Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: Twins have 1 yr offer to Saunders; never made offer to Marcum

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    The poster you guys seem to be rallying against is as good-natured as anyone on this board. It's pretty easy to just skip over his posts if they bother you. There is a difference between being snarky and just being an *******.
    Forrest Gump was a good-natured person. Doesn't mean I would have to hold his take on things in an equal regard to everyone else.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quoted for irony and posterity.
    Is this "champion of the lesser poster" thing that appears to be happening the beginning of some kind of advanced degree in social work?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    This thread could use a serious dose of Joe Saunders news, good, bad, or otherwise.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Don't forget "Why is it bad to have a different opinion" meaning "Hey, don't call out why my ideas are factually wrong to borderline insane"
    Don't forget " I think your post is stupid" meaning " Perhaps you didn't hear me the first 12 times, " I think your post is stupid and I'm fishing for some likes in my profile".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    No. The Twins have one. It's Mauer. And he isn't necessarily in the "decline" phase of his career just yet, but he's the only one with a significant contract that carries him beyond 2014. That is nowhere near "too many" long term deals. Jesus Christ.
    I'm not sensitive that way. I don't mind the sarcasim.
    The "Too Many" was referring to the FAs you wanted to purchase this season (Marcum / Jackson / McCarthy / etc.) for at least 3 years - not the people already on your team now (Mauer).

None of the above guys (FAs) are worth 3 years to me. 1 or 2 years sure - Not 3 years - Thats all.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrodaddyG View Post
    Is this "champion of the lesser poster" thing that appears to be happening the beginning of some kind of advanced degree in social work?
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not championing the poor efforts some people put into their posts; I've spoken out about it many times. I was just giving the Sheriff of Discourse a little guff.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I'm not sensitive that way. I don't mind the sarcasim.
    The "Too Many" was referring to the FAs you wanted to purchase this season (Marcum / Jackson / McCarthy / etc.) for at least 3 years - not the people already on your team now (Mauer).

None of the above guys (FAs) are worth 3 years to me. 1 or 2 years sure - Not 3 years - Thats all.
    And none of them are part of the Twins, so your using the statement (and I quote) " I don't want band aid fixes for the next 3 years, because we have too many declining vets with higher than deserved contracts that we are tied to." is preposterous. After this season the Twins will be on the hook for (roughly, without looking up the exact figures right now) $50M, if not less, depending on if guys like Willingham get moved before 2014. For a team whose budget could likely sit comfortably at twice that amount, it has all the signs of a piss-poor effort to put together a competitive product after talking a good game about the new stadium finally putting them in the revenue bracket where they could make the next step forward for the franchise.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have no intention of starting a flame war here. Didn't intend it When I posted my "stupid" idea of trusting the GM even when my confidence has been shaken. I don't intend it now.

This site could be such a Godsend to the over the top Twins Fan like myself. Many of us are like me. Our Twins and baseball passion has branched beyond what our real life local friends can compete with. Our degree of Twins passion leaves us isolated for someone to discuss with and this is what makes Twinsdaily a special place. At least it could be... But I fear the dark side is winning.

There are so many posters that I agree with and posters that I disagree with from time to time but I respect every one of them... Even when I post a contrary opinion.

Posters here range from retired 70 plus farmers to 12 year olds and i don't believe we know exactly who we are responding to. A 12 year old could be torn apart... Regardless... I think all should be welcome but it ain't my board. Tolerance is a lost art I guess.

Im not gonna defend my level of stupidity. I shouldn't have to and neither should anyone else... I don't claim to be superior... I claim to have an opinion and have never been afraid to share it. Maybe I mis-assessed the purpose of this gathering place.

I've just personally had it with one poster and I've decided to no longer care about any discussion with him going forward and am kindly asking for him to ignore my posts. My skin is of decent thickness... I have no problem with snark or snark in my direction. I can laugh at it... I really can... i just think that this is miles from the definition of snark. It has surpassed that.

Other than a flame war of sorts... Asking to be ignored is the only sensible option that I can think of.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 01-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not championing the poor efforts some people put into their posts; I've spoken out about it many times. I was just giving the Sheriff of Discourse a little guff.
    I expect no less from the two of you. (But the social work thing wouldn't be entirely nonsensical, either.)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quoted for irony and posterity.
    Yeah, I'm sure that analogy really works well. Do tell, you're comping the Twins 4th starter position with....what was it?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is a lesser poster? Guys who don't feel your point of view.

It appears that some (not all) have felt this way about FO decisions since ownership took over 28 years ago. That being said - Who are these mad man complaining about the same issues of $ being spent?
    I would like to see discussions of some inovative ways to get FAs here. Its obvious FO hasn't been listening for some 10,220+ days. Is money the only thing that will get FAs to MN?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Our degree of Twins passion leaves us isolated for someone to discuss with and this is what makes Twinsdaily a special place. At least it could be... But I fear the dark side is winning.
    Passion can be negatively critical as well. I think this is where this issue has become so divisive lately. It's ok to be a fan and be upset or angry. It should be perfectly understandable why that is. All of us still posting negatively about the Twin's offseason still care enough about the team to be upset. Hearing inane conspiracy theories and lectures from people that we aren't being true fans to be critical or that we're not Terry Ryan so how dare we say anything, etc. is vapid and obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Don't forget " I think your post is stupid" meaning " Perhaps you didn't hear me the first 12 times, " I think your post is stupid and I'm fishing for some likes in my profile".
    Meh, the like crowd is the 4-5 people holding this bizarre stance that no one should say anything negative. You keep saying I repeat myself, well, if it was sinking in the first time for some people perhaps I wouldn't have to. Hard to be snarky without being given ammo for it.

Unless you're snepp. (Now THAT's fishing for a like!)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1) Fielder selected Detroit because he grew up there and felt a connection in addition to the money.
    2) Aramis Ramirez selected Milwaukee because he wanted his kid (in Cicago) to watch him play on TV and that would not be possible if he went to West coast (games on Pacific time).
    3) Grienke almost selected Texas because his wife is from there - but Angel FO out bid the world to get him. Thank God for that TV contract they have.
    4) Swisher is a home town guy who will probably become the face of Indians. That will probably lead to FO career with organization after he retires.
    Money will generally be the end game, but there are also other reasons / factors these guys sign. We need to find that other "it" to get these guys here. I never hear people talk about why a guy should sign here besides money. They are not all hired guns.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post

What is a lesser poster? Guys who don't feel your point of view.

It appears that some (not all) have felt this way about FO decisions since ownership took over 28 years ago. That being said - Who are these mad man complaining about the same issues of $ being spent?
    I would like to see discussions of some inovative ways to get FAs here. Its obvious FO hasn't been listening for some 10,220+ days. Is money the only thing that will get FAs to MN?
    Offering people market value of their worth, while not being in the twilight of their career, is a good starting point..because they dont now. Or just target guys from Minnesota so they Can play for their home team at a discount (oh wait a second....)

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 611 Times in 235 Posts
    (Now THAT's fishing for a like!)
    Ask and ye shall receive?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fro and Lev: Just cut it out. You might think you're doing the world a big favor by pointing out how stupid everyone else is but no one wants to hear it. The "Ignore" feature is readily available if you don't care for what a particular user has to say. You don't need to publicly ridicule them in an effort to prove to everyone how smart you are. Much of this "snark" is neither clever nor funny, but simply mean-spirited. Piling onto a good-natured poster after he's politely asked you to stop repeatedly is pathetic and embarrassing.

Why don't you let us worry about what will bring new users to the site and stop terrorizing/annoying the people who are already here?

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts
    Meh, the like crowd is the 4-5 people holding this bizarre stance that no one should say anything negative.
    You keep saying this but outside of one notable "the sun is always shining" poster, I don't get it. I know there are a few posters who tend to steer clear of saying anything negative but you seem to go out of your way to take that as some personal affront to your right to be negative. I don't take anyone's sunny disposition to mean I don't have a right to be negative about some things.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Passion can be negatively critical as well. I think this is where this issue has become so divisive lately. It's ok to be a fan and be upset or angry. It should be perfectly understandable why that is. All of us still posting negatively about the Twin's offseason still care enough about the team to be upset. Hearing inane conspiracy theories and lectures from people that we aren't being true fans to be critical or that we're not Terry Ryan so how dare we say anything, etc. is vapid and obnoxious.
    People get your passion. They just want some creative idea other than "We have more money to spare. Offer more - Offer more." GMs make some excellent decisions (the trades) and GMs make some bad decisions (FAs) throughout baseball. Lets see where TR takes the Twins. He has been the guy who makes the decision for 1 year. Assistants don't make decisions - GMs do. Let the man work his plan. I think it funny how quick people call for a guys throat on this board.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Offering people market value of their worth, while not being in the twilight of their career, is a good starting point..because they dont now. Or just target guys from Minnesota so they Can play for their home team at a discount (oh wait a second....)
    I get everyones point who thinks this way. I'm stating that this has been the Twins way for 28 years with Free Agency. Ownership and FO changed their draft philosophy in 2012. That's the 1st Step. They improved farm system with trades. That's the 2nd step. Let's see if they change their philosophy with FAs as they move forward. Asking for a complete change in philosophy in 1 year might be a bit much. Especially when you are calling for TRs head. Can we at least enjoy the first changes of the last 28 years.
    Last edited by lightfoot789; 01-27-2013 at 06:44 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast