despite being the smallest market in baseball, the Brewers payroll is nearly identical to the Twins.

  13. #133
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    411
    Like
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    29
    Brewers will still average close to 35,000 raging fans per game. Anxious to see if prospects can still meet expectations. Raging Fans who don't wait for prospects to fulfill destiny before they show them their love. I've been to recent Twins games and fans have lost thier spirit in a matter of 2 years.

    So many of the people on this board can not switch their enthusiasm to "Go Twins" mood with true conviction come season time. Die hards believe until the results (W/L) show there is no more hope. Start believing people. Brewer fans were disappointed they lost Fielder in 2012, but understood the market they were in. Brewer management makes a habit of making the big trades when the team shows it has playoff possibilities (C.C. / K Rod), not before. Milwaukee - like Minnesota does not bring in the huge FAs. They have to acquire their Key players via trades. I don't understand why my fellow Twins Fan gets upset over not acquiring Key FAs. You haven't done so in the last 2 decades.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 01-24-2013 at 09:21 PM.

  14. #134
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Brewers will still average close to 35,000 raging fans per game. Anxious to see if prospects can still meet expectations. Raging Fans who don't wait for prospects to fulfill destiny before they show them their love. I've been to recent Twins games and fans have lost thier spirit in a matter of 2 years.

    So many of the people on this board can not switch their enthusiasm to "Go Twins" mood with true conviction come season time. Die hards believe until the results (W/L) show there is no more hope. Start believing people. Brewer fans were disappointed they lost Fielder in 2012, but understood the market they were in. Brewer management makes a habit of making the big trades when the team shows it has playoff possibilities (C.C. / K Rod), not before. Milwaukee - like Minnesota does not bring in the huge FAs. They have to acquire their Key players via trades. I don't understand why my fellow Twins Fan gets upset over not acquiring Key FAs. You haven't done so in the last 2 decades.
    Yeah, they must be REAL fans....

  15. #135
    Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    6,681
    Like
    32
    Liked 748 Times in 417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Die hards believe until the results (W/L) show there is no more hope. Start believing people.
    You continually make statements like this. Are you implying that you're more of a fan because you have an irrational belief in the franchise's powers that be and that grounded skepticism is somehow a bad thing?

    Also, I lived in Milwaukee from mid 2008 to late 2009. I still have several friends there. Nobody is thrilled about the payroll situation going on there (and their payroll is STILL equal to Minnesota's despite MUCH smaller revenue streams). If Milwaukee fans are annoyed, Twins fans should be storming the streets with pitchforks and torches. We're getting screwed by comparison.

  16. #136
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Posts
    536
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You continually make statements like this. Are you implying that you're more of a fan because you have an irrational belief in the franchise's powers that be and that grounded skepticism is somehow a bad thing?
    Yes. Yes, he is.

    Funny side note: My high school calculus teacher's last name was Lightfoot. Far and away one of the smartest people I have ever met. Apparently, the universe has a similarly-named counterpoint to everything.

  17. #137
    Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    2,916
    Like
    452
    Liked 593 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Brewers will still average close to 35,000 raging fans per game. Anxious to see if prospects can still meet expectations. Raging Fans who don't wait for prospects to fulfill destiny before they show them their love. I've been to recent Twins games and fans have lost thier spirit in a matter of 2 years.

    So many of the people on this board can not switch their enthusiasm to "Go Twins" mood with true conviction come season time. Die hards believe until the results (W/L) show there is no more hope. Start believing people. Brewer fans were disappointed they lost Fielder in 2012, but understood the market they were in. Brewer management makes a habit of making the big trades when the team shows it has playoff possibilities (C.C. / K Rod), not before. Milwaukee - like Minnesota does not bring in the huge FAs. They have to acquire their Key players via trades. I don't understand why my fellow Twins Fan gets upset over not acquiring Key FAs. You haven't done so in the last 2 decades.
    Do you honestly think none of us hope the Twins will win? I sure as hell do. I'm just realistic and informed enough to know that is highly unlikely and I'm extremely disappointed our FO did nothing to change that given ample means and opportunity.

    Go ahead and lead the blind faith brigade, if that's what you feel makes you a fan, all power to you. As a fan myself, I wish our FO showed a little bit more appreciation and respect to us and some of the players by making a better effort to put a viable product on the field.

    I hope they win, I just don't believe they will.
    Last edited by twinsnorth49; 01-24-2013 at 11:18 PM.

  18. #138
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    254
    Like
    8
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Webb is the only FA pitcher I am left to hold out hope for.

  19. #139
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    411
    Like
    0
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    29
    I will ask this:
    Would you rather gamble with low cost / potential upside - FA SPers? and use call up prospects in June if all else fails?
    OR
    Spend $10 to 15 million on potential (#3s) over a 2-3 year span - who will probably maintain their (#3) status for those 2-3 years?

    *To me you win possibly 10 more games & remain close to .500 either way
    *You can spend millions of dollars to remain under .500 / & keep your potential SP prospects from receiving quality starts in a meaningless season.
    *If you are not making a run for the playoffs - get those prospects some outings. Get the kinks out this year and full go in 2014.

  20. #140
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    555
    Like
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    That's funny, we signed the low cost no upside variety.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.