Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: Twins have 1 yr offer to Saunders; never made offer to Marcum

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Darren,

Is the best and most honest reporter in the State of Minnesota. KFAN was out of their minds to let him go and KSTP and ESPN 1500 were smart enough to hire him. We the fans are lucky to have him. Most reporters won't report anything negative regarding team moves, but many times he has disagreed with the front office. You just don't see that very often these days. If he said the Twins did not offer Marcum contract, it's a fact, they didn't.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 01-27-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Hey, I happen to enjoy Riverbrian's writing style. It's somehow...magical. And original.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 617 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    You are gonna keep coming... Directly or indirectly... You really want to start something... It's obvious to all what you are doing... Ill just take the punches... And keep asking you to ignore me... My 4th request.
    RB, don't feed the trolls, it's what you're doing just by responding to the snark. It's the childish garbage directed at you that will deter others from coming here, too bad some of the administrators decide to just pile on instead of taking the high road they lecture others to stay on.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    RB, don't feed the trolls, it's what you're doing just by responding to the snark. It's the childish garbage directed at you that will deter others from coming here, too bad some of the administrators decide to just pile on instead of taking the high road they lecture others to stay on.
    The number of thin-skinned, easily offended folks on the board are definitely a huge draw to newcomers though. Quite a selling point.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    The number of thin-skinned, easily offended folks on the board are definitely a huge draw to newcomers though. Quite a selling point.
    While being condescending towards others.

If you're referring to me, you're delusional. Personally I could care less but others that claim they do shouldn't be talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you're referring to me, you're delusional. Personally I could care less but others that claim they do shouldn't be talking out of both sides of their mouths.
    No, just the folks you're claiming are being "trolled" by having the inanity of their statements called out. God forbid anyone feel the need to speak against mindless drivel in what could be perceived as a "not nice" way. Sometimes the truth is just blunt and unfortunate.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 346 Times in 197 Posts
    Um, I'm not trolling, I'm being snarky to a series of posts stuffed with inane nonsense. However, I'm sure posters will flock to this site when they see all kinds of unchallenged 6 paragraph posts that are boiled down to this epic point: "Terry Ryan is GM of the Twins."

At some point you have to think about what you're trying to say and if your argument for it makes any sense. Just like any other place where there is a free exchange of ideas, if you can't formulate a meaningful point and then compound it with vapid nonsense - your not going to be taken seriously and you'll face ridicule. We've seen a rash of dumb posts lately ranging from conspiracies to nonsense. That's not going to bring in folks either.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 01-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I will share my GM thoughts (not that anyone cares):
    If I am going to depend on my Farm system moving forward and like all prospects, you never know who is going to pan out until they do - I am going to purchase high end FAs as they fit in around my Top prospects. I'm not going to spend money on high end FA on a position that could be a position of strength in a year or two. I am going to offer 1 year deals to low risk FAs and see what I have from my young guys in a year. Hicks might end up sucking as might Sano, Arcia and Meyer. Then that opens a whole new market of FAs we might need to sign. Just saying. If we work this approach and have a majority of the team personnel on rookie contracts in a year or two - We can change our 20 year track record and purchase high end need FAs moving forward. Lets work from prospects to FAs instead of purchasing FAs and hoping prospects fit in where needed. This way you have a win win situation. Not this year, but from 2014 until..............

My philosophy. I don't want band aid fixes for the next 3 years, because we have too many declining vets with higher than deserved contracts that we are tied to. Everyone is asking for a FO change of philosophy. We got that in last years draft. Let's be patient and see if we overpay for quality Top FA help when truly needed (playoff contenders). Getting excited over 7-10 extra wins right now does nothing for me as a fan. I want to get excited over hard play on the field and player progress from my called up prospects. That's what gets me excited, because then I know good things are coming.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    we have too many declining vets with higher than deserved contracts that we are tied to.
    No. The Twins have one. It's Mauer. And he isn't necessarily in the "decline" phase of his career just yet, but he's the only one with a significant contract that carries him beyond 2014. That is nowhere near "too many" long term deals. Jesus Christ.

C'mon Fro, I appreciate the snark as much as you but there is a difference between speaking out against what you deem to be "mindless drivel" and just gratuitously ridiculing someone. I think Lev made his point earlier, the last one was just being a d**k. I'll take back my troll reference.

C'mon Fro, I appreciate the snark as much as you but there is a difference between speaking out against what you deem to be "mindless drivel" and just gratuitously ridiculing someone. I think Lev made his point earlier, the last one was just being a d**k. I'll take back my troll reference.
    I won't make excuses for good snark, especially when someone seems unable to improve their ability to make a meaningful point without a sea of irrelevance surrounding it.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 01-27-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Um, I'm not trolling, I'm being snarky to a series of posts stuffed with inane nonsense. However, I'm sure posters will flock to this site when they see all kinds of unchallenged 6 paragraph posts that are boiled down to this epic point: "Terry Ryan is GM of the Twins."

At some point you have to think about what you're trying to say and if your argument for it makes any sense. Just like any other place where there is a free exchange of ideas, if you can't formulate a meaningful point and then compound it with vapid nonsense - your not going to be taken seriously and you'll face ridicule. We've seen a rash of dumb posts lately ranging from conspiracies to nonsense. That's not going to bring in folks either.
    You keep referencing what was said in post 64, which you first responded to in post 65 and then again a few posts later and then again almost 30 posts later. I have no problem with you taking issue with what was said and calling someone out, nicely or not, if someone is going to post they have to know how to take a shot, but at what point are you just kicking someone once they're down?

but at what point are you just kicking someone once they're down?
    When they improve their content and I keep mocking them. If the points don't get any more meaningful, insightful, interesting, or (god forbid!) well stated, then what do you expect as a poster? I appreciate that you feel the need to police good form in debate, but my snark wouldn't exist if there wasn't a continued lack of intelligent content.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not one to feel bad for someone who may have their feelings hurt because they state something completely stupid and then have that stupidity pointed out. If they continue to post similarly, then the responses will remain similar. If they bring something more substantial to the table, the response will change in kind. I've seen it happen before, and would imagine it's not impossible that it would happen again.

I've known many of these posters for many years, some upwards of a decade, and snarky responses (good natured, playful, or otherwise) is part of their/our makeup. The ones I've known come from a board that had a relatively high level of discourse on most topics, and yes, we can be snippy when some responses fall into the Dickbert-esque soundbite level. There will always be a variety of opinions, but when one side tries to throw out facts, and the other counters with things like "give me a team of Nick Puntos any day of the week, he just knows how to play ball!" (just a hypothetical example) it can be frustrating. Snark is a large portion of this group's natural response to something incredibly vague and mindless being used as a counterpoint to specifics in a discussion. If one half of the discussion doesn't seem to want to make an effort to give a response worth being taken seriously, then the other half probably won't respond with any kind of seriousness.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Definitions on Twins Daily

"What I said is snarky" meaning: Excuse to be rude
    "Troll" Why do you post what I disagree with
    "Thin skinned" How dare you call me on my bad behavior.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    The poster you guys seem to be rallying against is as good-natured as anyone on this board. It's pretty easy to just skip over his posts if they bother you. There is a difference between being snarky and just being an *******.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    Definitions on Twins Daily

"What I said is snarky" meaning: Excuse to be rude
    "Troll" Why do you post what I disagree with
    "Thin skinned" How dare you call me on my bad behavior.
    Go ahead and add "Why are you being mean?" to "why did you call out my stupidity?"

Go ahead and add "Why are you being mean?" to "why did you call out my stupidity?"
    Don't forget "Why is it bad to have a different opinion" meaning "Hey, don't call out why my ideas are factually wrong to borderline insane"

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I appreciate that you feel the need to police good form in debate.
    Quoted for irony and posterity.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast