Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hicks leading candidate for CF job.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Hicks leading candidate for CF job.

Sounds like Hicks is front-runner for the starting CF job.

I'm not excited about this for several reasons; however, the options are probably slim.

Was the last successful player called up from AA by the Twins Joe Mauer?

Edit: Here's a copy of the Tweet:

Brian Murphy ‏@murphPPress
    Twins GM says Aaron Hicks leading candidate to secure CF job in camp and leapfrog AAA
    Last edited by Alex; 01-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Uh...I think it's clear that Mastro is the favorite, at least to begin the season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Sounds like Hicks is front-runner for the starting CF job.

I'm not excited about this for several reasons; however, the options are probably slim.

Was the last successful player called up from AA by the Twins Joe Mauer?
    Source?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we wait a while by starting Mastro we keep player control for one more year, right? Is it May 7th that we have to wait for?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Source?

Twins GM says Aaron Hicks leading candidate to secure CF job in camp and leapfrog AAA
    Last edited by Alex; 01-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    It only requires a couple of weeks in the minors, so middle of April.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Quote Originally Posted by mnfanforlife View Post
    Uh...I think it's clear that Mastro is the favorite, at least to begin the season.
    My fault for not including the tweet originally. I assumed it would be more universal information, especially as Nick Nelson retweeted it later.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thank you

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 195 Posts
    Why is everyone so against this? I get the whole service time issue but people need to relax, if Hicks really is the real deal it is highly likely the Twins will lock him up years before he ever hits free agency anyways.

If Hicks has a good spring training and earns the job you give him the job, if he struggles, then send him down for a bit, if he kicks ass then it's a great "problem" to have in regards to service time. I'd prefer the youngsters get as many at-bats this year against ML pitching so we can go into 2014 as strong as possible.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Why is everyone so against this? I get the whole service time issue but people need to relax, if Hicks really is the real deal it is highly likely the Twins will lock him up years before he ever hits free agency anyways.

If Hicks has a good spring training and earns the job you give him the job, if he struggles, then send him down for a bit, if he kicks ass then it's a great "problem" to have in regards to service time. I'd prefer the youngsters get as many at-bats this year against ML pitching so we can go into 2014 as strong as possible.
    Who is saying they're against it?

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

I just don't see the reason to call him up to start. I always like to see a player force the move rather than organization force the move. I also think if a player isn't really ready for the majors time up is mostly wasted.

Worry for me is his plate discipline. If he can show that he can lay off the low and outside slider and the high fastball in spring training, then maybe he's ready.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 367 Times in 230 Posts
    A week from now Ryan will have a totally contradictory quote. Something like: Twins GM looking for exprienced vet to man CF to start the season # foot in mouth

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't see the reason to call him up to start. I always like to see a player force the move rather than organization force the move. I also think if a player isn't really ready for the majors time up is mostly wasted.
    I'm with this. Hick's history has been as a slow-adjuster before he demonstrates mastery at a particular level. Even if he meaninglessly has a ST line of .450/.550/.950 there's absolutely no harm in waiting a couple weeks or even a tad bit longer, and plenty to gain in service time and confidence- and competence-raising. Once he's called up, I'd like to see it as a permanent move with no possibility for a return trip back for more "seasoning", like last year's fiasco with Dozier.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hunter would have been waiting a long time...In three of Hicks' five full seasons in the minors, he had OPS of at least .829. Hunter never had a full season in the minors with an OPS in the '800s. Hicks is a former first rounder, #14 overall, with 5 seasons in the minors. Time to take of the damn kid gloves already
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    A week from now Ryan will have a totally contradictory quote. Something like: Twins GM looking for exprienced vet to man CF to start the season # foot in mouth
    Beat me to it, if someone took every one of Ryan's quotes to the bank, just since September, they would have been flat-broke by the Spring Opener.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Hunter would have been waiting a long time...In three of Hicks' five full seasons in the minors, he had OPS of at least .829. Hunter never had a season in the minors with an OPS in the '800s. Hicks is a former first rounder, #14 overall, with 5 seasons in the minors. Time to take of the damn kid gloves already
    With that much invested in him, I would think kid gloves would be mandatory.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DelawareTwinsFan View Post
    Worry for me is his plate discipline. If he can show that he can lay off the low and outside slider and the high fastball in spring training, then maybe he's ready.
    ST is practically predictively meaningless as the "final determinant" for promotion or not.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    With that much invested in him, I would think kid gloves would be mandatory.
    I think it's the other way around...if he was good enough to draft that high, it shouldn't take him 6, 7 years to make the show. The kid has never had an OBP below .353 in any pro season. He's a plus defender. It's time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    ST is practically predictively meaningless as the "final determinant" for promotion or not.
    Ours for sure.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast