Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rays on the move?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rays on the move?

This article does not give much reason for hope for the future of major league baseball in the Tampa Bay area.

But if they move, where would they go?

What's a market currently without an MLB team that could support one? It doesn't seem to me like there are that many.

North Carolina (Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte)? Tennessee (Nashville or Memphis)?

Would San Juan, PR be a viable option?

The Yankees would never allow it, but i'd love to see them move to Brooklyn.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get a team back in Montreal. A competent owner and a new stadium (if Montreal builds one) could bring a pretty good fanbase.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
    The Yankees would never allow it, but i'd love to see them move to Brooklyn.
    This.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Too bad for the few fans in the Tampa area. It certainly does seem like the St. Pete Mayor/City councel would rather they leave then let them move to the more profitable city of Tampa. Those cities must have some sort of animosity, I'd like to think if the Twins gave Minneapolis two options, we leave the state or move to St. Paul, Minneapolis would concede and allow the move across the river.

Portland OR has always been discussed as a relocation target in the past but I'm sure the Mariners would put up a fight. Tennessee seems like the logical fit, they'd be taking territory away from St. Louis, Atlanta and Cincinatti so it's not as though any one team has a strangle hold on the region. Easy compromise.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 01-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    As TV becomes a larger source of revenue then you would have to look at a market that could bring in the numbers to make the money. Tampa is at 13, Portland 22. Charlotte 24, Rahliegh/Durham is close and is 27. Atlanta would not be happy with the latter. Florida just does not seem to be interested in regular season baseball. 20 thousand a game in Tampa. Close to 30000 were coming to the dome to watch the same level of play. Miami is a different argument for attendance. They need to figure out they need to sustain winning to build a fan base.
    Last edited by old nurse; 01-25-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Van Couver.
    maybe Austin/ SanAntonio Texas (there are lots of businesses in Austin)
    New York City/ across the river in New Jersey
    Tri City area in North Carolina

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Or how about what is done in Soccer where there is a relegation league for those teams that didn't win enough? Every year a couple of teams change--bottom two from the premier and top two from relegation.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Oh man, San Juan would be awesome.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a possible option is honestly contraction. Tampa Bay clearly doesn't have the support to maintain a franchise, and Kansas City isn't exactly crushing it either. Eliminate those two, move the Brewers back to the AL, and you have two 14 team leagues. Top 4 teams from each league make the playoffs, no divisions. You play 9 games against every other league opponent, 2 against each team in the other league, and then 3 each against 3 designated rivals (for the Twins it could be Sox, Tigers, Brewers. Yankees would be Red Sox, Mets, and maybe Phillies). That's 154 games a year, you strengthen the talent pool, and you have a (mostly) balanced schedule, so the East Coast teams can't whine about tougher schedules.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    So MLB is just going to tell KC to suck it and close up shop? Dispite being terrible for basically two decades, they aren't in the bottom 5 in attendance under any metric. Contraction isn't an option, unlike 2000, when baseball was still struggling to recover from the strike. Baseball once again is very popular, there will be plenty of places clamoring for the Rays if they officially let it be known they are free agents.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, no chance contraction happens. Even if it did it would not involve the Royals. They have a strong fanbase but little reason to show up at the park. If KC ever gets a winning team, you will see just how big the Royals are in the Greater KC area. Oakland would be a better candidate. But again, contraction aint happening

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Monterrey, Mexico would seem to be a possibility as their Mexican League team attendance surpasses any American minor league team's. Also, they would virtually become a national team as opposed to a regional team so would have great TV and licensing potential. They already play in a 27,000 seat facility (below) so could put in a few extra outfield seats to easily expand to 33,000 - 35,000 seats.

monterrey.jpg
    Last edited by Teflon; 01-25-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added picture link

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    It really is a location problem; a well-sited stadium could draw OK in that area. Baseball doesn't want to pull out of a market that size. Oakland seems to be a bigger mess.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some interesting ideas.

Going back to the days of 3 teams in NYC? That would be cool, but I don't think it would happen.

Montreal is a thought. At 4 million people, it's twice the size of the US metro areas mentioned.

Nashville seems like a strong choice, Olney has been tweeting about that. Seems like a big enough market that is in enough of a gap for any existing team to object to too strongly.

PR and Mexico? Depending on how far out we're talking, MLB may be ready for that.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just looked up the biggest TV markets, since that seems to be a major source of revenue. I'm surprised to find Tampa-St. Pete is 13th. That's two ABOVE Mpls-St. Paul.

The biggest one without a team is #19 - Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne. I can't imagine the Marlins would be thrilled with that, but it makes some sense. Orlando could definitely build them a stadium, I would think.

And right after them is Portland, which has a pretty successful AAA team.

It's an interesting list. I think the smallest is Milwaukee at #35. New Orleans is #53. They'd make an interesting choice.

Right after that is Sacramento, who is about to lose a basketball team. (Which, BTW, is one ahead of St. Louis?)

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I just looked up the biggest TV markets, since that seems to be a major source of revenue. I'm surprised to find Tampa-St. Pete is 13th. That's two ABOVE Mpls-St. Paul.

The biggest one without a team is #19 - Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne. I can't imagine the Marlins would be thrilled with that, but it makes some sense. Orlando could definitely build them a stadium, I would think.

And right after them is Portland, which has a pretty successful AAA team.

It's an interesting list. I think the smallest is Milwaukee at #35. New Orleans is #53. They'd make an interesting choice.

Right after that is Sacramento, who is about to lose a basketball team. (Which, BTW, is one ahead of St. Louis?)

I think that baseball market and the TV market do not correlate that much. Got to look at the demographics. Orlando has no problem supporting an NBA team and would probably be a better choice than Tampa for an MLB team as well. Tampa/St.Pete has a lot of retirees compared to places like Orlando (and the Cities), which makes it a bad sports market. Plus there is something else about Florida that makes it really different than most places in the country: Most people in FL are from some place else and they still support their original home teams.

Wonder if the RTP area in NC can support an MLB team. The demographics are about right. Isn't that where Pohlad and Ryan wanted to move the Twins?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    PR and Mexico? Depending on how far out we're talking, MLB may be ready for that.
    But are the players and their families?
    -----

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 332 Times in 221 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post

This. Tampa Bay has already played a couple of series at Disney Wide World of Sports. Presumably, that stadium could be readily upgraded to major league standards and/or another stadium built on or near Disneyworld premises.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This. Tampa Bay has already played a couple of series at Disney Wide World of Sports. Presumably, that stadium could be readily upgraded to major league standards and/or another stadium built on or near Disneyworld premises.
    That is more realistic. The DWWS is a real money maker for Disney and ESPN and I just don't think they will let it go.

There is a large huge open air stadium in Orlando that is empty (other than a single football game a season and some concerts) and is scheduled to receive a $175 million facelift in 2014. Can Citrus Bowl host baseball games? Probably. And the experience will probably be better than Tropicana, other that the fact that the area around Citrus Bowl is not that great. Problem with having a ballpark around Disney is that the major roads around Orlando are crazy busy and it will be a pain to get there.
    -----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast