Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jair Jurrjens to Baltimore

Jair Jurrjens

My apologies if this was already posted by someone else. I didn't see a topic dedicated to Jurrjens, so I figured I may as well post thoughts and get the discussion started.

Bottom line: Do we take a chance on him and how much do we pay him?

Positives:
    -26 years old (27 in Jan)
    -Had success prior to 2012 and was selected to 2011 AS Game.
    -Young enough to possibly "get fixed" and improve his game.
    -Probably won't sign a big money deal anywhere and could be a trade chip if/when we aren't contending by trade deadline.
    -Low risk/high reward type of signing.

Negatives:
    -Really bad 2012.
    -Lost velocity
    -Braves non-tendered him for a reason. Some think they did it sooner than they should have (wasn't he guaranteed 5.5 million?? Sounds ok enough to take a risk on him for 2013, but they cut him for a reason ... should be a warning to the rest of the league).
    -Scott Boras client.
    -A lot of fans from other teams are interested in their teams signing him. Will drive up bidding from other teams and possibly put the Twins out of it right away (especially with Boras as his agent).

What do people think would be a fair contract for Jurrjens? Would he be open to a one year make good contract with a lot of incentives? I doubt it with many teams interested. It only takes one team to offer him something insane. I have a feeling he'll get a multi-year deal. Maybe he'll even get an offer better than what the Braves would have been able to sign him for?

I'm guessing he goes 1 year at 5 million with some sort of option for 7-8 million for 2014.

The Twins could take the risk needing so many starters. He's an interesting name. They just need out-bid other teams and be confident he can be fixed, which I doubt will happen with Rick Anderson as the pitching coach. We'll probably see him sign elsewhere, but it's still a fun topic to discuss.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    There's a post on this already that's less than a week old..
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel at this point the 2 top pitching targets for Minnesota are Myers and Jurrgens. I cant wait till we get at least one pitcher signed and out of the way.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    It would be nice getting a least one starting pitcher that was thrown to the curb by another team. I'm all for giving guys a second chance but I don't think we should use them to build the foundation of our pitching staff. Sign a few of these guys at 6th or 7th options, just in case we have an injury or one of these guys recaptures past success, but not as one of the 5 opening day starters.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He'll get his shot... problem is that he was never a big K guy to begin with and seems to have gone downhill. The Braves thought he was too expensive to offer more arb... I'm guessing he gets 1yr 3M at best.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    His required salary was $4.4M in arbitration at maximum decrease. He wasn't worth that for sure.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love reclamation projects, if the price is right... give him $2-3 million base, throw in a couple of incentives... I'd love an option... absolutely!

I felt like re-visiting this thread today. Just read somewhere on a Mets blog that Saunders wants three years and is sitting on a few two year offers hoping a third will come (the blog also said Santana was done after this year with the Mets as they won't re-sign him ... has it been that long since the trade already???).

The blog linked to an article of the Mets giving Jurrjens a shot. My question is why haven't the Twins been more involved in signing this guy? He was awful last year, but his career ERA is still 3.62 (or around that ... going from memory here). He's 26 years old and has a chance to figure it out. Why not toss a couple million his way for one year? As we get into later in the month, he'll probably even be cheaper.

I have no idea why we haven't heard more Jurrjens to the Twins hype? If they won't go three years for Saunders or give Marcum what he wants, why not go for youth with at least a chance of fixing things?

What am I missing here? It seems like no team is going after Jurrjens ...if we give Harden a chance, why not Jurrjens?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    If Jurrgens' loss of velocity is due to a medical one that would be your answer why no one has signed him. There are no reports out there that I can find.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not want anything to do with Jurrgens. Has good years and bad years, loss of velocity is a red flag.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I was told by someone closer to the Jurrjens camp that he would likely sign immediately if offered 1 year, $3 Million MLB contract. Not sure he'd get that at this point in the offseason, but he's got the right agent to get it.

Saunders wants that third year, guaranteed. Jair will get a minor league contract and invite, and probably have to settle for $1 milllion or so in the end. Hey, Capps and Rauch and LaTroy are still out there looking for work. And what does the future hold for Johan Santana!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    And what does the future hold for Johan Santana!
    Well, he's owed $31 million in 2013 ($25.5 million salary with a $25 million option for 2014 with a $5.5 million buyout).

Not to have fun at someone elses expense, but you've got to love a team overspend on old talent and now pay for it by hanging on to a back end of the rotation guy and pay him ace money. We still can't quite have the last laugh since we passed on Boston's deals in which any of the following Lester, Ellsbury, Masterson or Lowry would have been better than Guerra, Gomez, Humber and the other guy.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Per mlbtr. Orioles for $1.5M with incentives up to $4M. Uhhhhhhhhhhh

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Per mlbtr. Orioles for $1.5M with incentives up to $4M. Uhhhhhhhhhhh
    Another one bites the dust. Last spec-upside guy left available is Dallas Braden. When's the Brandon Webb audition?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 850 Times in 546 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Saunders wants that third year, guaranteed. Jair will get a minor league contract and invite, and probably have to settle for $1 milllion or so in the end. Hey, Capps and Rauch and LaTroy are still out there looking for work. And what does the future hold for Johan Santana!
    Missed it by that[ ] much!

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I'm disappointed in this too. On the other Jair Jurrjens thread, I said that he had quite the potential and the history to be a great reclamation project. I would have loved to have picked him up. Oh well.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Meh.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    Meh.
    I do agree this one is more meh for me too, but what the hell? Did the guy have next to no interest out there?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast